Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DV  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2021 04:07:24(UTC)
DV

Australia   
I have looked at all the Märklin publications and leaflets on how to connect boosters to layouts and am still somewhat confused.

All the explanations are basically connect booster to track, then CS2/3 but isolate boosted areas. Sounds simple, yes?

Well, no actually.

The diagrams that are provided really do not answer all my concerns.

OK, a simple explanation of the layout.

It is our club layout (see photo 1) that has 63 points that are all lit and get power from the track, and of course they take a huge chunk of power leaving us to run a maximum of three locos without any sound functions, or two locos with sound functions (yes, we know where on the CS2 it shows how much power is being used). We are having our Christmas breakup on 12/12 and would like to solve this problem so that all members can run as many trains as we can.

So we have decide to split the layout into three circuits.

Green circuit is one main line, yellow circuit is the second main line (includes the off shoot to a turn around), and grey is the huge yard (have not included all the track work in the yard).

maina

Am I correct that we isolate the three circuits on the tracks shown in the next four photos with the short red lines?

a and b

c

UserPostedImage

e

I know that each circuit requires the CS2 and a booster each, with each item having their own dedicated power unit.

We have the (CS2) model booster, 60174, with the corresponding power unit, 60052, and we the (CS3) model booster, 60175, with the corresponding booster, 60041.

I know they are cross compatible, that is, you can use either one on both CS models.

Now the big question (and I have looked at the drawings and explanations of what each connection is at the back of a CS2) where do you connect the boosters to the CS2 please.

I know one booster (60174) goes to the booster connection.

Where can we connect the second booster?

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

For those that have SCARM, I have also included the file for our club layout. Don't worry about the the missed connections, with the size of the layout, we have a lot of give and take as far as the tracks are connected. And between what's on the designed layout and actually put on the table can have a bit of a variance.

reworkslim06fixup.scarm (269kb) downloaded 31 time(s).

Thank you.

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2021 13:06:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
First booster connects to controller, second booster connects to first booster. They are daisy chained.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2021 13:14:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes you isolation points look correct.

With your proposed scheme, you have each booster being available at almost all points around the layout. Assuming you use multiple feeder wires, this means you need to have separate feeder wires present almost everywhere. You may save wiring if you used separate boosters for different 'regions' of the layout instead of specific tracks. i.e. you could have the three districts for the top middle and lower parts of your track diagram. the manner in which you operate trains will need to be considered. Generally a storage yard just has only a few locos on at any given time.
It may also reduce the number of isolation points needed.
Dale
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2021 13:38:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
I know one booster (60174) goes to the booster connection.
Where can we connect the second booster?
Boosters are not daisy-chained. Boosters can be connected to terminals. You do not have to use the booster port of the CS2. If you need boosters at remote places, you can connect all boosters to terminals.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 25 November 2021 14:04:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
ah yes missed that it is the newer type, you connect them to terminal modules, sorry.
Older ones were daisy chained.
Dale
Offline DV  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2021 07:28:38(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Boosters are not daisy-chained. Boosters can be connected to terminals. You do not have to use the booster port of the CS2. If you need boosters at remote places, you can connect all boosters to terminals.

Sorry for being thick, but what do you describe as a terminal?

Is the CS2 a terminal?

Or is there another item that Märklin produce that can be described as a terminal?

And if there is, what is its catalogue number please?

The CS2 at the back has these connections:-

cs2

Circled in red is where you can connect one booster (explanation squared in red, disregard the booster number as it is incorrect)

Now where do I connect the second booster please?

Am I missing something?

If anyone can provide a sketch of how they connect, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your advice.

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2021 07:51:21(UTC)
H0

Is the CS2 a terminal?
Yes.

Or is there another item that Märklin produce that can be described as a terminal?
And if there is, what is its catalogue number please?
The old terminal is 60125. The new funeral-coloured terminal is 60145, technically they should be the same. 60126 is an extension cord for terminals.
See description in the 60174 manual.
Terminals are daisy-chained and the first terminal connects to the "output" port.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0