Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gunnar  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2021 13:18:31(UTC)
Gunnar

Norway   
Hi all,

I have bought decoders from Decoderwerk and fitted them to according to instructions on my C track turners. A snug fit and they work according to instructions.
They have been programmed one by one and addressed correctly. There are 6 turners consisting of 3 20671 and 3 24672. Everything works fine as long as I mount them
on the same track.
The track are two ovals with three turners on the left and same number on the right. I am sure you all will understand the line setup. To the left I have the numbers 1, 2 and 3.
On the left hand I have them numbered 4,5 and 6.
They all work perfect save for one thing: As soon as I connect them all up to both oval (the outer one) they suddenly change their behavior. Then only two works as they should. It is the outside oval that somwhow 20200321_163532.jpg cause them to suddenly fall out.

Anyone have an experience with these decoders please let me know. I have trouble uploading pictures but gave it a try.

Gunnar
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gunnar
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2021 14:10:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
When you enlarge the photo, it's upright! You aren't alone in uploading pics. I've only read good reviews about Decoderwerks. Wether a decoder is made bu ESU, them, Marklin,
Viessmann, etc. if they use quality chips, and do quality work, I think they are good. The current situation I have learned from someone in the medical device industry is a resin shortage affecting certain electronic parts makers. It's used to insulate certain chips, etc. from wires, I.C. boards, and heat.
Offline Gunnar  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2021 15:05:06(UTC)
Gunnar

Norway   
Thanks for your answer and I myself feel the decoders are very very good. But the trouble starts when connecting the last one to the outer track then all
goes haywire.
The track plan attached may indicate my bottom layout andtrack1 bottom.jpg. It is the outer one to the right in the photo that puzzles me. Unconected to
the outer track all is well.
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2021 15:29:12(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

You need to isolate the problem.

Divide the outer track in segments, each segment with just one turnout.

Add one segment at a time to the inner oval and test it before add other segment.

This way will move you towards understanding what is creating the issue.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Gunnar  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2021 17:27:08(UTC)
Gunnar

Norway   
Already done and as long as I use the oval tracks all is now well. The fault may be on the upper tracks so these have been cut off. I shall follow your advice and
connect the upper tracks in portion starting on the left side where I have C tracks. Right side is M tracksUpper tracks.jpg

Thanks all of you for wonderful hints and help.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2021 23:44:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Gunnar
From what you describe, it seems that when you connect the 2 loops, the digital signal is distorted.
One possibility is that some RF noise protection is still connected to one of your rails.
One quick way of locating the problem is to start with the good loop and then connect groups of rails and check. If OK, extend the layout. If not, inspected closely the added sections
Another way is to check the M track sections (full length straight or full length R1 sections) as they may have capacitors between the B and the O. While on C track it has always been an add-on circuit coupled with a power feeder.
Cheers
Jean

Offline Gunnar  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2021 08:48:52(UTC)
Gunnar

Norway   
Thanks for your advice and the fault may be a capacitor. I shall check evert section and add them one by one and find the fault. On the C track everything now runs perfect!

To all of you: Many many thanks and I shall keep you informed. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline Gunnar  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2022 18:44:10(UTC)
Gunnar

Norway   
Upper tracks.jpg
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gunnar
From what you describe, it seems that when you connect the 2 loops, the digital signal is distorted.
One possibility is that some RF noise protection is still connected to one of your rails.
One quick way of locating the problem is to start with the good loop and then connect groups of rails and check. If OK, extend the layout. If not, inspected closely the added sections
Another way is to check the M track sections (full length straight or full length R1 sections) as they may have capacitors between the B and the O. While on C track it has always been an add-on circuit coupled with a power feeder.
Cheers
Jean

Problem solved but it was not easy. I removed the M curved turner on the right and changed the two way turner on top to ordinary turners. Then it suddenly worked. Beats me but using a mulitmeter I found there must have been a bad section on the top. Carefully adding tracks one by one did the trick. The M tracks have always been reliable as far as I remember when I had Märklin way back in the 60's.
So far so good and here are a few photos of todays layout

Wish you all a wonderful weekend and I will use the old system changing the M- turners.
IMG_20220122_162204.jpgIMG_20220122_162223.jpgIMG_20220122_162213.jpgIMG_20220122_162218.jpg