Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2021 06:02:29(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi,

I bought a little class 260 diesel shunter a few months ago and have had some serious grief with it.

It would occasionally just stop or refuse to start. Always had lights and sound but no motion. Poking or pushing did no good but picking it up and giving it a shake fixed it 9 out of 10 times.

Checked wiring, brushes, resoldered a few very poor looking solder joints, with no joy.

Eventually worked out the motor was locking up solid. I noticed that when the motor shaft was "out" the motor could not be turned (see picture for what that means). Pushing it "in" with a small screwdriver fixed it and shaking it around achieved the same thing.

I assume that some part of the armature was fouling the brushes or surrounds.

Fitted a 0.5mm washer to end of the motor shaft to keep it 'in" and it now seems cured (old VCRs are a great source of small bits).

There were a few tantrums along the way so I'm passing the info along.

Why didn't I return it? Because it could have been gone for a very, very long time in our messed up COVID transport system...

Class 260.jpg

Class 260-2.jpg

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2021 12:55:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Good repair work! Mine is the red DB Cargo version. It runs well, and has telex couplers. You may notice some gear turning imprints on the sides of one inner wheel sets as it runs in.
Others have complained of this, but I think it is normal, because of the gearing size for correct scale speed.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2021 21:38:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Initial suspicion would be a slight manufacturing issue. Either the armature is defective, ie axle length or the gear length, or possibly chassis or bearing plate slightly out of tolerance. Gotta be something mechanical.

Only way you could determine 100%?would be comparison with another identical but non-failing unit and measure all the possible dimensions.

If we had others reporting the same thing it could be interesting to do.

But I think your work-around is an easy and probably long-term solution.

Well done and good diagnosis
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image