Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chrome58  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2021 18:00:51(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Hello,

I have to opportunity to buy some freight cars of the 47760 Märklin tin plate US box cars set.
But I would like to convert them to DC (as I run on Trix tracks) and Kadee coupling.

For models which are not tin plates, the conversion is simple: the DC axles E320389 and the Kadee couplers E325482 do the trick, as the trucks are made of plastic, and the couplers are removable. But the tin plates model seem to have trucks made of metal, and non removable couplers.

What would be the best solution for this conversion?

Thank you.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2021 19:58:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Chrome58 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have to opportunity to buy some freight cars of the 47760 Märklin tin plate US box cars set.
But I would like to convert them to DC (as I run on Trix tracks) and Kadee coupling.

For models which are not tin plates, the conversion is simple: the DC axles E320389 and the Kadee couplers E325482 do the trick, as the trucks are made of plastic, and the couplers are removable. But the tin plates model seem to have trucks made of metal, and non removable couplers.

What would be the best solution for this conversion?

Thank you.

The Marklin Spare parts list for this set lists two wheel sets (Radsatz) of which E700190 appears to be the three rail (Marklin) set, and E700600 appears to be the two rail (Trix) wheel set. each part number is for 2 axles at 6 Euro a pair.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2021 20:34:42(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
But the tin plates model seem to have trucks made of metal, and non-removable couplers.
They do not only seem to have that, they do have trucks made of metal, and non removable couplers. I see no other way than mutiliating the trucks (by "clipping" the couplers) and glue NEM pockets (e.g., SYMOBA products - see link below) to the underbody in which you can insert Kadee couplers. My recommendation: I would sell the tin plate freight cars.

SYMOBA (German website):
http://www.symoba-schniering.de/sym-produkte.htm
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Chrome58  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2021 20:41:11(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Thank you, but I'm a bit surprised to see that only a change of wheel set would do the trick Confused

I'm suspecting (but I'm not 100% sure) that the bogies are made of metal, and that there's no insulation between the bogie and the wheels. Here is a picture of the E323110, which is the bogie spare part number for these wagons (there's another spare part bogie listed - E322890, but I'm not sure what they correspond to).

bogie tin plate.png

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chrome58
Offline Chrome58  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2021 20:46:53(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
But the tin plates model seem to have trucks made of metal, and non-removable couplers.
They do not only seem to have that, they do have trucks made of metal, and non removable couplers. I see no other way than mutiliating the trucks (by "clipping" the couplers) and glue NEM pockets (e.g., SYMOBA products - see link below) to the underbody in which you can insert Kadee couplers. My recommendation: I would sell the tin plate freight cars.

I had already posted my other message before seeing your answer.
Yes, I came to the same conclusion.

I have not bought them yet, so ... I'm not going to.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chrome58
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2021 20:48:18(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Spare trucks:

E323110 = tin plate box car
E322890 = tin plate caboose
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek