Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline waterslip  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2021 02:18:44(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello Community,
I want to add a railroad gate crossing on a curve section as shown in the attached picture.
I would like the railroad gates to close automatically when the train approaches and open automatically once it passes, no control from me. and noticed the Faller 120171 might be a good fit for this.
I read the entire manual many times on the vendor's website, but I am not too sure on how to proceed.
I have a digital layout operated by a Marklin 6021 on a C Track system. It says in the manual to use a switch Track (24994), I am thinking of removing the sensor from that track and installing it on a normal curve track to get this to work, but I am not too sure.

Can anyone give any guidance on how to do this and what parts I would need ? or what kind of rail crossing would you recommend for this type of project. Much appreciated.

thumbnail_Image.jpg
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2021 10:21:01(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The 24994 contact track is also produced as a curved section under a different number. The the radius of the curve works then buying and installing the curved contact track would be the simple solution
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2021 13:24:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi (no first name)
This Faller crossing is great but it is operated by a synchron motor. Big word to say it turns in one direction.
So on contact closes the gate and another one opens it. All is fine except for short time operation. Why? Because the motor needs an entire revolution.
For you you have 2 solutions:
- a simple one to install slider-operated contact tracks installed at least 50 cm away from the gate
- a more complex one of creating a long contact section on you C track to drive a relay which drive the crossing the closing command when the relay is activated and the opening one when it is not.
On this video you can see the exact same crossing which is controlled by a relay operated by Rocrail.
The crossing is also modified to accept the car system

Note that the Faller crossing needs approx 10 s to close and another 10 s to open (so you need to plan the distance of your contact tracks accordingly)

Since then, I have found a micro motor (total length 4 cm or so) from China (for 5 to 10€)to replace the one-direction motor that could for a new project be better than the included motor
micromoteur.jpg
The same moto is now sold by Faller under the number 180722
With a DC motor you may adjust the speed and reverse the direction immediately if another train is detected
I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline waterslip  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2021 15:59:57(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello mvp71, thank you for the response, that was my first thought too, is it Marklin part 24194/24294?

Salut Jean,
Really beautiful layout I remember watching this video elsewhere before this post, I am really impressed.
So you’re saying that on contact when one gate opens the other closes !? That’s weird.
Solution 1: I am not too sure what is a slider-operated contact tracks, can you please explain?

Solution 2: How do you make a long contact section and what kind of relay/part number do I need?
I have one curve track crossing (not double) and ideally I want the crossing to close when the train approaches from either sides and opens after it passes. I am guessing I need 2 sensors !?
Sorry I am all new to this please explain to me in baby steps.

Thanks,
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2021 12:08:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Thanks for your compliment on my layout
First, I apologise because the crossing I use is different from the 120171 (an older one with synchronous motor and contacts).
The crossing you consider 120171 is with an electronic logic circuit to drive the 2 gates and the blinking lights. It is digital capable (Motorola and DCC)

Here is its user's manual https://www.faller.de/xs_db/DOKU...tungen/120171_anl_01.pdf
It shows how to wire it internally but not how to connect it with contact tracks. It shows how to program it (set the digital operation)

Here is what I believe. The 120171 crossing provides 2 modes of operations (see page 26 of attached manual)

- Digital Mode 1 (CV49 bit0=0) the crossing behaves like a switch (red command to close it and green is ignored) The Faller text (German, English and French) is fuzzy. My understanding is in this mode, the wire "start" when connected to ground, will close the gate and - when disconnected - will open it.

- Digital Mode 2 (CV49 bit0=1) the crossing behaves like a switch (red command to close it and green to open it)
So, if my understanding is correct, the crossing is factory set in mode 1 where in this mode, connecting the "start" wire to the contact track section (50 cm on both sides of the crossing) will operate it.

Because I don't have it I cannot say more, sorry.

How to make a long contact section using Märklin C Track
- each C track section used in the zone must have its electrical bridges cut (at each end of the section underneath)
- at each end of the contact zone, a "center rail isolator", Märklin 74030, must be installed on the outside contact on the same side of track

Cheers
Jean
Offline waterslip  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2021 17:13:09(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Thanks Jean, may I ask how you did your roads ?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2021 19:51:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I did the roads using thin plywood, Faller laser street sections and the Faller groove cutter 161669
Here is a small video during construction and tuning

As you may see, at first it was not so smoothBigGrin
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB