Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2021 02:45:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Hate to ask really, so needy, but I'll be transiting Europe in September, Split, Zagreb, Graz, Munich, Koln, Brussels, Barcelona. If anyone has favorite train shops (Marklin Z preferred) in those cities, or just amazing shops they know of, I would try to visit them! I know a trip like this is ill advised in these turbulent Covid days but that's the travel plan, my insane travel plan... Here in the states 99% of train shops do not carry Z but maybe Europe is different?
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2021 03:31:38(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Sounds like a fantastic travel plan. Exciting!

I just wanted to remind you, between Munich and Koln is Goeppingen. Perhaps a museum visit would be an idea. The annual museum wagon in Z might still be available.

There are a few Z stores in Goeppingen, if they are still on business. Just having something right from Goeppingen would be special. I would consider advertising type items, they are hard to get here. General Marklin or even Mini Club items are nice in your collection room.

Just an idea, let us know how your trip goes and what you run into.

Safe travels, take good care.

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2021 03:37:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks!
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2021 04:06:51(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Great! Watch for the Geislingen gap a few miles out of Goeppingen by rail. It is a steep grade that attract many tourists because of this. Check it out this YouTube.

8. Is a fan favorite and the highway right next to the tracks makes it special. Geislingen is the home of WMF a longtime dinnerware manufacturer with extreme high quality.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2021 04:14:11(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
We are traveling by train from Zagreb to Koln with the day stops in Graz and Munich. I was wanting to get a Eurail pass but then it was cheaper to just go point to point. I'll research our routing tomorrow, I hope to see some sights from my window seat. I did just mention trying to get off the train in Goeppingen for a few hours to my wife, what a face!
I know we will be on ICE trains so I'll probably be in the market for one of those soon :)
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2021 04:31:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Wife’s like the Geislingen WMF factory sales outlet. Check their website.

It would seem traveling down from Stuttgart to Munchen, you would go right thru Goeppingen and Geislingen. The ICE travels this route.

I don’t think any of the ICE z models are still in production so old stock would be your only option.

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline IanC  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2021 09:23:26(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I'd be inclined to get the local trains as there is a supplement on the ICE and it probably doesn't stop at Geislingen. The Steiff teddy bear factory at Giengen is also popular. Change at Ulm. More shopping outlets at Metzingen, change at Plochingen. Ritter chocolate factory at Waldenbuch or a day at the lake Bodensee / Constance at Lindau is a nice day out too.

IanC
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2021 10:57:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Odd that I'm not familiar with WMF China. I have Villeroy and Boch Artemis, Graf Von Henneberg, and Johan Havilland.
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2021 11:50:30(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
In July, I was on staying in Barcelona. I visited 3 shops in the city.
One was closed (open only on request by telephone) (Cavall De Ferro, I think was the name... )
One was a disappointment (Rocafort), as I was mainly after 2nd hand stuff.
One was in the very center of the most touristic part on the city (Palau de Trenes) where I was finally able to pick up a used E44 with sound and moving pantos.

I was disappointed by the lack of stuff in the shops in general. Things have certainly changed this last decade. Unsure

Z-scale was present, but only in minimal cuantities.

If possible, you might want to go to Bazar Valira in Andorra, which is reachable from Barcelona, but will take you an entire day.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2021 13:37:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joes Modellbahn have quite a bit of Z scale items - check their website (search for 'Spur Z') - http://joes-modellbahnlaedle.net

To get to Joes, take the train from Stuttgart to Nürtingen (which goes through Plochingen). Change to the railcar that goes to Neuffen, get off at Frickenhausen (5 mins from Nürtingen). At the right end of the platform (looking at the rail with the platform behind you) cross the track and head up to the main street. Turn left on to the main street and you will see the shop about 200 metres away on the opposite side of the road. You can pre-purchase tickets at the DB ticket office at Stuttgart Hbf - if Conrad is still there he was really helpful to us numpties trying to find our way around.

You may also find Z Scale at ETS (https://www.modelleisenbahn.com) or at Modellbahn West (https://www.modellbahn-west.de/) but I don't know how easy or hard it is to get to those shops.

Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
There are a few Z stores in Goeppingen, if they are still on business

Hi Dwight, what Marklin shops are in Goeppingen? - we never did get to find any when there.

Edited by user 07 September 2021 22:36:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2021 17:27:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It's been a while since I was in Göppingen, but these were the shops back then. AFAIK they are still there:

1) Korb-Rau https://www.korb-rau.vedes.de/

2) Müller (it was either Apotheke or Drogerie) According to the Muller website there are two stores in Göppingen - https://www.mueller.de/meine-filiale/

3) I presume that the Märklin Store at the Märklineum should be on this list too.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by moderator 07 September 2021 22:55:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2021 17:32:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In Munich, there is definitely Gleis 11 right by the station and Bernhard Wild (BW Bahn).
In Barcelona there is Gotthard trens. Don't know how much Z they stock.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2021 17:53:58(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello Great topic!

When I was there at least two shops were in business. It is possible things change and they are not longer there. Here are the two:

Eiser Spielwaren
Kirchstrasse 1

Reik Spielwaren
Geislinger Str 24

Google street view may confirm if they are still there.

I was there a long time ago. It is possible when the Museum started the small vendors could not compete. For many years, Marklin had no factory sales, you had to know someone who knew someone who worked there.

Glad to clarify this, no sense searching Goeppingen looking for a business which does not exist. The only place I can positively confirm is still there is the Museum and the stock there should be impressive.

Best wishes

Dwight

Offline parakiet  
#14 Posted : 07 September 2021 20:32:10(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
When are you in Brussels? :)
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 07 September 2021 21:42:23(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
In Munich, there is definitely Gleis 11 right by the station and Bernhard Wild (BW Bahn).

Regards

Mike C

And Marklin have a franchise in the big department store across the road from the station in Munich.

If you can get to Waterloo from Brussels, Alpha Models seem to have a good stock of Z scale items.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2021 22:13:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
The only place I can positively confirm is still there is the Museum and the stock there should be impressive.

This picture of me with Forum Moderator Sancho Bartels (who sadly passed away a few days ago) was taken in the Marklin Store at Goeppingen and as you can see it is well stocked. There's more to the Store to the left of where we are.

resource_ashx.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline parakiet  
#17 Posted : 07 September 2021 22:15:07(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

If you can get to Waterloo from Brussels, Alpha Models seem to have a good stock of Z scale items.

Cheers

Chris

I can't really advise em. The prices in Germany are WAY better, as is the stock!

There is however a nice second hand store with nice Z scale prices: CC-rails. About the same distance from Brussels...
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 07 September 2021 22:25:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I would say that Gotthard is no longer a viable option in the center of Barcelona.
I understand that the partner owners split up, and the shop (what's left of it) is now located far from the city center. It might be mail-order only?!

I know that several members of this forum live in Catalonia, so maybe they could enlighten us further?
(after all I live near Bilbao, so am only a tourist in Barcelona anyway...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#19 Posted : 07 September 2021 22:30:27(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post

I can't really advise em. The prices in Germany are WAY better, as is the stock!

There is however a nice second hand store with nice Z scale prices: CC-rails. About the same distance from Brussels...

Thanks very much for that - there’s no substitute for local knowledge!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#20 Posted : 08 September 2021 01:05:59(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have relatives in Germany, a number in Munich. Never really looked at train shops while there. It was off my mind for many years.

But in relation to transport. Munich is brilliant to get around including their bus network every 10 minutes.

Also Germany has a Sunday family pass, so check that out for longer distance. If you are staying in a BB or private rental home, ask for the local travel voucher from them, they should just give it to you without asking, it is just a slip of paper with accommodation details. It was implemented by the government to support tourism and help individual private accommodation. We had a pass in Radolfzell southern Germany, and the pass was great.

There is a toy shop with trains in Radolfzell, Spiel and Freizeit Swars, Schützenstr 5, did buy one of my ICE sets there a long time ago. In 2014 they didn't have much. Been there on a number of trips.
Offline Zme  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2021 05:59:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Here is the link to the WMF Website. They make high end kitchenware not available all over the EU.

https://www.wmf.com/en/

If time allows, might be a nice stop. As Chris mentioned, a local may provide more current information about this. It is possible the factory outlet may not be open at this time.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline marklinist5999  
#22 Posted : 08 September 2021 11:27:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I did have a look at the WMF site Dwight! Currently they only ship to Austria and within Germany.
Some nice cutlery, etc. Nothing I need. Our kitchen is well equipped. Whustof Trident knives from Solingen, some tri ply heavy sauciers, a Skan pan stainless searing skillet, an All Clad roaster, and a Calphalon hybrid set.
Additionally, a vintage Cusinart processor, Kitchen aid stand mixer, some vitro ceramic pieces too. A deep covered French oval Dutch oven. Also a cast iron 6 qt. Dutch oven and a large covered skillet. A large glass stir fry pan with glass lid. Bakeware too, and a granite pastry work top on the island.
Cooking is done on (wishing we had an AGA, or a Wolf) dual fuel convection range. Induction might be nice too.
BBQ grill outside is a charcoal and gas Split hybrid. I added a rotisserie.
Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 08 September 2021 11:42:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Some years ago, at the local Salvation Army store none the less, I found complete sets of vintage Noritake Ranier pattern China, and an Eva Zeisel silver wheat mid century set by Havilland of Bavaria.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Zme
Offline Alsterstreek  
#24 Posted : 08 September 2021 12:13:51(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Did you already search for Marklin dealers on the Maerklin website? I just tried the English version, which does not work on my PC, but the German search function does. You have to select "Haendlersuche" and select/enter the three criteria shown for find shops in Munich ("Muenchen"). You can do the same for Cologne (by looking for "Koeln") etc.
M2021HS.png
Sampling one of the Munich dealers, BW-Bahn in the south of the city has Z gauge items in stock and is open for visits (mask required).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Zme  
#25 Posted : 09 September 2021 00:32:57(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Just noted, EBay USA has an ICE (88712) auction listed. These are not seen very often and seldom cheap.

Nice one.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#26 Posted : 09 September 2021 01:14:59(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
You are a good man Zme.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline STE-BM  
#27 Posted : 09 September 2021 02:12:45(UTC)
STE-BM

United Kingdom   
Just north of Stuttgart there is this store with a great selection including Z. Prices are also very competitive. besserePreise.com https://goo.gl/maps/aasveC49r2UKcm266

And add to your journey Goppingen, it’s just an hour south Stuttgart. The museum is a must see.

I’ve not been to Gratz area in Austria, I can only suggest Rainer’s shop in Innsbruck, beautiful city btw to visit.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 09 September 2021 13:57:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: STE-BM Go to Quoted Post

I’ve not been to Gratz area in Austria, I can only suggest Rainer’s shop in Innsbruck, beautiful city btw to visit.

Agree about Rainers shop. When we were in Innsbruck in 1997 the folk at the Tourist Information Centre were able to direct us to Rainers which impressed me.

Offline husafreak  
#29 Posted : 10 September 2021 11:03:23(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Brussels is a great city, been many times always fun, the museum was nice, mostly older locos but some great ones, amazing story of how Belgians built RR in China.
Offline husafreak  
#30 Posted : 10 September 2021 11:09:25(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I’ll check out the Marklin website for that shop info…
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 10 September 2021 12:11:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Is there a list anywhere of used toy fairs / market days that occur in Germany?

Steve Cook mentioned to me that he found out that there is a market day held in Stuttgart on the Sunday of the IMA. He found this out by chance when we were there in 2019, and there were a few sellers selling used Marklin items.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Zme
Offline Unholz  
#32 Posted : 10 September 2021 18:24:03(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Is there a list anywhere of used toy fairs / market days that occur in Germany?

There are lots of these lists - unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to find out which one is the most comprehensive and reliable. Some are limited to regions/Bundesländer.

Here is one example: http://www.modellbahnmar.../event/calendar/list.php

Or try your own Google search with terms such as Modelleisenbahnbörse, Modellbahnmarkt, Börsentermine, Spielzeugbörsen, etc.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#33 Posted : 11 September 2021 12:33:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Stefan, knowing the proper term to search for helps immensely.
Offline husafreak  
#34 Posted : 29 September 2021 10:08:52(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Well, I finally got to visit a shop in Aachen. Long story but the trip is a bust. Despite being vaccinated four months ago (not boostered yet) and good mask discipline (my wife is one of those who double masks) she started a cold (typical runny nose and sinus congestion) while on the cruise ship about a week after leaving home. She tested positive for Covid and I didn't. She spent the second half of our cruise in her cabin and the next week as well in quarantine in a bedroom in Dubrovnik. We had to cancel the car trip through Croatia, and the train trip through Austria, Germany and Belgium. Its is a good thing there are no train shops in Dubrovnik I would be broke by now! Speaking of broke all of the companies we contracted with for transportation or hotels or excursions refunded our money immediately when told why we were forced to cancel except for one, the Deutsche Bahn! They flatly refused saying we should have bought insured tickets. Maybe true but now I suspect their ridership might be "pressing on" with infectious diseases... Part boring and part very pleasant, I did enjoy the hikes and sightseeing in Croatia. I never got any symptoms and my wife did not suffer much, a few days and her cold was over, then just bored to death for over a week. After finishing the mandated quarantine we proceeded to my sister in laws house in Belgium. Boy, last minute airline tickets are frighteningly expensive! Good news finally, Aachen in Germany is 45km from us here so we got to go there yesterday and I got to visit https://www.huenerbein.de/ or "Model Center Hunerbein" which was a great shop and well worth the visit. More later, we're off to visit a train museum near the Chimay Abbey brewery, double the pleasure!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 29 September 2021 13:44:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Well, I finally got to visit a shop in Aachen. Long story but the trip is a bust. Despite being vaccinated four months ago (not boostered yet) and good mask discipline (my wife is one of those who double masks) she started a cold (typical runny nose and sinus congestion) while on the cruise ship about a week after leaving home. She tested positive for Covid and I didn't.

Ouch, you were lucky. That suggests she got infected just before or as you were boarding, the virus seems to take a week to 10 days to show symptoms. You were lucky not to get infected too.

At least you got most of your money back. Yes Hunnerbein is a great place to shop. I have picked up items there in the past when passing through.

Offline Zme  
#36 Posted : 29 September 2021 19:24:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, sorry to hear of your travel nightmare.

Sometimes the best which can be said is “you lived to tell about it”

I hope all are coming thru this experience okay and able to put it behind them. I have heard the loss of smell and taste could be with you for a while.

Take extra good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#37 Posted : 29 September 2021 20:52:03(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
No my wife is perfectly fine now, the symptoms were really minor, maybe due to having been vaccinated. Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline parakiet  
#38 Posted : 02 October 2021 18:48:45(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Well, I finally got to visit a shop in Aachen. Long story but the trip is a bust. Despite being vaccinated four months ago (not boostered yet) and good mask discipline (my wife is one of those who double masks) she started a cold (typical runny nose and sinus congestion) while on the cruise ship about a week after leaving home. She tested positive for Covid and I didn't. She spent the second half of our cruise in her cabin and the next week as well in quarantine in a bedroom in Dubrovnik. We had to cancel the car trip through Croatia, and the train trip through Austria, Germany and Belgium. Its is a good thing there are no train shops in Dubrovnik I would be broke by now! Speaking of broke all of the companies we contracted with for transportation or hotels or excursions refunded our money immediately when told why we were forced to cancel except for one, the Deutsche Bahn! They flatly refused saying we should have bought insured tickets. Maybe true but now I suspect their ridership might be "pressing on" with infectious diseases... Part boring and part very pleasant, I did enjoy the hikes and sightseeing in Croatia. I never got any symptoms and my wife did not suffer much, a few days and her cold was over, then just bored to death for over a week. After finishing the mandated quarantine we proceeded to my sister in laws house in Belgium. Boy, last minute airline tickets are frighteningly expensive! Good news finally, Aachen in Germany is 45km from us here so we got to go there yesterday and I got to visit https://www.huenerbein.de/ or "Model Center Hunerbein" which was a great shop and well worth the visit. More later, we're off to visit a train museum near the Chimay Abbey brewery, double the pleasure!

oh boy!

Yes, cancelling something in Germany sometimes only gets you a 10% refund!

Offline husafreak  
#39 Posted : 08 October 2021 16:57:01(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I can close the thread with some observations now that I am back home in California.
With one visit to one shop in Aachaen it won't tell you much though! The Hunerbein shop had acres of larger trains and a small corner for Z with a display cabinet for new and another for used models. (but Z is very small right?) It also had a workstation manned by a mechanic with parts galore and a layout of all the gauges of track for test running. That blew my mind, you can take your train there to be fixed! Shopping was great fun, for me just being able to see something in person before buying it was cool. I found a few treasures, brought back an 88545 BR103.1, a used 86391car set and 82171 beer barrel car, an 89703 building and a Preiser figures set 88550. There wasn't really anything I saw that I couldn't have probably gotten (eventually) from suppliers here at home. And if you are paying the VAT you are not saving anything there either. The government has made recovering VAT a tedious process for shops, shoppers, and government officials alike. Way too much trouble for the small purchases I made. If I went back I would buy more figures though, at least the Preiser set I picked was half as expensive than they are here. One funny thing was while comparing my "short list" of the locos in the shop on my cell phone internet access when I searched the BR103.1 a Zscalehobo test run video on You tube popped up, with a chuckle I decided that it must be the one, even in Germany my California connection is helping me choose ;)
I considered taking the ICE train from Liege to Cologne for another expedition, it is only a 1 hour 6 minutes ride, but whereas Aachen is considered "near international" from Belgium Cologne would have required Covid tests and passport controls and after my experience I wanted no more to do with that so I didn't get to ride the ICE. A well, I can console myself with a model of one. I convinced my wife and her sister that Namur would be a fun visit but in the end it got scheduled on a Monday and the Marklin shop there was closed. Cool city though. I did get to go to a great museum near La Roche, Musee Du Chemin De Fer. They have a running steam engine there, but as we found out it only runs weekends :( so it is like two museums with the main station and the repair depot at either end of the line. At the repair end it was a ghost town, just us and the staff on a dreary Belgian weather day, and the staff let me climb all over their locos! I was in the cabs of a bunch of old engines, even with coal crunching under my feet, grease and oil and soot on everything, tool boxes everywhere and banging and wrenching from the mechanic staff, these are live steam trains!
Certainly a highlight for me as in the "proper" museums you can hardly see let alone climb under a loco.

Regarding travel to Europe right now I just can't recommend it. Obviously, getting sick and testing positive is a minor catastrophe, the quarantine requirements are demanding. If that happens you are finished. But every border and every airline and airport has different Covid related travel requirements, which change regularly, you have to be a wizard with a cell phone to even have a chance. I realize my experience was over the top, of my originally scheduled 6 flights, 4 were cancelled and had to be rescheduled or purchased from other carriers, at short notice at great expense. We will not be refunded by the DB and we still wait with fingers crossed to see if Vueling, an airline with no phone support and crippled internet access, will actually refund our cancelled flights (in their defense they did offer us a replacement flight home in late march 2022...) Twice we received Covid tests to travel and then were unable to get the results emailed to us without multiple phone calls and emails. It is not enough to know you have passed, border controls are only satisfied with papers, and it is rather stressful to be even momentarily be denied boarding because Belgians don't like Croatian documents. On a positive note the border controls are developed enough that governments have established protocols,
and the information is available, but then you have to deal with people who may or may not be willing or able to get things done in a timely fashion. I ended up getting tested twice (and paying twice) to leave Belgium yesterday. On the drive to the airport while struggling with the language difference the staff at the Covid test center in Liege flatly refused to try an alternate email address for my overdue results, saying that she had others to take care of and no more time for me. So I ran and got a rapid test at the airport. So have a back up plan if you do go!
I hope all this was somewhat enjoyable to read, LOL. This thread didn't turn out as planned but I hate threads that leave me hanging so I figured I would tell the story. And my wife says we just got our $ back from Vueling 9 days after the cancellation! Things are looking up :)
Offline marklinist5999  
#40 Posted : 08 October 2021 17:43:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Those vaccinated have way less serious symptoms for sure!
Travel period is still sketchy. Memorial Herman Texas medical center had to open an auxiliary E.R. last month. My spouse has them as a major account, so get's all the news first hand. Local hospitals here not much better off on the Delta variant.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#41 Posted : 19 June 2022 23:01:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I just got back from a long weekend visiting family in Berlin. Fortunately, I was able to plan in a brief excursion model shop hunting!

The first thing to say is that opening hours seem to be a bit sporadic - a couple of places I had my sights on closed early on Friday and didn't open on Saturday at all. Of course, it's pretty common for shops in Germany to be closed on Sunday, as well.

Anyway, I did manage to get to Modellbahn-Pietsch - a very nice well organised, well lit and well stocked shop to the South of the city. They had a very good selection of Z scale stuff - all the latest releases and even a few going back to the pre blackened wheels days! I spotted a 88941 and 88943 - my favourite Z scale model - but not one of which I'm in need of more examples! I was tempted by an 88883 ER20 diesel but not enough to actually break out my credit card!

They don't hold any used stock, which was a bit of a disappointment for me, as I was hoping to find some interesting older models, but it was an interesting and enjoyable visit nonetheless!

I'll no doubt be back in Berlin at some point, so I'd welcome any recommendations of shops - especially any with good second-hand stocks!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Carim  
#42 Posted : 20 June 2022 10:38:21(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

When I was last in Berlin, I visited:

Michas Bahnhof (two shops) has lots of 2nd hand Z - Nürberger Straße 24a (this is the main shop - also have some new stuff). Their second shop - Toto's Eisenbahnladen, Pestalozzistraße 28 (smaller shop, 2nd hand stuff).

Very close to Michas is Modellbahnen Turberg, Rankestr. 24 - only new stuff in Z, quite expensive, very helpful staff.

Carim
Offline parakiet  
#43 Posted : 20 June 2022 22:09:50(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
If you pass Marsbergen you can visit 1zu220.de !!