Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pengouin  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2021 14:38:04(UTC)
Pengouin

Belgium   
Hello,

I have an old Marklin DB Class V 200 locomotive. It is probably 60 years old and comes from my grandfather. It has been converted to digital 25 years ago with a MM decoder but the motor is very noisy and not very smooth. So I would like to renovate it.

I plan to use a LokSound v5 decoder but I have no idea what motor I should use. Marklin is selling some upgrade kit for motors. Are they good or should I look for alternative ?

I also plan to change old bulb light with LED. Do you know any kit I can buy with white/red LED ?

Any other advice ? It will be my first locomotive renovation BigGrin

Thank you for your help
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pengouin
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2021 14:56:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome! Does it have a 5 pole motor? If so, it may only need cleaning and oiling. These are not really quiet anyway. It's the gearing. The armature bearings tend to also ne noisy. They quiet down as heat from running warms them up usually. If you plan on ever using a CS2 or 3, I'd stay with Marklin mfx. Of course you can use them with an ESU Ecos as well.
You'd need to maually enter a Loksound decoder on a CS2, or 3 as DCC or MM. You can order a marklin led parts for a newer V200 for for the front and rear. You will need resistors so they don't flicker. ESU may also have them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2021 15:10:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
You'd need to maually enter a Loksound decoder on a CS2, or 3 as DCC or MM.
There are LokSound decoders that support mfx and will register automatically. Many Märklin locos were sold with factory-installed ESU LokSound decoders before/while Märklin developed the MSD.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2021 23:10:47(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Pengouin Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have an old Marklin DB Class V 200 locomotive. It is probably 60 years old and comes from my grandfather. It has been converted to digital 25 years ago with a MM decoder but the motor is very noisy and not very smooth. So I would like to renovate it.

I plan to use a LokSound v5 decoder but I have no idea what motor I should use. Marklin is selling some upgrade kit for motors. Are they good or should I look for alternative ?

I also plan to change old bulb light with LED. Do you know any kit I can buy with white/red LED ?

Any other advice ? It will be my first locomotive renovation BigGrin

Thank you for your help

Märklin 60944 is the correct kit for this model to give smooth and quieter running with the new decoder.
However if you want the quietest option and cost is not an object, check out the offerings from SB-Modellbau.

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Online river6109  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2021 06:12:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There are several things to look out for:

a.) yes a 60944 high efficiency motor
b.) ball bearings on each side (front 4mm x 1.5mm x 2mm), rear: 5mm x 2mm x 2mm), how ever you need a tool to do this
c.) make sure the brushplate brushholders are resting on the brushplate and aren't raised (this also makes the loco run rougher and slower)
d.) Led's: this is a personal choice, whereas you drill holes for the marker lights and insert 2 leds: 1 white, 1 red or you can use the current bulb holder and get an insert into the bulb holder and use a led's white/red, the insert led holder has 2 holes for the led's and has also 2 empty holes whereas you can put the 3rd wire through, you need 2 resistors (1k),
e.) with the loksound 5 you have 2 options I would recommend: 21 mtc adapter plate or a Plux 22 adapter plate. ( it gives you 8 Aux functions) whereas the 8 pin will give you 6 Aux functions ( but you need an 8 pin wire harness for it.
f.) you can also add 2 cab lights but when you do this I would recommend you fit the Led's head/marker lights onto the housing and use a plug whereas all the wires from the led's (head/marker and cab lights are combined) and use a spare spot on the frame where you can fit the socket.
g.) there is heaps of room for the cube loudspeker
h.) choice how to program the cab lights: use the Aux function to be inserted at the "stop" for forward and reverse,
i.) use the light function: neon light, and add a cut off time for the cab light (when the loco stops the cab light will come on and when the loco is in motion the light will go off depending on the timer.
j.) motor room light could also be incorporated with the head/marker, cab lights.
k.) progtramming the motor: under motor you have a variety of different motors: use the Märklin highefficiency motor or leave it at default settings.
l.) to have a slow start reduce the minimum speed from 3 to 1
m.) if you want to go ahead with the ball bearings I could do this for you but you would have to send me the motor and the brushplate (not the perm. magnet)
n.) or the choice of a Faulhaber motor (SB Modellbau)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Pengouin  
#6 Posted : 10 September 2021 22:33:13(UTC)
Pengouin

Belgium   
Thanks you all for those great advices.

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome! Does it have a 5 pole motor? If so, it may only need cleaning and oiling. These are not really quiet anyway. It's the gearing. The armature bearings tend to also ne noisy. They quiet down as heat from running warms them up usually. If you plan on ever using a CS2 or 3, I'd stay with Marklin mfx. Of course you can use them with an ESU Ecos as well.
You'd need to maually enter a Loksound decoder on a CS2, or 3 as DCC or MM. You can order a marklin led parts for a newer V200 for for the front and rear. You will need resistors so they don't flicker. ESU may also have them.

I don't know if it's a 5 pole motor. I plan to disassemble it this week-end and I will check.

I have a Marklin CS2 but I use several Lok decoder for my Bemo trains. So I prefer to use then to update my Marklin locos has well.

I hadn't thought of spare parts. Thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

However if you want the quietest option and cost is not an object, check out the offerings from SB-Modellbau.

SB-Modellbau seems to have great motors. I didn't know about them. Thanks i will consider it.

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
There are several things to look out for:

a.) yes a 60944 high efficiency motor
b.) ball bearings on each side (front 4mm x 1.5mm x 2mm), rear: 5mm x 2mm x 2mm), how ever you need a tool to do this
c.) make sure the brushplate brushholders are resting on the brushplate and aren't raised (this also makes the loco run rougher and slower)
d.) Led's: this is a personal choice, whereas you drill holes for the marker lights and insert 2 leds: 1 white, 1 red or you can use the current bulb holder and get an insert into the bulb holder and use a led's white/red, the insert led holder has 2 holes for the led's and has also 2 empty holes whereas you can put the 3rd wire through, you need 2 resistors (1k),
e.) with the loksound 5 you have 2 options I would recommend: 21 mtc adapter plate or a Plux 22 adapter plate. ( it gives you 8 Aux functions) whereas the 8 pin will give you 6 Aux functions ( but you need an 8 pin wire harness for it.
f.) you can also add 2 cab lights but when you do this I would recommend you fit the Led's head/marker lights onto the housing and use a plug whereas all the wires from the led's (head/marker and cab lights are combined) and use a spare spot on the frame where you can fit the socket.
g.) there is heaps of room for the cube loudspeker
h.) choice how to program the cab lights: use the Aux function to be inserted at the "stop" for forward and reverse,
i.) use the light function: neon light, and add a cut off time for the cab light (when the loco stops the cab light will come on and when the loco is in motion the light will go off depending on the timer.
j.) motor room light could also be incorporated with the head/marker, cab lights.
k.) progtramming the motor: under motor you have a variety of different motors: use the Märklin highefficiency motor or leave it at default settings.
l.) to have a slow start reduce the minimum speed from 3 to 1
m.) if you want to go ahead with the ball bearings I could do this for you but you would have to send me the motor and the brushplate (not the perm. magnet)
n.) or the choice of a Faulhaber motor (SB Modellbau)

John

Wow thanks John for the great answer. I will need some time to deal with all of this.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Antoine
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pengouin