Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tie  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2021 19:31:41(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi all
I have a steam loco standing dead on the tracks. Engine will not run in either direction(worked earlier). Sounds and lighths can still be controlled by cs3 so at least part of the decoder works. Opened the thing but cannot see any faults…. Broken wires etc. antbody know how to furher look for failures and where to start? Is it possible to test the electric motor? Have unsoldered it. But what voltage ang current to use? AC or DC?
Help would be appreciated.
Regards TIE
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2021 19:45:26(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
DC 9V will be fine

But you have to check the decoder as well

Costas
Offline Tie  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2021 20:53:59(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Ok. Thanks. I can check if motor runs with som torque using 9v dc current. If ok i can partly assemble, put the loco on track with full throttle and search backwards towards decoder with multimeter for dc voltage? This egine include some springloaded pins where current passes on its way to the engine. Also some electronics (capacitors?) are included along the current train…
Offline Tie  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2021 21:25:50(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Ok. Thanks. I can check if motor runs with som torque using 9v dc current. If ok i can partly assemble, put the loco on track with full throttle and search backwards towards decoder with multimeter for dc voltage? This egine include some springloaded pins where current passes on its way to the engine. Also some electronics (capacitors?) are included along the current train…
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2021 21:56:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Tie
It happened to me: a Sound MFX loco Märklin 37589, went dead except that lights, sounds, MFX registration were working fine
I tested the motor and it was running smoothly BUT its internal resistance was 10 Ohms (instead of 45 Ohms) so aside of replacing the factory-installed Decoder with a mSD3 with a "Platine", I programmed the sounds for a BR 58 checks the assignments of functions (Telex duration)
I also ordered a new motor to Märklin shop and I was back in business.

So your situation may be different to mine but my advice:
- first run a loco reset (it solves many problems but does not fix burned components) and test the loco again if it runs.
- test the motor with a DC source
- measure the motors resistance and if it is low , don't run the risk of burning a 100€ decoder by trying to reuse a 25€ motor
- order a 60975 decoder and program it using your PC connected with your CS3, using the free Märklin tool mDecoderTool3 (loading it here https://www.maerklin.de/de/servi...oundbibliothek-fuer-msd3
You have plenty of projects in Mârklin website using mDecoderTool3

What caused the problem in the first place? I am not sure but I like slow starts on freight steamers. Motors are OK as long as there is no stalling.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Tie  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2021 07:43:10(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Thanks for help/tips. I will do as suggested. Also possibly try this sound library. I use sounds on most of my locos and extra sounds might be fun. I have never attached a computer to the cs3 and from some stubborn idea I decided to perform the atomation of my trains with cs3 only. Not the easiest aproach but It works.
TIE
Offline Tie  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2021 23:04:06(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Latest development; electric motor runs smooth and with good torque on 9v battery. But internal resistance only 10,5Ohm. I did partly assemble the loco and actually on track it moved… slowly/erraticcally. Not smooth at constant input speed. I think I will go for a new electric motor even if I suspect decoder to give erractic voltage/current input. Test cheapest item first🤭 anorher possibility: purcase another identical loco (I do need/want more) and then switch electric motor and see how my old steamer. Again thanks for help.
Regards TIE
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2021 17:13:54(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi all.
Model railroading is a bit slow during this part of the year. Outdoor activities are also interesting. However; my loco(ref earlier descripion):
Final try when partly dis-assembled: sounds and lights work. Light canges with direction changes, and a few times giving full throttle the loco moved. Slowly and with varying speed/stops.
I tested the motor desoldering the blue and green wire from decoder socket and attaching a 9v battery. Loco moved fine. Resistance measured (directly on motor with wires detached) something in between values proposed above. I then attached a working sound-decoder. Including decoder socket. Same behavior as described. Now I wonder: ther seens to be some tiny components on the «print card» leeding current from decoder socket wires to the two spring loaded pins that feeds the motor base plate with wire terminals solderes to the motor. Can this plate be faulty? Mind you the battery test was performed all the way through plate, spring loded pins etc. Anyone know if some rectification of motor current is done after output from decoder? Just a thougth since the clean ac current from the battery worked so well😳

TIE https://www.marklin-user...&b=1&editor=true