Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BenP  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2021 02:44:35(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Just got a 3060 Santa Fe via eBay and noticed it was a digital version, so direction switching without familiar buzz and spring. I am all analog otherwise and just want to know how to get the front light to work when moving. Bulb is good (tested), but no idea what the dip switches do that are connected to bulb socket. Is there a manual for this?
(Dummy 4060 lights fine)
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2021 04:24:10(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quick photo of the decoder installed may help, but some models the decoder does not allow the function to work in analogue and others have it working all the time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2021 14:18:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
Just got a 3060 Santa Fe via eBay and noticed it was a digital version, so direction switching without familiar buzz and spring. I am all analog otherwise and just want to know how to get the front light to work when moving. Bulb is good (tested), but no idea what the dip switches do that are connected to bulb socket. Is there a manual for this?
(Dummy 4060 lights fine)

If you are only going to use it for analogue then turn all switches to the OFF position. It sounds like someone has fitted a 6080 decoder or possibly a 6090 decoder. This will be an aftermarket fitting.

The early decoders did not turn on the headlight when run in analogue mode - but I don't know what happens when the switches are set all off, it may then turn on the head light, but I cannot recall any documentation about this.

Offline BenP  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2021 15:59:11(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Thx for fast response.. Here's a picture of the inside.
Alternatively, I can perhaps power the light from the shoe, like the dummy. How should that be wired?
20210406_095152.jpg

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Quick photo of the decoder installed may help, but some models the decoder does not allow the function to work in analogue and others have it working all the time.

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
Offline BenP  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2021 16:04:05(UTC)
BenP

United States   
All switches off made no difference. No light, but unit still reverses.
Decoder is 6080.

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
(Dummy 4060 lights fine)

If you are only going to use it for analogue then turn all switches to the OFF position. It sounds like someone has fitted a 6080 decoder or possibly a 6090 decoder. This will be an aftermarket fitting.

The early decoders did not turn on the headlight when run in analogue mode - but I don't know what happens when the switches are set all off, it may then turn on the head light, but I cannot recall any documentation about this.

Offline BenP  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2021 05:11:43(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I connected light to shoe with extra wire while keeping decoder in place (off). Lights now work. Running analog with white transformers, so no fried electronics.

Thx for fast response.. Here's a picture of the inside.
Alternatively, I can perhaps power the light from the shoe, like the dummy. How should that be wired?
20210406_095152.jpg

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline BenP  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2021 16:55:22(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Since posting, i converted 6 trains to digital and learned a lot. This unit has early 6080 decoder with little control. Works fine, but basic. Lights not controlled by decoder. Newer decoders allow programming with 6021, instead of switches and dials of this and 6090 followup. I may upgrade decoder in future, but more display unit then use. In case you wonder, I am not interested in post 6021 controllers, maintaining some vintage authenticity.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2021 23:10:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ben P

These decoders are called C80 and are both analog and digital-capable BUT, in analog the light is not driven (only in digital mode).
Cheers
Jean
Offline nmbssncb  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2021 11:44:42(UTC)
nmbssncb

Remove 6080 decoder and replace by either an original mechanical Märklin reversing unit or an electronic one (for example: https://uhlenbrock.de/de.../analog/I000C368-001.htm!ArcEntryInfo=0004.0.I000C368

Willy