Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shermund  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2021 17:59:37(UTC)
Shermund

Malaysia   
Can ms2 use on 2 rail system?

I am on HO gauge at the moment. But I want to build a second set in N gauge.

Been looking around but I can't seem to figure out if marklin ms2 can control these non marklin loco.

For example, using bachmann/minitrix tracks, broadway/model house/bachmann loco, using MS2 as the control.

Is that doable?

Thanks in advance.
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2021 18:28:55(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I have been running an HO two-rail Roco-Line track oval with an MS2 for a long time (even with non Märklin locos), so this certainly works. However, I have no idea whether such a setup is also possible with N gauge.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2021 19:28:25(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Shermund Go to Quoted Post
Can ms2 use on 2 rail system?

I am on HO gauge at the moment. But I want to build a second set in N gauge.

Been looking around but I can't seem to figure out if marklin ms2 can control these non marklin loco.

For example, using bachmann/minitrix tracks, broadway/model house/bachmann loco, using MS2 as the control.

Is that doable?

Thanks in advance.

Yes but i recommended maximum 14-16 volt power out to the track.
MS2 with a digital box do have power feeder at 19 VDC which seems too much for the small trains.
You can set MS2 with the DCC protocol and use all digital locomotives who have DCC protocol.
2 rail system can been use with the CS3 too if you have power feeder Märklin 60041 that can adjust two different power source.
So that means you can drive H0 and N scale with 60041 because even smaller power feed can be use for the H0 scale too.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Shermund  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2021 19:41:58(UTC)
Shermund

Malaysia   
Thank you both for your replies.

Max 16v, how do I control that? Or more like I should not go full speed ?

Thanks again.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2021 19:44:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
electricity runs the same no matter the colour of the wires or how the wires (track rails) are arranged. In fact tracks are not needed at all. You can connect a controller directly to the pickups of a loco on the workbench and it will work the same.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2021 19:51:35(UTC)
H0

Max 16v, how do I control that?
Don't worry too much: The power supply for the MS2 is 18 V DC, not 19 V DC.
Power goes through a bridge rectifier where the voltage will drop a bit, at the track output it goes through two transistors where the voltage will drop a bit.
Track voltage will be around 16 V.

If you are still worried, obtain a universal power supply with 2 A or more and set it to 16 V or 14 V or so.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2021 21:33:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
You can connect a controller directly to the pickups of a loco on the workbench and it will work the same.

But they won't go anywhere which is the whole point of model railroading!

I do take Dale's point though - the MS2 will control anything that can run on one or more of the DCC, Marklin Motorola or Marklin mFX protocols. Electricity is electricity, it will run across whatever conductor you present it with.
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2021 06:58:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Max 16v, how do I control that?
Don't worry too much: The power supply for the MS2 is 18 V DC, not 19 V DC.

I did tested Märklins power feeder 66360 and they showed 18,5 VDC output.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2021 07:01:44(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
You can connect a controller directly to the pickups of a loco on the workbench and it will work the same.

But they won't go anywhere which is the whole point of model railroading!

I do take Dale's point though - the MS2 will control anything that can run on one or more of the DCC, Marklin Motorola or Marklin mFX protocols. Electricity is electricity, it will run across whatever conductor you present it with.

Yes but not without digital interference.
Märklin recommended minimal use of protocol on the track.
That is way i use only one protocol when i use my digital layout.
It works fine!

H0
Offline rrf  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2021 13:31:33(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I recently purchased the Mini Trix 11100 Digital Starter set as the foundation for Beautiful Wife’s N scale coffee table layout. It came with an MS2 with a lovely green knob. The only difference between it and my Märklin MS2 is the power supply. Though as someone already noted, since they use the same track box the output voltages should be the same. The Märklin MS2 simply has the potential to provide more current.

My wife chose a DCC New York Central steamer for first her first lok. It runs quite nicely with the MS2. She then went and purchased an analog Trix Adler on eBay, which I now have to figure out how to fit a decoder in Sad
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2021 13:52:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
The only difference between it and my Märklin MS2 is the power supply. Though as someone already noted, since they use the same track box the output voltages should be the same. The Märklin MS2 simply has the potential to provide more current.
The current is limited by the trackbox - which is the same.
Higher voltage results in higher wattage while current is the same.
The trackbox does not limit the voltage, so track voltage is proportional to input voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rrf  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2021 14:25:24(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The only difference between it and my Märklin MS2 is the power supply. Though as someone already noted, since they use the same track box the output voltages should be the same. The Märklin MS2 simply has the potential to provide more current.
The current is limited by the trackbox - which is the same.
Higher voltage results in higher wattage while current is the same.
The trackbox does not limit the voltage, so track voltage is proportional to input voltage.

Hello HO,

The track box limiting current rather than voltage seems odd to me. I would have expected the maximum current to be limited by the power supply.

I am away from home for the weekend. When I return home Tuesday, I’ll hook up a multi-meter to each MS 2, as well as read the rating information off of each power supply. I will then report back what I find.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 16 July 2021 14:35:42(UTC)
H0

I am away from home for the weekend. When I return home Tuesday, I’ll hook up a multi-meter to each MS 2, as well as read the rating information off of each power supply.
The rating of the track box is 1.9 A.
The rating of the Märklin power supply is 2 A at 18 V.
The rating of the Trix power supply is 2 A at 15 V.

If the power supply is rated for 2 A or more the current is limited by the track box.
The voltage is not limited by the track box. The CU 6021 can reduce the track voltage, but it has a big heat sink to handle the heat. The MS2 track box does not have a heat sink.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline rrf  
#14 Posted : 16 July 2021 17:15:30(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Thank you, HO.

That’s very interesting. Does the MS2 module itself actually accept a range of voltages (15v to 18v)? One of the functions of the track box I always assumed was to provide 5 volts DC for the MS2’s electronics.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline Shermund  
#15 Posted : 16 July 2021 19:59:13(UTC)
Shermund

Malaysia   
Ah, seemed like it is a better idea for me to grab a minitrix starter set, buying a trix ms2/3 itself is a bit more expensive than a starter set ain't it?
Offline rrf  
#16 Posted : 17 July 2021 13:46:20(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Ah, seemed like it is a better idea for me to grab a minitrix starter set, buying a trix ms2/3 itself is a bit more expensive than a starter set ain't it?

Hello,

It was AJCKids who pointed out to me that the Mini Trix N Scale Digital starter (MS2, power supply, track box, and track oval) was less expensive than purchasing the MS2, track box, and N scale power supply separately. As I learned yesterday thanks to forum member HO, matching the correct power supply voltage with your choice of scale is quite important.

For Märklin HO the analogous set is the 29000 digital starter with a 3 rail C Track oval. For Trix HO it’s the 21000 set with a 2 rail C Track oval. Interestingly enough, the two HO sets are priced the same at AJCKids, while the N Scale 11100 set costs $32 more. For all three it seems a better deal to purchase the set rather than the MS2, track box and power supply separately.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 19 July 2021 10:21:17(UTC)
H0

One of the functions of the track box I always assumed was to provide 5 volts DC for the MS2’s electronics.
AIUI the track box provides the full DC voltage to the MS2, not 5 V.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage