Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2021 07:38:59(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

I'd like to acquire a sleeper car with interior details such as beds and ladders. I've spent about 10 days searching and the only thing I can find that fits the bill is a Heris 13087 model of an Öbb liegewagen bcmz. I even found one for sale on ebay. But the seller, who is in Rome, won't ship to the U.S. Are there other sources? BTW: Why can't I find Heris in a search? Do they really exist? Why did so few mfrs offer schlagwagens with interiors?

Thanks,
Tommy

Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2021 08:35:59(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
Why can't I find Heris in a search? Do they really exist?

They do exist:

https://www.heris-modelleisenbahn.de/
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2021 12:20:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My Roco cars have beds. I thought Marklin do also. Ladders can be bought from woodland scenic, etc. Certain Taller building kits have several extra scaffolding ladders too.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2021 18:49:55(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What kind of sleeping car are you looking for? The one you mention is a Couchette coach and not a full sleeper.
The Heris models came out between 2003 and 2007. They are not very well rendered.
The same coach type (OBB Bcmz Modular) is available from LS Models. In America, you might be able to find their models at euromodeltrains, eurotrainhobby, tee-use, reynaulds and maybe AJCkids.
LS Models manufacture a limited quantity of models, so, in many cases, if they don't have it in stock, they will not be able to order it was the company is sold out.

Shops like Memoba.at (Austria), Huenerbein.de (Germany) and others may still have some existing models in stock.

If you are looking for other couchette and sleeping car models, check out RailTop (former company), ACME and Roco.

Here is a LS Models OBB Couchette: https://www.ebay.de/itm/303756044462?
Here is a LS Models OBB Sleeper: https://www.ebay.de/itm/143628049524?

There are also LSM Swiss Couchette and Sleepers, ACME FS Italian ones and many others too.

You may want to consider one of the modern RailJet consist sets (4-6 cars) from LSM or some of the Models-World.eu Nighttrain consists.

The search terms are: Liegewagen/Couchette and Schlafwagen/Sleeping Coach/car

Regards

Mike C
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2021 20:24:56(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Many thanks for the links. Much appreciated. The only reason I mention the Heris 13087 is it's the only one with a photograph showing that it really has a detailed interior! Really!
The Märklin 43250 DSG Schlafwagen would be ideal for me if I could just confirm what the interior looked like. Also that it has LED interior lighting or that such could be added.
Also nice would be the Märklin 4029 CIWL, but only if I could see a photograph somewhere of the interior. Also acceptable would be: 40542 Schlaf und Speisewagen. I just want to see the interior! There are no photographs, and I mean none, that I could find showing a detailed interior.
Thanks for the help!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2021 20:51:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The Märklin 43250 DSG Schlafwagen would be ideal for me if I could just confirm what the interior looked like. Also that it has LED interior lighting or that such could be added.

Well which part of the 43250 marklin web page confuses you about what you want to know?

Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2021 00:17:34(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Depends on what period/type of sleeping car you want.

I just bought the Brawa 46168 schlafwagen for era IIIa which has interior details and is on sale.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2021 01:56:29(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Perfect! I found it at Reynaulds. I think I'll get this one and the 46186, which has the DSG logo on the side. Many thanks. BTW- just so I'll know I'm not hallucinating, I hope there will be some folks who agree there aren't any pictures online that show interior details of Märklin Schlafwagen.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 30 April 2021 11:48:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
BTW- just so I'll know I'm not hallucinating, I hope there will be some folks who agree there aren't any pictures online that show interior details of Märklin Schlafwagen.

Although the title of this 2019 Stummiforum thread refers to LIMA models, the photo in post no. 4 shows two "opened" H0 scale Maerklin sleepers (unfortunately, no article numbers given):

https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=90402
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 18 May 2021 22:33:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Well, i have dug out my 43250 to fit lighting to it, so took a picture of the interior.

20210517_160208.jpg

The recommended light fitting is a 73155 which uses bulbs with a diffuser, but it would not be impossible to fit a pair of 73400 LED fittings, but I don't know how well the LEDs would line up with the apartments as they don't have a diffuser.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dominator  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2021 22:57:34(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Alan, you can buy reels of 12v LED strips. They could work. You need to add resistors and capacitors to help eliminate flickering. I have done that with a lot of my tinplate coaches.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2021 00:20:15(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi Tommy,
Marklin in my opinion is crude in regards to interior detailing.
ACME or LS will be better choice so for example in Epoch III try CIWL Car Catalog Number 50590
Superb detail indeed some Roco like "SARNOW" Couchette has well rendered interior (Sorry I don't have cat.number on hand )
Regards,
Markllineisenbahn
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 20 May 2021 15:19:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Crude may be a bit harsh. As with Herpa 1/87 scale auto's, the vents, upholstery pleats, etc. are there, but when passenger figures are added, some are no longer visible.
It would cost more to laser mold theses details. IF LS models does, that may be why their models cost more. At least at Reynaulds they do.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2021 15:31:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tommy,
Marklin in my opinion is crude in regards to interior detailing.
ACME or LS will be better choice so for example in Epoch III try CIWL Car Catalog Number 50590
Superb detail indeed some Roco like "SARNOW" Couchette has well rendered interior (Sorry I don't have cat.number on hand )
Regards,
Markllineisenbahn

I don't understand this worry about the interior detailing. You can't see more than basic detail through the windows anyway unless you are looking at something like the Swiss Panorama coaches which have enormous windows.

Realistically the detail in 43250 coach is adequate because there will only be bunks and ladders once people go to sleep, and then the apartment will be dark anyway.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dominator  
#15 Posted : 22 May 2021 08:00:37(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Sometimes we cant justify the amount of time it takes to change light bulbs for LED's in passenger coaches. But we do it any way. Because we want to. Maybe we are nuts. I guess we must be to spend so much time enjoying useless hobbies as some people would put it.
In my case, I am weary of how much i am prepared to pay for a One of my hobby items, but when it comes down to time etc in repairing, restoring or whatever, time doesn't come into it.
But sometime you have to bite the bullet and spend the money .
As an for example, The tyres on my Landcruiser cost about $360.00 each and last approx 100,000 kms. The tyres on my vintage cost between $550.00 and $800.00 and they only last 6 to 10,000 miles if you are lucky. Gotta have em thou.Cursing

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline marklinist5999  
#16 Posted : 22 May 2021 12:02:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes diminator! Or so I thought. In fact I just did my first retrofit. The led kits cost less than the conventional ones. So I got two for the basic start up intercity DB coaches, saving $20 or so over $88 each. For ones pre lit, but longer. Also two sets of 7202 current couplers. The first was a bit of a challenge. The second, no, but the car won't light up. The first does. I need to check the coupler pocket connections as the contact spring doesn't seat quite properly like the first. Frustrating. The first. Car has a removable roof. The second one, the body must be removed to get the interior out. Why are the first and second class coaches made differently?
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 22 May 2021 13:46:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Upon trying to adjust the coupler pocket contact spring, both tabs broke off near the end which is supposed to fit into the pocket. I was able to get them to one to make contact, and now it lights up.
Anyone else not extremely fond of these? Have they been improved since the 72021 was released? At least Marklin is pre ighting many new issued cars.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 22 May 2021 14:18:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Upon trying to adjust the coupler pocket contact spring, both tabs broke off near the end which is supposed to fit into the pocket. I was able to get them to one to make contact, and now it lights up.

Hmm, I haven't had a problem fitting them. The end of the contact has gone into the coupler pocket quite easily for me. What it does pay to do is make sure the end of the contact on the coupling is bent a little so it doesn't push the spring out of the coupling pocket. I tend to fit the coupling into the pocket before fitting the drawbar back into the coach, I find it easier and the coupling will fit through the hole in the chassis.

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

Anyone else not extremely fond of these? Have they been improved since the 72021 was released? At least Marklin is pre ighting many new issued cars.

I am not aware of any change in them, they are still available in the program, and I haven't seen any different versions offered.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 22 May 2021 14:23:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's Alan! That was my problem.
Offline marklinist5999  
#20 Posted : 23 May 2021 13:57:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The newer cab cars with a decoder m.s.r.p. at over $150 U.S. I f time and frustration is a matter to you, then buying ones pre lit with current couplers may be worth it. There is much work for me on my layout.
Offline marklinist5999  
#21 Posted : 24 May 2021 00:10:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Another tip for the newest current conducting close couplers; On my coach with a removable roof, the contact plate had to be slightly bent on each side to stay locked forward. Also the instructions don't tell you to connect a second power feed wire from the opposite end, or only one coupler will work. You can use the red one with spade connector. Be sure it us plugged into the same side of the led board as the one on the opposite end.