Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2021 21:09:45(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Joined: 30/08/2002(UTC)
Posts: 903
I’m planning to add lighting for two sets of 41xx cars. Based on Internet suggestions (somewhere), I purchased some Märklin E323679 adapters or ”shafts” to enable NEM couplings. However, I find the plastic of E323679 shafts is too thin: The couplings will therefore drop too close to the track. On the pic below, you will find the E323679 shaft at the top and at the bottom. The mid second and third items are the original shafts and couplings. Also, the E323679 shaft plus e.g. a Märklin E115737 current conducting coupling provides a unit which us too long. The distance between the cars will be bigger than the original...

Would you have another suggestion of NEM compatible shafts? Or should I simply give up on the 41xx cars, maybe sell them and go for modern lighting-friendly cars instead?

Wink

EC88B479-BAED-48F4-BE21-B4FB69533C36.jpeg

Inspired by Swiss railways SBB and BLS | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V9
Youtube Channel for the Andreasburg-Mattiasberg layout
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2021 01:05:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,280
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I’m planning to add lighting for two sets of 41xx cars. Based on Internet suggestions (somewhere), I purchased some Märklin E323679 adapters or ”shafts” to enable NEM couplings. However, I find the plastic of E323679 shafts is too thin: The couplings will therefore drop too close to the track. On the pic below, you will find the E323679 shaft at the top and at the bottom. The mid second and third items are the original shafts and couplings. Also, the E323679 shaft plus e.g. a Märklin E115737 current conducting coupling provides a unit which us too long. The distance between the cars will be bigger than the original...

Would you have another suggestion of NEM compatible shafts? Or should I simply give up on the 41xx cars, maybe sell them and go for modern lighting-friendly cars instead?

Wink

EC88B479-BAED-48F4-BE21-B4FB69533C36.jpeg



Oo errr. Hmm. I'm in the same boat, I have some 41xx series cars to go with the 'Longest train in the World' NS coaches, along with their 42xx versions, and want to do the same as you, putting lights in the 41xx coaches. The 42xx have the close coupling mechanism, so they are fine. It may end up being a case of putting up with the increased distance between coaches anyway as they are not close coupling mechanisms.

Are the E115737 couplings the ones that come in the 72020/72021 kits or are they the fixed drawbars?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dominator  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2021 03:02:49(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Joined: 20/01/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1,161
Location: Kerikeri
Probably far easier to use the original couplings and use JS 1.5 mm plugs as sockets to make the electrical connections [ if that's what your intention is ]. I have done that and it works well.

DSC01641.JPG

js couplers on coaches.jpg

Last picture shown a pic of the final result with the wires attached to the side of the couplings.

I ended up using 2 wire sockets, not the 4 wire ones shown.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2021 04:12:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Joined: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 7,207
Location: Montreal, QC
41XX could be anything from a 2 axle Hobby Era II coach to a 27cm Express Train coach.
Which model do you want to modify?
If it is a shorter coach (less than 24cm), you may be able to install a Symoba mechanism and close coupler on the chassis underside.
For 27cm coaches, it is hard to install a coupling mechanism, but you can change the coupler head as shown above.

For coaches like the 4147 Eurofima coach or the 4153 Restaurant, you may be able to replace them with the newer versions (42XX) with close coupling shaft and close coupling heads.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PeFu  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2021 10:28:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Joined: 30/08/2002(UTC)
Posts: 903
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
41XX could be anything from a 2 axle Hobby Era II coach to a 27cm Express Train coach.
Which model do you want to modify?
If it is a shorter coach (less than 24cm), you may be able to install a Symoba mechanism and close coupler on the chassis underside.
For 27cm coaches, it is hard to install a coupling mechanism, but you can change the coupler head as shown above.

For coaches like the 4147 Eurofima coach or the 4153 Restaurant, you may be able to replace them with the newer versions (42XX) with close coupling shaft and close coupling heads.

The first set I want to convert are 4162 Eurofima coaches. I found the ”Mobadapter” seller on eBay.de, specialising on these kind of adapters. He explained that I could use his adapters for the 4147 Eurofima coach, and I have just ordered a number of items. When delivered, I will update you on my progress here...

Cool

Inspired by Swiss railways SBB and BLS | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V9
Youtube Channel for the Andreasburg-Mattiasberg layout
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2021 16:17:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Joined: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 7,207
Location: Montreal, QC
One option you could consider would be to replace your 4162 SBB Am with the later 4267 version which has close couplings.
The other (cheaper) option would be to put a 4267 between each pair of 4162, which would reduce, but not eliminate the space between coaches.

I don't think that the Symoba mechanisms can be retrofitted on 26.4cm bogie coaches. You can order the coupling piece which replaces the shaft and integrated coupler with a NEM socket, but it does not reduce the spacing.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2021 19:51:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,280
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
41XX could be anything from a 2 axle Hobby Era II coach to a 27cm Express Train coach.
Which model do you want to modify?
If it is a shorter coach (less than 24cm), you may be able to install a Symoba mechanism and close coupler on the chassis underside.
For 27cm coaches, it is hard to install a coupling mechanism, but you can change the coupler head as shown above.

For coaches like the 4147 Eurofima coach or the 4153 Restaurant, you may be able to replace them with the newer versions (42XX) with close coupling shaft and close coupling heads.

The first set I want to convert are 4162 Eurofima coaches. I found the ”Mobadapter” seller on eBay.de, specialising on these kind of adapters. He explained that I could use his adapters for the 4147 Eurofima coach, and I have just ordered a number of items. When delivered, I will update you on my progress here...

Cool



I'll be interested to see how you get on. The coaches I want to convert are 4164 and 4165, which I suspect are the same moldings as the 4162.

While on the subject, what are you looking to use for lighting? My thoughts are to fit the 73400 LED light strips, but haven't tried to work this out yet. I haven't checked to see what the 'official' light kit is for these coaches.

Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2021 22:57:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Joined: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Posts: 7,207
Location: Montreal, QC
The 4164/4165 are NS class IC-R, not Eurofima, although the models, like all the 264mm-270mm coaches with screw mount have similar construction.
The easiest solution would be to replace your 4164/4165 with 4264/4265/42644/5/6/42652/3/4, which have been adapted. The shell is now held in place by pins integrated into the gangway pieces, there is a built in close coupling mechanism and the coupling shaft has a NEM socket and comes with a pair of Maerklin 7203 couplers. These coaches can easily be used with Maerklin's current conducting system.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2021 00:26:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,280
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The 4164/4165 are NS class IC-R, not Eurofima, although the models, like all the 264mm-270mm coaches with screw mount have similar construction.


That is what I was figuring seeing they are in the same number series.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

The easiest solution would be to replace your 4164/4165 with 4264/4265/42644/5/6/42652/3/4, which have been adapted. The shell is now held in place by pins integrated into the gangway pieces, there is a built in close coupling mechanism and the coupling shaft has a NEM socket and comes with a pair of Maerklin 7203 couplers. These coaches can easily be used with Maerklin's current conducting system.
Regards
Mike C


I already have the 4264/5 as well, part of the scheme being to make a representative "Longest Train in the World". May possibly get the other ones as well, but prefer using the older ones if practical.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2021 12:56:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Joined: 01/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 7,000
Location: Scotland
For lighting why not use Train Tech battery lighting or any battery lighting. Works fine and avoids couplings and wires etc. I use it for anything other nthan the usual coaches prepared for lighting.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 14 May 2021 13:27:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 954
Location: Michigan, Troy
re battery lighting; "Brilliant!"
Offline PeFu  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2021 23:47:36(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Joined: 30/08/2002(UTC)
Posts: 903
I have received the adapters from ”Mobadapter” as described above. They are probably 3D printed items. I installed LED’s using Märklin E115737 current conducting couplings. The combo fits well, and they seem to be working great. In the first pic below, you can see the adapter without and with a coupling, including how I solder the cable to it.

Smile

F1385503-1592-47E0-B643-9BAD5D5CC2B3.jpeg

45EC0870-FA82-426E-9B31-B79CAA7CF993.jpeg
Inspired by Swiss railways SBB and BLS | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V9
Youtube Channel for the Andreasburg-Mattiasberg layout
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 07 August 2021 19:16:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Joined: 05/12/2004(UTC)
Posts: 3,100
Location: CA, USA
Hi PeFu! A quick question on your coupler solution- if you are running those couplers with 1 pole current, how are you grounding the LED strips from car to car? I know they cannot use track ground if they are on an independent circuit?

I am in a similar project and have a great circuit, thanks to Dale here on the forum!, but I'm struggling with a reliable 2 pole (wire) coupling solution that is small/clean enough looking. (and affordable!)

Thanks!
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.414 seconds.