Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Housatonic&Hudson  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2021 05:50:29(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   
Does anyone know what series aluminum alloy Märklin uses for their Budd coaches?

I recently found a mint California Zephyr at a decent price that is on its way to me, which I'm really excited to have as it is.

However, in searching for a Märklin streamliner set, I saw some images of sets in less than mint shape that started me thinking about interesting ways to refinish one if I found it at a great price. I'm thinking I could do something really nice if I anodized them and then etched text and articulating details of the body through that for a fictional RR line. However, this depends on whether they're made from an alloy that anodizes well.

Thank you,
Zachary
Zachary
---
My website
My blog
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Housatonic&Hudson
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2021 14:53:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You should be able to lightly sand the bare aluminum, prime with a good compatible primer, wet sand it, then air brush a finish with modelers metailizer paint. Fine wet sand, buff, and seal with an airbrushed protective clear. It is done with brass models, also a non ferrous metal. Do research. There is plenty.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2021 17:07:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am a proud owner of 19 silver 436xx streamliners, all of them previously owned. The aluminium surface seems to be indestructible: Once I removed the Amtrak stripes from a diner using acetone, and the aluminium surface didn’t suffer a bit. I wonder how such a streamliner surface couldn’t eternally keep a mint look. Maybe somebody poured paint over it? I would only try to clean it without “abrasive measures”. And I don’t see how the fluted sides could be effectively sanded anyway, let alone why any silver paint or finish would be needed on a shell made of “massive” aluminium.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2021 20:04:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
sand blasting?
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2021 21:41:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I am a proud owner of 19 silver 436xx streamliners, all of them previously owned. The aluminium surface seems to be indestructible: Once I removed the Amtrak stripes from a diner using acetone, and the aluminium surface didn’t suffer a bit. I wonder how such a streamliner surface couldn’t eternally keep a mint look. Maybe somebody poured paint over it? I would only try to clean it without “abrasive measures”. And I don’t see how the fluted sides could be effectively sanded anyway, let alone why any silver paint or finish would be needed on a shell made of “massive” aluminium.

You have noted an interesting learning here- those Amtrak stripes were no problem with acetone. Are they decals/vinyl or were that actual paint? I am curious as I've wanted to take a set and re-letter it for new york central for quite some time now :)
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2021 21:51:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I doubt I would ruin a paint scheme on any vintage or otherwise model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2021 00:34:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

You have noted an interesting learning here- those Amtrak stripes were no problem with acetone. Are they decals/vinyl or were that actual paint? I am curious as I've wanted to take a set and re-letter it for new york central for quite some time now :)

I would bet its paint, the whole Marklin system is designed for painting using one of three methods: -
1, general spray paint over the whole body, or with a physical mask (such as for block colour like the red/cream coaches)
2.imprint printing (also known as tampon printing) generally used for lettering or small colour areas.
3. "Inkjet" style printing, which has only come into use by Marklin over the last 6 or so years, used for graduated colours that would be impossible to do with tampon printing.

I would suggest the stripe on Amtrak coaches is probably done by the first method. The coach body would be held in a close fitting mask leaving just the area of the stripe exposed and then spray painted along the gap in the mask. Then any lettering on the coach will be done by tampon printing.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2021 01:24:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would bet its paint, the whole Marklin system is designed for painting using one of three methods: -
1, general spray paint over the whole body, or with a physical mask (such as for block colour like the red/cream coaches)
2.imprint printing (also known as tampon printing) generally used for lettering or small colour areas.
3. "Inkjet" style printing, which has only come into use by Marklin over the last 6 or so years, used for graduated colours that would be impossible to do with tampon printing.

I would suggest the stripe on Amtrak coaches is probably done by the first method. The coach body would be held in a close fitting mask leaving just the area of the stripe exposed and then spray painted along the gap in the mask. Then any lettering on the coach will be done by tampon printing.

Excellent, this project is back on the docket! I just need to sort how I want to handle the new lettering. Perhaps etched boards if available "off the shelf", otherwise decaling is a good plan B. Another thought is New Haven with the orange stripe, and perhaps converting one of these to pull it ;)

https://rapidotrains.com...-jet-electric-locomotive
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
#9 Posted : 07 May 2021 06:30:04(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all the responses and the dialogue!

Ak: what did you turn your Amtrak diner into after you stripped the stripe?
John: I'm glad to hear you're also considering doing a custom set.
Alan: Thank you for the detail on how the cars are painted, that's helpful.
Mike: I'm not so much thinking about ruining a paint scheme on a mint streamliner, but rather about where to go with one that is already ruined.

Where I work we do very high end finishing--along with some fabrication work--for artists, architects, artisans, etc. The aluminum bodies--especially if they're nearly indestructible--have some good options for creative refinishing. In particular, I'm thinking about a black anodized satin finish we've done for a few projects, which is why I was wondering if anyone knew the specific alloy they're made of: if, for instance, it's a 5xxx or 6xxx series aluminum. The anodizing is a durable finish and the contrast between it and the white metal below looks really good when it's etched through. Whether I do that or not, I don't think I would paint them. That they're made of aluminum rather than plastic--or even a zinc alloy--should be celebrated. This allows body details, text, and graphics to be articulated either subtly through textural differences, or with more contrast via oxidizing the metal in one way or another.

Zachary
---
My website
My blog
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Housatonic&Hudson
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2021 10:44:17(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
You should be able to lightly sand the bare aluminum, prime with a good compatible primer, wet sand it, then air brush a finish with modelers metailizer paint. Fine wet sand, buff, and seal with an airbrushed protective clear. It is done with brass models, also a non ferrous metal. Do research. There is plenty.

sand blasting?

I doubt I would ruin a paint scheme on any vintage or otherwise model.

No comment.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2021 10:46:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
...Amtrak stripes ... Are they decals/vinyl or were that actual paint?
I would bet its paint, the whole Marklin system is designed for painting...

I do confirm: paint.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#12 Posted : 07 May 2021 11:05:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Housatonic&Hudson Go to Quoted Post

Management summary: It remained without lettering and is serving in the general pool. The 3 ft rule allows for this.

Background: At the dawn of my US prototype times I started collecting Santa Fe models, which roamed the eBay plains in abundance and came thus cheap. Once I got the idea to re-create a ATSF Super Chief (SC) passenger train. Mother M* offered ATSF baggage cars, sleepers and observation cars, but neither dome cars nor diners. So I acquired a Rio Grande dome car (applying the aforementioned 3 ft rule) and a Amtrak diner. As described earlier, I stripped the diner of the stripes. The etched Rio Grande lettering on the dome car resisted. Therefore, the latter remained in the California Zephyr (CZ) pool. I still have Microscale decals for ATSF streamliner cars in stock, and I meant to apply them to the diner. Then two things happened: (1) M* released the ATSF Super Chief train set. (2) MU forum member BrandonVA made me become a Rio Grande convert. Consequently and eventually I acquired the CZ train set (pure awesomeness!) and the faux SC lost the DRGW dome car to the CZ. At the same time SC service was terminated with the diner going into hibernation in a drawer.

Slightly off topic: The Brazilian maker Frateschi offers 27 cm long streamliner cars with M*-style couplers. Even when keeping the DC plastic axles, adding some weight makes them mingle happily with M* stock. Meanwhile, my née ATSF Frateschi passenger cars became DRGW bumble bees. Acetone (yes!) allows to brush off ATSF lettering (the originally black plastic shells are painted silver in the factory). A short treatment with a rattle spray can heals the injury.

Edited by user 07 May 2021 15:37:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 07 May 2021 16:22:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have four sets of Märklin Budd coaches and I never knew that the SS look ones were painted. My CZ turns 22 years old this year and is still perfect however, so it makes sense that the bare aluminum was painted.

My newest set is the six coach UP set #43617 from last year. When I got them I put them out on display but had to pack them up again for a while because of the incredibly strong paint smell. It is pretty obvious that these coaches are painted and whatever paint they used took an unusually long time to cure. They are out again now (and with lighting ThumpUp ) and they don't stink a bit.

Now they just need an observation car and a diner to make a plausible train, although I am not hopeful.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2021 17:45:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have four sets of Märklin Budd coaches and I never knew that the SS look ones were painted. My CZ turns 22 years old this year and is still perfect however, so it makes sense that the bare aluminum was painted.

I would think the bare aluminium would have a clear lacquer on it to minimise finger marks and the like. Aluminium will loose its pristine colour over a period if the surface is not protected.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 07 May 2021 17:59:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I would think the bare aluminium would have a clear lacquer on it to minimize finger marks and the like. Aluminium will loose its pristine colour over a period if the surface is not protected.

That makes perfect sense Alan, I had just never really thought about it one way or the other.

A clear lacquer would explain why it looks like bare metal and also why it has stayed in perfect condition, as aluminium can discolor and pit over time unless it is protected in some fashion.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
#16 Posted : 07 May 2021 20:51:04(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   

Management summary: It remained without lettering and is serving in the general pool. The 3 ft rule allows for this.

Background: At the dawn of my US prototype times I started collecting Santa Fe models, which roamed the eBay plains in abundance and came thus cheap. Once I got the idea to re-create a ATSF Super Chief (SC) passenger train. Mother M* offered ATSF baggage cars, sleepers and observation cars, but neither dome cars nor diners. So I acquired a Rio Grande dome car (applying the aforementioned 3 ft rule) and a Amtrak diner. As described earlier, I stripped the diner of the stripes. The etched Rio Grande lettering on the dome car resisted. Therefore, the latter remained in the California Zephyr (CZ) pool. I still have Microscale decals for ATSF streamliner cars in stock, and I meant to apply them to the diner. Then two things happened: (1) M* released the ATSF Super Chief train set. (2) MU forum member BrandonVA made me become a Rio Grande convert. Consequently and eventually I acquired the CZ train set (pure awesomeness!) and the faux SC lost the DRGW dome car to the CZ. At the same time SC service was terminated with the diner going into hibernation in a drawer.

Slightly off topic: The Brazilian maker Frateschi offers 27 cm long streamliner cars with M*-style couplers. Even when keeping the DC plastic axles, adding some weight makes them mingle happily with M* stock. Meanwhile, my née ATSF Frateschi passenger cars became DRGW bumble bees. Acetone (yes!) allows to brush off ATSF lettering (the originally black plastic shells are painted silver in the factory). A short treatment with a rattle spray can heals the injury.

Ak: I like the back story. So what is this "3 ft rule"? A quick search of the forum yields all sorts of rules (general, of thumb, M* rules!, etc.) but nothing about 3 ft.

It's interesting to hear that the DRGW lettering is etched: would you say it's a deep etch (~1/128"+), or fairly superficial? We've played around a bit with over-etching at work--almost like a palimpsest in steel--which is pretty cool (see below), although I'm not sure how well it would work for this purpose. Then again, I have seen some of the M* European sets with rather graphic artwork applied to them, so I could create some for my own fictional American line.

You should take that lonely diner out of the drawer and rehab it as your own private excursion car.

I think my CZ is currently in a truck somewhere heading my way. I'm really looking forward to giving my lonely GG-1 some company, even if they would have been unlikely to meet in real life. Now that I've spent the budget on rolling stock, getting more track is more urgent than ever: I think the CZ is longer than the major axis of my the oval!

I'll have to take a look at the Frateschi. While I don't see it listed in M*'s DB for the earlier sets, I imagine the CZ coaches are 1:100 like the later ones, rather than 1:87. That 15% reduction is a lot, M* should reduce the price by the same!

Palimpsest.jpg
Zachary
---
My website
My blog
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Housatonic&Hudson
#17 Posted : 07 May 2021 21:08:59(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   
I would think the bare aluminium would have a clear lacquer on it to minimize finger marks and the like. Aluminium will loose its pristine colour over a period if the surface is not protected.

That makes perfect sense Alan, I had just never really thought about it one way or the other.

A clear lacquer would explain why it looks like bare metal and also why it has stayed in perfect condition, as aluminium can discolor and pit over time unless it is protected in some fashion.

Alan, I would also think that the bare aluminum probably has a clear lacquer on it. If I do come across an abused set in need of some care, I will probably lacquer, and possibly wax it once I'm happy with how it looks.

Jim, what are your other streamliners? The UP is definitely on my list to keep an eye out for; I also like the Montreal Ltd.
Zachary
---
My website
My blog
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Housatonic&Hudson
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 08 May 2021 01:16:16(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
what are your other streamliners? The UP is definitely on my list to keep an eye out for; I also like the Montreal Ltd.

In addition to my California Zephyr I have a Santa Fe Super Chief, which is almost as pretty as my CZ. BigGrin

I have a Montreal Limited, which is gorgeous with the blue and gold finishes and they are pulled by the Alco PA pair, which are just about the most beautiful diesels ever. ThumpUp

Finally I have the UP set they made for the 4014 two years ago - #43617 - which is nice but really is just a collection of coaches, much like a shortened version of the stuff they pulled behind the 4014 in its first (and so far and only) excursion year. Of course the 4014 pulled many more coaches plus spare fuel and water, and a backup diesel that almost never ran. So that is kind of a starter set for that train, but I will be surprised if they ever make additional UP coaches. The whole train seemed like just a one time marketing thing, because they had nothing else in HO for the big US anniversary.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Alsterstreek  
#19 Posted : 08 May 2021 01:21:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
My 3 ft rule: How long it looks good from this distance is good enough.

:o)

Märklin US streamliner coaches measure 26 cm in length, which compared with the 85 ft prototype translates into 1:100.

However for somebody not having an entire basement at his disposal - like your correspondent - this is an advantage.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
#20 Posted : 08 May 2021 06:07:13(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   

In addition to my California Zephyr I have a Santa Fe Super Chief, which is almost as pretty as my CZ. BigGrin

I have a Montreal Limited, which is gorgeous with the blue and gold finishes and they are pulled by the Alco PA pair, which are just about the most beautiful diesels ever. ThumpUp

Jim, that Alco pair at the head of the MTL Ltd is really nice. I'd also like to get the A-A Alcos and the A-B-A F7s in the PRR livery, although they'd be even better with something nice for them to pull.

:o)

Märklin US streamliner coaches measure 26 cm in length, which compared with the 85 ft prototype translates into 1:100.

However for somebody not having an entire basement at his disposal - like your correspondent - this is an advantage.

Ak, that's a good rule! I could probably benefit from more of that in my life.

While I definitely benefit from the streamliner scale reduction in my currently cramped quarters, the proportions of the non-truncated coaches are more elegant.
Zachary
---
My website
My blog
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Housatonic&Hudson
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 08 May 2021 15:10:52(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I'd also like to get the A-A Alcos and the A-B-A F7s in the PRR livery, although they'd be even better with something nice for them to pull.

Zachary, I considered those PRR F7s but I agree that they would be more desirable with some appropriate coaches to pull. I recently bought the SOO Line F7 ABA set (#39620) which is going to pull some of my US freight cars.

While I definitely benefit from the streamliner scale reduction in my currently cramped quarters, the proportions of the non-truncated coaches are more elegant.

I agree that the full scale models look better, but I have come to appreciate that Märklin often makes compromises to allow people to run trains in the amount of space most of us can reasonably devote to them. If everything was produced at normal HO scale we would need stadiums to host our trains. lol

Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 08 May 2021 15:15:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I like your 3 ft rule!

If your trains are going to sit on a shelf only to be admired, then full size would be ideal. But for those of us who run these little beasties, the shorter models work very well indeed.

Regards,
Jim

Offline Alsterstreek  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2021 15:27:44(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
#24 Posted : 08 May 2021 18:25:03(UTC)
Housatonic&Hudson

United States   

Thanks for the links Ak!

And for an example of what I was talking about with the start of this thread, maybe some of you also came across this recently:

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 9.32.06 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-08 at 11.50.21 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-08 at 11.52.01 AM.jpg

Someone clearly wanted a UP set in the days before M* made one, so they went and made their own!

A set in that condition can become whatever you want it to be. It's at a very tempting price right now, but my wallet really can't handle another train purchase.
Zachary
---
My website
My blog
Offline Alsterstreek  
#25 Posted : 08 May 2021 22:10:32(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The horror !

:0/
Offline europromo  
#26 Posted : 14 September 2021 04:48:35(UTC)
europromo

United States   
Hello, I have now 2 1/2 Streamliner coach sets (Amtrak, CZ and half of the Santa Fe train that came with the American Premium Starter set), and love those coaches. I bought a EMD F7 double unit as well as X 995 Asea Electric Locomotive for the Amtrak train. Now I'm looking for a PRR coach set, as I just received a GG1 that needs something to pull...BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by europromo
Offline kimballthurlow  
#27 Posted : 14 September 2021 22:31:41(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: europromo Go to Quoted Post
.... Now I'm looking for a PRR coach set, as I just received a GG1 that needs something to pull...BigGrin

Hello Tom,
As AK said earlier the Frateschi Budd coaches made in Brazil are available in Pennsy stripe aluminium finish.
From memory they come in coach, diner and maybe sleeper.
They may not be easy to find.

I have a GG1 by Trix (2 rail) and purchased 7 Frateschi cars which run beatifully on Märklin or 2 rail track.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline europromo  
#28 Posted : 15 September 2021 05:16:00(UTC)
europromo

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: europromo Go to Quoted Post
.... Now I'm looking for a PRR coach set, as I just received a GG1 that needs something to pull...BigGrin

Hello Tom,
As AK said earlier the Frateschi Budd coaches made in Brazil are available in Pennsy stripe aluminium finish.
From memory they come in coach, diner and maybe sleeper.
They may not be easy to find.

I have a GG1 by Trix (2 rail) and purchased 7 Frateschi cars which run beatifully on Märklin or 2 rail track.

Kimball

Thanks for the info, where can you buy these Frateschi coaches? There is a Marklin PRR Streamliner set (https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/43616), but I haven't found any for sale. There are plenty of AMTRAK sets for sale, but I'm not into repainting/redecorating (yet).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by europromo
Offline Alsterstreek  
#29 Posted : 15 September 2021 12:00:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Currently, the Frateschi catalogue contains the following PRR passenger cars:

2541 - First Class Coach PENNSYLVANIA
2542 - Dining Car PENNSYLVANIA
2544 - Observation Car PENNSYLVANIA

Source: https://www.frateschi.co...assageiros-budd/?lang=en

The miracle is to find a seller outside of Brazil. Maybe one of the Brazilian dealers listed on the Frateschi website is willing to ship to your country.