Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Keyser  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:55:10(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
My brother recently sent me an Electrotron wine barrel car made in Spain. The barrels are made of wood and it is very nice. However, it derails on switches. The pressed on wheels have loosened on the axles and wobble. I am trying to remove the axles so that I can put a drop of adhesive on the axles to hold the wheels on the axles. The problem is that the axles are in metal holders that look to be integral to the metal frame of the car. Before I try to bend the axle holders and break something, is there a trick to this operation? All of the axle removal posts that i have found havre to do with locomotives or plastic axle holders.
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2021 19:54:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If you run 3 rail, get a/c wheelsets from Marklin or Roco. They should fit the bogies/trucks. If you run 2 rail, the new d.c. wheelsets. measure the diameter and match with the new ones you order. Sounds like Era 1, or 2, so a wheel set for a Marklin or Roco era 1 or 2 freight. or beer wagon should work.
Offline Keyser  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2021 20:27:37(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
But, the question is, how to get the axles off?
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2021 21:08:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Keyser Go to Quoted Post
But, the question is, how to get the axles off?

Ok, I think I may have found your wine car on Ebay. Does it have thick axles, with a long spring connecting both bogies to center the couplers? Are the couplers metal, like old Marklin Relex couplers?
I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like to me you can remove the wheels without ruining both wheels and axles. If you can't get replacement axles with wheels intact,one possible remedy might be to remove the barrels off the frame and get a Marklin barrel car frame/bottom and mount them on that.
Otherwise, one in nice condition is for sale for $32 on ebay in Hacienda Heitghts Ca. Thats in the San Gabriel valley up above Whittier near Puente Hills. Another not as nice is offered in Surprize Az., northwest Phoenix for $60. Both have original boxes.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2021 22:28:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Not sure about your car but there is an Electrotren wine car looking like this.
Sans titre.png

To me there is a very high probability, the wheel axles end with a cone and rotate into a plastic cone (wheel bearings) and usually you extract the wheel by gently making the wheel bearings wider (by one mm or so) with a screwdriver or with your nails. On other types, the axle is pinched in the middle so that it does not fall off.
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 03 May 2021 11:40:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2021 06:55:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here's another way to remove an Axel:

;)

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2021 07:03:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Normally, the axles can be removed by sticking a flat screw driver between the wheel and the plastic/metal holder on the outside.
Use a little bit of force to expand the space between the two and then using your other hand, you should be able to retract the wheel set and repair or replace it.
Be mindful with the use of force as you don't want to bend or damage the holder.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2021 12:28:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Re; Axel Foley. Not without a twist of lemon! That movie has some of the best lines surpassed only by a few. One being the Birdcage.