Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 3rail4life  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2016 09:55:18(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hello All,

Recently one of my customers gave me the opportunity to repair some 6021's that were shorting out when power was supplied. I believe they may have been damaged by an improper transformer connection to the output terminals, or just failed from old age, not exactly sure, but felt it would be worth a try to fix them. Thankfully I was able to get some guidance on how to get started from here: Reparaturen. It is short and in German, so I thought for the forum I could explain and expand on it in English for those that may be interested in reviving their 6021's.

The first step is to remove the external case screws from the heat sink and the plugs that hold the case together, the two screws are easy, the four plugs, a bit more complicated:

Drilling a small hole in the center of the plug allows a screw to be attached.

Once attached, a gentle pull on the screw with a set of pliers is all that is needed to remove it.

With the controller face down, the base may lifted off. The lower circuit board can then be litfed out and flipped over into the base to access the remaining heat sink screws and transistors.

There are two black screws in the heatsink that go into the case that need to be removed before the lower circuit board can be lifted out /BDNZ

Here the challenge is getting the transistor screws removed, the circuit board in front of them prevents easy access with a screwdriver, I used pliers to loosen them. Once they are removed there is one more screw holding the heatsink to the board that needs to be removed and heat sink is off.

Now the transistors may be desoldered, take note of the values and their position for the installation back on to the heat sink. the desoldering is probably the most difficult part, take care not to damage the board or any of the other surface components when removing the transistors and solder, the thru-holes must have all excess solder removed before reassembly.

Install the new transistors in the correct orientation on the heat sink.

Solder new transistors to the board and replace bottom heat sink screw.

Reassemble Control Unit and test...

All three 6021 units I received for repair had a least one bad transistor, I replaced all three in each with new ones and each worked well upon completion.

Parts used on each: 1 x BDW93CFP, 2 x BDW94CFP, STMicroelectronics brand. Other brands and types are compatible, just be sure they are of the correct values and insulated from the heat sink.

Tools used: 1.8 mm drill and pin vise, 2 mm self tapping screw, small serrated jaw pliers, phillips head screwdriver, solder station, solder wick, solder and flux.

Good desoldering and soldering skills plus knowledge of integrated circuits are required for this repair, please do not attempt if not proficient.

Cheers,
Gordon

Edited by moderator 29 January 2024 03:21:33(UTC)  | Reason: Topic made 'Sticky', added line breaks for clarity

thanks 27 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2016 10:24:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In my case, the buttons do not react when pushed. I figure there is a plastic form underneath the buttons which holds the buttons in place and presses down on the circuit board at the appropriate place. There may be some dust or other contaminant interfering with pressing a button or it may just be that the plastic form is not sitting properly in place.
Did you have any luck accessing that part of the unit and what would I need to do to repair it?
When I have seen similar issues on TV and VCR remotes, they were usually done for.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 3rail4life  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:21:48(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
The controls are on a second board which attaches to the top of the case, it is accessible when the case is open but I did not wish to disturb any of the buttons, I left that part of the unit in place and can not advise on the disassembly.

Interestingly, the article I referenced for the case disassembly, Reparaturen , also shows how to repair a TV remotes keys, not sure if the trick works with the 6021 though.

Cheers,
Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:58:38(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The contacts in a 6021 look like these:

contacts

You can buy new ones and exchange them; but I don't think you can fix a broken one.

Be sure to have everything ESP-protected when you solder on the 6021.

The contacts in a mobile station is the same type as shown on the "Reperaturen" page on the TV-remote.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2016 21:02:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
.... repair some 6021's that were shorting out when power was supplied.
I believe they may have been damaged by an improper transformer connection to the output terminals, ....

I concur. My experience is that 95% (yes I have done more than 20) of these failures are with the driver transistors and that most can be attributed to a Yellow-to-red mix up. Although a couple were from a lightening strike to the house.

I also agree with replacing the transistors in matched pairs. Even if you have an exact vendor/ID replacement for the obviously failed one, his mate is most likely stressed.

I do think that the design is good. If something has to fail, you want it to 1) cause an obvious fault 2) produce an obvious symptom 3) fail in such a way (sacrificial) that additional impact to internal components is (largely) prevented. And these transistors are really the easiest of the components to replace.

P.S. I would say there are 3 failure symptoms, depending exactly on how the transistors fail.
1) One transistor fails with a short - this causes the 6021 to appear to work with numbers displayed and keypad working, but the red "track power light" will turn off as soon as you try to turn it on
2) Both transistors short - causing the transformer that supplies the 6021 to cutout
3) a transformer fails but open (does not short) - simply no power gets to the track
Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2016 07:36:07(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Mike,

You can easily pick these up from Abra or Addison here in Montreal.
If you need any help with it, let me know.
- Mark

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

The contacts in a 6021 look like these:

contacts

You can buy new ones and exchange them; but I don't think you can fix a broken one.

Be sure to have everything ESP-protected when you solder on the 6021.

The contacts in a mobile station is the same type as shown on the "Reperaturen" page on the TV-remote.

Per.

Cool

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2016 10:44:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Well thanks to Peter and his worthwhile assistance and all the right instruction I've received, my 6021 works fine, as mentioned before, bought it second hand and only tried it out recently for a friends locos and to my embarrassment the loco numbers didn't react to the loco. did the same as above.

part of being able to repair them I wouldn't like to have a guess how much they charge for repairs if you send it into Märklin + the postage cost from and to Australia.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Ton Schluter  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2021 18:41:04(UTC)
Ton Schluter

Netherlands   
I do have experience in repair 6021 's but found out that there are different versions of the printed circuit bords. Another source told me that an other weak point is the diode bridge but sofar I do not have experimented that. It would be very helpful to have a schematic diagram. And I did not find any one in all the yeard that I use the 6021 ones. They are still asked because of the ease of changing loc numbers. I am happy with this post. Thanks for that. Ton

Edited by moderator 08 March 2021 23:43:49(UTC)  | Reason: Removed quote of entire first post...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ton Schluter
Offline tonyfh  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2021 19:31:07(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Ton, All,

Don't ask where I found it but it was a long time ago and I saved it, a schematic diagram of a 6021 control unit.

Schema van Marklin 6021 control unit.pdf (832kb) downloaded 250 time(s).

from 2007, really a long time ago.

Greetings, Tony.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tonyfh
Offline Tkid  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2021 15:26:13(UTC)
Tkid

Netherlands   
Thank you for this useful information. I just unpacked my Märklin stuff and started building after quite some years. I just found out my 6021 has an issue: the L diod, and with that the whole thing, doesn't work. If anyone has suggestions.....

Cheers, have nice weekend,
Jos

Edited by moderator 17 June 2021 23:54:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tkid
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2021 16:57:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Can a 6001 trafo be repaired? Mine is dead. It was fine beofre. No major shorts. I did leave it plugged in overnite once.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2021 21:52:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Possibly....

I had a grey 60va transformer fail. It was opened using the same method as described for the 6021 above. Inside the transformer are two zeneer diodes one of which had failed. After replacing both diodes the transformer worked fine and continues to do so.

I don't know if this is pertinent to your repair but it's worth trying.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline BenP  
#13 Posted : 17 June 2021 15:02:00(UTC)
BenP

United States   
After going 1980s digital, I got a 2nd 6021, which seems to have a sticky red turning knob (potentiometer). Sometimes turning won't slow/speed, with unfortunate consequences (just reassembled my ICE after crash). I have contact cleaner and alcohol, but wonder how to get into the knob. Can I just pull dial off and then spray from outside (or is there a little screw I missed), or does it require getting to it from the inside (using instructions above)?
Going digital proved pretty doable, by the way, provided I used the right motor conversion sets and old-style decoders (thank you eBay).
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline Bryan  
#14 Posted : 30 October 2021 03:36:45(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
A bit more information about the repair of the 6021.

The replacement 6021 housing pegs are available from Marklin.

Do we have a part number??

However you may need a Marklin customer id to obtain them.
The 6021's I get in for repair can be finished off nicely with these, back to original.
The graphic is attached which will also help in what is actually being extracted.
This would apply to the current analogue controller dismantling as well.

6021 pegs.jpg

David

Edited by moderator 28 January 2024 11:59:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Ton Schluter  
#15 Posted : 26 February 2022 22:47:51(UTC)
Ton Schluter

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
A bit more information about the repair of the 6021.

The replacement 6021 housing pegs are available from Marklin.
However you may need a Marklin customer id to obtain them.
The 6021's I get in for repair can be finished off nicely with these, back to original.
The graphic is attached which will also help in what is actually being extracted.
This would apply to the current analogue controller dismantling as well.

6021 pegs.jpg

David

David, I have no customer ID for Marklin but is it possible that you can order these pegs,
for me? Tell me the total costs included the amount to send it to holland. If possible I wil
give you my address in teh Netherlands. Or tell me how to get a marklin customer ID.
Ik have several controllers repaired but not the right pegs.
Thanks in advance for any answer.
Regards from Ton Schluter.
Offline Bryan  
#16 Posted : 27 February 2022 11:38:07(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Tom

I repair Marklin professionally here in Australia and the only one I know with direst access to Marklin Service, other than 3 dealers. The customer Id is because I get the spare parts direct from Marklin. With the pegs, I was in contact with Marklin Service at the time and just happened to mention about the 6021 pegs. Nothing was said, however 2 months later a packet of 6021 pegs arrived in the post. So really I know nothing more, no part numbers etc, maybe someone just being kind. Marklin have done this a couple of times. I needed boiler pipe work that is critical to hold the current BR01 cab on. It is an unlisted part and also came as a surprise. Then there are other parts that are just invoiced on the customer Id and both arrive at the same time before even paying.

What I have found with Marklin Service is, they really take it all very seriously and do help with the correct parts. I do see posts in this forum contrary to this and it is never the case in my view. A top old school firm to deal with basically.

So on the topic of the 6021 pegs sorry cannot be of anymore help. The first post was really to inform the pegs are available, not that I could supply them.

David

Edited by user 27 February 2022 18:08:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Jvdwaa  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2023 12:00:56(UTC)
Jvdwaa

Netherlands   
You don't have to replace the pegs if you only make a small hole in the pegs (and don't destroy them). The Intellibox is using a similar construction to lock the casing.
I drilled a 2mm hole, just deep enough to to get a thin screw just a bit in it. After pulling out the pegs you then can reuse the peg.

Joost
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jvdwaa
Offline marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2023 13:40:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and white plastic sprues from model kits also fit the holes. Just cut off the ends after reassembly.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 28 January 2024 10:33:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Jvdwaa Go to Quoted Post
I drilled a 2mm hole, just deep enough to to get a thin screw just a bit in it. After pulling out the pegs you then can reuse the peg.

I drilled a 1.5mm hole and used C track screws as they are quite thin.

Here's a picture of the transistors in my 6021 just before they were removed.

20240127_185028[1].jpg

As you can see

Left - BDW93CFP
Centre - BDW94CFP
Right - BDW94CFP

I'm told by an electrical engineer friend who loves this era of digital components that the left and centre transistor pair provide the track output and the 2nd BDW94 on the right provides power to the rest of the 6021. I received my 6021 in a completely dead state, and the used Marklin dealer who sold it to me will send another replacement unit when I next order, but I thought I would have a go at repairing the faulty unit. I have replaced all 3 output transistors with replacements obtained off eBay. Despite being of Chinese manufacture and not from ST Electronics, they were a direct like for like replacement with the new transistors fitting in the same orientation as the originals. They do not need an insulating washer or heatsink paste - the originals don't have this - just screw them as is to the heatsink with the screws you take out.

Replacing the transistors has bought my 6021 to life and it is working as normal. There were no signs of burnt components or scorching of any type. As clapcott Offline has said to me peviously it is good that these transistors completely fail sacrificing themselves so that no further downstream damage is caused.

Source of transistors from Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.c...st_main.5.2a891802oianmy

I used a Pro'sKit desoldering pump, which does a good job of sucking most of the solder from both sides of the 6021's circuit board
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline marklinist5999  
#20 Posted : 28 January 2024 14:18:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I was unaware that transistors of this type fail. I only knew capacitors can after 8 to 15 or so years because they either overheat or just leak. Even if the component sits unused they can. Very common for cd and dvd players in addition to the lubricant drying out or condensation corroding the transport drive switches.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 28 January 2024 16:16:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I was unaware that transistors of this type fail.

They will fail under some short circuit conditions. Another way to make them fail is to have a booster on an adjacent block incorrectly wired, or apply the output of a transformer to the track terminals on the 6021.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 29 January 2024 03:10:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
They will fail under some short circuit conditions. Another way to make them fail is to have a booster on an adjacent block incorrectly wired, or apply the output of a transformer to the track terminals on the 6021.

Which is what I think may have happened to my 6021 but can't be 100% sure as it was purchased online from a European dealer - seems the unit slipped through their checking process.

I haven't tested the transistors that came out yet to see which of them failed. If replacing, it is always best to replace all not just the faulty one.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz