Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2021 05:27:44(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
Hi all.

After being away from Marklin for 40 years, I'm back.

With the help of family, I've started buying track and trains. I have a blue box 37547 transformer, a 3111 loco, and a bunch of M track, as well as a few cars & caboose. I also have connector track 5111 and 5103. Since I don't have a permanent home for a layout yet, I just assembled a rough oval on the living room floor. The cat seems mildly interested.

My concern is that my loco does not move.

Most everything that I have is used, but it all appears to be in good to excellent condition. My two feeder tracks are brand new in box.

I honestly am unsure where to begin, and I am hoping that the collective experience here can get my wheels rolling.

Thank you all so much in advance.
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2021 08:15:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Check if any lights come on on the loco, any humming sounds etc from it?

Motor may be gummed up from sitting for so long, if that is the case a quick clean out will get it going again
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2021 09:02:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
if the motor i seized I wouldn't try to start her again otherwise you could burn out the motor., make sure you've got the wires connected properly.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2021 17:31:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
1) Check to see whether the transformer is working. You can use a lightbulb with a rating higher than 20VAC or voltmeter to test

2) One of the other ways to test is to have a coach with lighting or a car with taillights

If there is power output from the transformer, then your issue is likely with the locomotive or track

Connect a small strip of track (Feeder plus maybe two more sections) and test the locomotive there.

If the locomotive works on the test section, but not when the layout is fully assembled, you likely have an issue on the track.

If there is power, but the locomotive has no lights or motor sounds/motion, the problem is likely with the locomotive

Report back so that we can better diagnose.

DO NOT LEAVE LOCO UNDER POWER IF NO RESPONSE AND DO NOT MANUALLY TRY TO MOVE IT

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2021 12:06:06(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have had the same problem recently. I bougth a 3665 loco at an auction and lights and Telex coupler were working but the loco was seized up. I opened it and removed the two brushes, the wheel did not turn. I removed the motor shield, the black piece that covers the rotor where the two brushes are inserted, and this too did not allow me to turn the wheels. So I got a can of WD-40 and sprayed the cog wheels and the axles of the loco. After a few squirts things started moving a bit and then even better. Now the loco is running again.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:04:30(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think the issue is with my loco. There does not seem to be any sort of brush or contact (slider?) underneath for the center (third?) rail.

I checked my transformer with my trusty Fluke 115 DVOM and I have output of between one and 18.6 volts.

Does anyone have a parts guide for my 3111 loco? I'm not sure what I may be missing.

Thanks again in advance.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2021 21:42:29(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Stuart_B_S Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have a parts guide for my 3111 loco? I'm not sure what I may be missing.
There is no 3011 info available on the Märklin website, but I understand that the 3092 description serves for this purpose, too. Link: https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=3092&lang=1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2021 21:52:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Stuart
Here is the exploded view of the same loco with a different paint scheme
Explodedview.pdf (188kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
So it will help with the assembly but parts are not available by Märklin anymore.
For a seized model you need dissolve the frozen oil with lighter fluid
For a model which turns partly you have to clean the gears and remove small stones like ballast with a brush
I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#9 Posted : 20 April 2021 03:37:17(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
Here is the bottom of my 3111:

IMG_4701.jpg

Obviously, there's no slider.

As far as I can tell, all I need to do is get a slider and a screw.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, the parts guide lists a small piece, #45, but there is no description of what this piece is. Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Stuart_B_S
Offline Unholz  
#10 Posted : 20 April 2021 07:21:14(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   

Also, the parts guide lists a small piece, #45, but there is no description of what this piece is. Any ideas?

#45 is probably a "contact plate", a small brass rectangle with an attached wire that leads from the slider to the inside of the locomotive, hereby establishing power to the motor.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 20 April 2021 08:44:55(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again in advance!

Hello Stuart,

From your image, for your 3111 locomotive you will need a new :

- slider ( "Schleifer"), part 46 on parts diagram, Märklin part number 7185 (shown as temporarily not in stock, but I note them on eBay)

- screw for same ("Senkschraube"), part 47 on parts diagram, Märklin part number 756100 (shown not available but I see they are on eBay)

- brass contact for slider (for wire to motor) ("Kontaktplatte") part 45 on parts diagram, Märklin part number 273890 (shown not available
but I see they are on eBay)

Have fun,

PJ
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 20 April 2021 11:48:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Stuart
I concur with my friends above except that part 45 is not made of brass but it is like a one-sided PCB.
The side in contact with the loco chassis must be insulated.
There is a simple alternative: to solder a red wire to the slider spring (on the side of the insulation plate) and pull it through the hole in the front cavity
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#13 Posted : 26 April 2021 01:33:10(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
I'm thrilled with all the responses and help. Thank you all so very much.

I can not find the brass contact, Märklin part number 273890, on eBay.

Does anyone have a line on one? I'd prefer not to have to solder as suggested by Jean, but will if I have to.
Offline PJMärklin  
#14 Posted : 26 April 2021 08:12:53(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Does anyone have a line on one? I'd prefer not to have to solder as suggested by Jean, but will if I have to.

Try these below.

The item is just a very small brass plate, mounted on a thin small plate of non-conducting material (like veroboard without the copper strips) with an attached wire that goes through the chassis hole up to the power source for the decoder/motor. The small piece of brass on the board then makes contact with the power pickup slider when you screw on the slider. Indeed I expect one could make one out of a piece of veroboard but as Jean has indicated, a wire soldered onto the slider itself (but not contacting the chassis) will do fine, and more pragmatic that making your own part.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline eduard71  
#15 Posted : 27 April 2021 03:10:56(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   

Have you opened the locomotive? if no, please do it and let us know, It seems rare to me that you have a locomotive without the slider and the brass contact. Please open it, you should have a mechanical inversor connected to the coil of the locomotive that need to be connected to the slider trough a cable.

Regards

Eduardo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 28 April 2021 18:11:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

IMG_4701.jpg

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again in advance!

Sorry to rain a bit on the parade, but it looks like your loco is a 2 rail version . That seems to be the case because of the sliders on the tender .
Adding a pick up slider and turning it into a 3-rail loco is no big deal , but requires a bit more work
It would be good if you could publish a picture of the loco with its body off would help.
The magic screw to open it is on top of the boiler in the sand dome.

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#17 Posted : 04 May 2021 02:05:22(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
Hi all,
I have a slider coming from Ebay, but will not be able to look at it until July. I am headed out of town for work for work for eight weeks. I will disassemble my loco and post pics when I get home. Thanks!
Offline Stuart_B_S  
#18 Posted : 03 August 2021 04:13:15(UTC)
Stuart_B_S

Canada   
Gentlemen, thank you all for your help and patience. I am finally home from work, and finally have some time to further investigate my issue.

I have the slider and screw, and I have the body off..

Pics are attached.

Where do I go from here as far as wiring?

Thanks!IMG_6412.jpgIMG_6413.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Stuart_B_S
Offline cookee_nz  
#19 Posted : 03 August 2021 08:27:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Gentlemen, thank you all for your help and patience. I am finally home from work, and finally have some time to further investigate my issue.

I have the slider and screw, and I have the body off..

Pics are attached.

Where do I go from here as far as wiring?

Thanks!

Hi Stuart, as Jacques suggested, it's definitely a 2-rail DC Loco.

The question is whether it was originally 3-rail and has since been converted to 2-rail, or, did it leave the factory as 2-rail (aka HAMO 8311). Looking at it, I suspect it may already be modified, the Diode PCB is not original.

You are faced with a reasonable amount of work to return it to 3-rail. It certainly 'can' be done, but at present the wheels are insulated from either side, both on the Loco and Tender.

It is possible to ignore this, but the risk is that slow-running may be an issue due to the lack of sufficient wheel/rail contacts points, particularly over turnouts, double-slips etc.

So you are faced with adding the required pickup shoe, plus, deciding whether to directly solder it as suggested (not preferred because replacing it becomes more difficult), or sourcing / fabricating the required contact plate (ref #45 in the exploded view diagram).

Then you also need to replace the existing Diode circuit (needed for directional lighting) and replacing it with either an original mechanical reverse unit, or, a Decoder.

You could fit just a decoder, and make use of the existing motor, or fit a complete conversion kit including decoder, armature, brush plate & field magnet.

Or, depending whether there is any particular attachment to that particular Loco, cut your losses, resell it as-is to a 2-rail modeller and purchase the same 3-rail version to replace it.

Perhaps not what you want to hear, but sometimes you just have to be pragmatic and weigh up the work involved, the costs of parts etc, to still have what will always be a compromise.

Regards

Cookee

Edited by user 03 August 2021 12:05:34(UTC)  | Reason: Removed repeated images, typos

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image