Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2021 02:30:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
After trying to help the author figure out the issue with his locomotive/setup as described here:
https://www.marklin-user.../t46696-Stalling-Mystery

I have decided to take this weekend to investigate a similar problem that I have experienced over the past month, since I set up my first teppichbahn using my MS2 instead of the 6021 (digital) or 6646 (analog) which I had previously used.

What I am specifically trying to find out is if there is a greater number of stall incidents when using MS2 and track box compared to operation using either 6002/6021 (Digital) or simple 6646 (120V-16VAC analog).

I have noted that certain locomotives seem prone to stalls using the current setup (MS2). My theory is that this issue is aggravated when using the MS2 with DC and is less significant in operation with Motorola Digital or regular AC (Analog).

To test this, I will be using a few Roco models (Re 4/4II) and Maerklin's Re 6/6 and other models which have exhibited stalling with the MS2.
Each locomotive will be tested using the MS2, then the MS2 will be replaced with 6002/6021 and finally with 6646.

I will also be testing the track using coaches with lighting to see whether there is any change in the flickering.

Track locations where stalling is common will be swapped out for new track sections to minimize any role that the track may be playing.

I will report back here in the next day or two.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2021 16:20:26(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Mike,
Did you find anything definitive

Thanks
Roger
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2021 17:38:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have been a little busy preparing for an upcoming move, so I have not had the chance to retrieve my 6646 or 6002/6021 from the boxes.
Hopefully I can get to it this weekend. I know where the box is, but there are some other boxes that will need to be moved first.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2021 18:23:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mike
Stalling may have multiple causes:
  • bad contact on the current pick-up (wheels or slider). The lights are off, no sounds

• bad contact on the motor. The decoder is powered but the loco does not move. Lights and sounds are on and usually, a power OFF and ON restarts the loco. 2 possibilities, the decoder switches the motor off when detecting (possibly by mistake) an overload, or the motor needs a bit of rotating to restore the collector good contact. This case is not frequent but happened to me a few times

The 6021 delivers a digital current (+/- 19 VC) only in MM2 format while the MS2 delivers MM2, MFX and DCC format messages.
Using AC power causes the decoder to deliver hashed voltage to the motor, slightly different in shape (Voltage / frequency) from the drive resulting of digital operation.

What in your case is a stalling?
IMO, on a clean track and clean wheels / slider there is NO reason for stalling (except on track pieces with a short 2 axle loco with short slider).
Cheers
Jean