Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline George Culliver  
#51 Posted : 14 April 2021 10:10:36(UTC)
George Culliver

Australia   
Thank you Phil. I will look for that page and do exactly that. Great TIP!!!BigGrin

While you are on the line, what do you know about sound decoders in steam engines?

I bought a 39052 from Germany some years ago. Beautiful blue steam engine with all the bells and whistles. After perhaps an hour total of running, it simply stopped moving. All the functions work perfectly, but when giving forward or reverse command, it moves about .5 or 1mm and nothing else.

At first I thought it was jambed in some way, but I pulled it apart and proved that there is nothing stopping rotation of the motor shaft. There is nothing obvious to see on the 21 pin decoder.

Recently I thought I might need a new decoder and contacted the seller in Germany (no names here) , but they declined to get a part in for me. They told me to contact Marklin. I have sent 2 emails to Marklin and received Zero response from them. Are Marklin shut down because of the virus? We are lucky here in Perth....... no virus!!

Now I wonder of the decoder just needs to be reset in some way. Meanwhile my $650 engine is a doorstop!Cursing

Cheers Ed (George)
Offline phils2um  
#52 Posted : 14 April 2021 20:19:41(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I don't know if I can help you with that decoder question. I have a Märklin LGB electric lok that stopped responding to drive commands. I think it happened because there are sound file items and pantograph motors that take a bit of time to complete their direction reversal "dance" if you want to call it that. I was trying to uncouple some wagons over an electric uncoupler. A train needs to be carefully positioned in reverse over the uncoupler for it to work when more than a few wagons are being uncoupled (LGB symmetric hook and loop). I was rather quickly switching between forward and reverse when the motor stopped responding. I think all the back and forth commands while it was still in its direction change sequence confused the decoder. Lights and other functions still worked but the lok would not move. Just hitting STOP and letting it sit unpowered for a few seconds seemed to clear it up. It started working fine again.

You might also carefully check the connections between the motor and decoder adaptor board to verify they are OK. I had another lok that I had converted where a side crank pulled a motor wire from the decoder. I put in some zip ties to keep the wires clear of the moving parts after the repair.

Another totally unrelated hint about the browser connection to the CS3. This is by far the easiest way to access the CS3's built in help. Just click on the ? in web server menu bar and you can easily scroll through all the help pages. While you're at it check out everything else that is there. Some really useful stuff. The "Control" button on the far right opens a lok controller that I find much easier to use in the garden than VNC on a phone or tablet. I have trouble making sure curser with is where it needs to be when using VNC. My CS3 and boosters are inside the house and I control trains with my phone or tablet via WiFi.
Phil S.
Offline George Culliver  
#53 Posted : 17 April 2021 11:13:53(UTC)
George Culliver

Australia   
Hello Phil,

Your garden railway sounds great. I started to dabble in 32mm gauge Marklin, but didn't get far...... ended up selling it all to concentrate on HO. I would give an eye tooth for a Marklin Gauge I crocodile.

I will keep trying to find out how to 'reset' the 39502.... if all else fails I will try phone Marklin as they don't respond to emails.

I am so pleased to have got the new CS3+ working on the PC....... by the way please see my version info...
20210413_093059rs.jpg
I think it is very old stock but the hardware version is newer than your????

I go to surgery on Wednesday for the second knee replacement........ the first one is not mending too well, so I might not be able to get upstairs to the train room for a whileCursing

Thank you again for everybody's helpBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Kind regards
Ed (George) Perth, Australia
Offline phils2um  
#54 Posted : 17 April 2021 23:07:21(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Hi George - I've got a CS3 where as your's is a CS3+. I'm guessing that is the difference in Hardware Version numbers. Best wishes for a successful knee replacement.
Phil S.