Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline angiea  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2021 23:47:05(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Hi,
I hope someone can help me.
I was running my Z gauge Rheingold train yesterday when the engine started to make horrible grinding noises and it struggled to move. I uncoupled it from the carriages, but it still wouldn't go. I tried it backwards and it ran perfectly. Running my finger over the wheels, I found they moved freely, which obviously they shouldn't. It seems like whatever makes them move ( and prevents them moving when pushed) isn't engaging. With this model, you can't see the cogs underneath, but I think it is to do with them. I don't have much experience with dealing with engine repairs. I have cleaned grease from motors, cleaned brushes and bent then for better contact and applied oil, but that's about it. I don't understand why this happened so suddenly or why the engine runs backwards perfectly. I can't see anything that looks damaged, but, although I'm happy to take the body off the chassis, I haven't dared undo the screw at the bottom of the chassis where the wheels are, as I don't know what might fall out! Can anyone help me, please. I love Rheingold engine.
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2021 00:11:50(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
There's a hidden worm gear that takes motion from motor axis down to the lower gears. That can strip with age.

Edited by user 26 March 2021 19:09:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2021 00:32:36(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi Yes that topic has come up many times on the Forum.

To see previous discussions, just do a search "only runs backwards".

I hope you are able to figure this one out, parts might be an issue, but I am certain Z Hobo could help out.

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline angiea  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2021 22:11:51(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Thank you for your help. I've spent quite some time today researching the problem further, but I still have some issues and would be really grateful if anyone can help answer my questions.
In order to replace the worm gear, I obviously need to get to the old one. I've found a small screw on top of the engine (after removing the body) and this looks like it will remove the motor part. It's just behind a yellow / green thing ( sorry, not good on the technical terms) and looks like it will remove the clear plastic bit. Is this the correct screw to undo? (The engine is the same as 8891 / 8892 / 8893) I did take a photo, but can't find a way to attach it.
I looked in my box of bits ( which I acquired with some engines I bought) and found a motor which seems to be from an 8896 engine. I don't know if this is the same worm gear- is it the same for all horizontally mounted motors? I wondered if I could try the worm gear from this, but I can't remove it. Is it possible to get them off without damaging them or do they require pliers and force?
I looked at the ZScalehobo website, but could only find a worm gear for a vertically mounted motor. Maybe if I could find out the part number, I would have more success finding one ( if the one I've found can't be used.) I don't think I'll find one in England, though!
Any answers to the above would be much appreciated.
Angie.
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2021 22:27:16(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. What number is that Rheingold? Is that the green loco? I would like to look that up, if it is the one I am thinking of,it certainly is a beauty.

I have a 8891 and here is a disassembly/assembly video for you, they may be similar.

Sorry no English translation but it does show this well.

Here is a parts diagram for the 88910 but oddly enough, that gear is not shown. Perhaps the diagram for your specific loco shows it.

https://static.maerklin....c3d0c6406b1434542608.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes

Dwight

Edited by user 26 March 2021 16:27:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2021 17:47:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: angiea Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I was running my Z gauge Rheingold train yesterday when the engine started to make horrible grinding noises and it struggled to move... ...Can anyone help me, please. I love Rheingold engine.

I can't offer any advice regarding how to repair the loco but I can commend Marklin's repair service to you.

I’ve used the repair service twice – one warranty repair and one chargeable one, and I have been impressed with the quality of the work done. The chargeable repair was on my 88942 0-10-0 loco, the plastic reduction gear of which had broken. From what I can tell from the service sheet, they replaced the entire engine block – which, admittedly, does seem over the top for a broken gear. The repair cost just over £70 including the return shipping. Quite a lot of money, I suppose, but I was glad to have the loco back to match fitness and was happy to pay that much for the repair. If I remember correctly, the loco was back with me within four weeks.

Of course, shipping stuff to Germany isn’t quite a simple now as it was then, but this should give you some idea of what to expect if you do go this route.

Hope this is of help

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline angiea  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2021 14:37:06(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello. What number is that Rheingold? Is that the green loco? I would like to look that up, if it is the one I am thinking of,it certainly is a beauty.

I have a 8891 and here is a disassembly/assembly video for you, they may be similar.

Sorry no English translation but it does show this well.

Here is a parts diagram for the 88910 but oddly enough, that gear is not shown. Perhaps the diagram for your specific loco shows it.

https://static.maerklin....c3d0c6406b1434542608.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes

Dwight

Hi,
I thought I had replied to this, but looking at the thread, I must have done something wrong, as it doesn't seem to be there.
Thank you for the video clip. It makes it very clear how to remove the gear. It's also evident that the one I've got won't fit. I will be brave and open my engine today to see what the condition of the gear appears to be.
The Rheingold engine isn't green. I've got a green one which is 8892 and the Rheingold is just the same, but black. Unlike 8891 and 8893, the Rheingold one has the gold bands, like 8892. I know these three engines are basically the same, as I've got a 1980 catalogue, which says they are just different eras.
The Rheingold engine doesn't have its own number, as it was only available as part of set 8133. I found this about it.
https://ztrainsweekly.co...-bavarian-s-3-6-pacific/
I'll let you know any progress with Rheingold.
Angie.

Offline angiea  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2021 17:56:02(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I was running my Z gauge Rheingold train yesterday when the engine started to make horrible grinding noises and it struggled to move... ...Can anyone help me, please. I love Rheingold engine.

I can't offer any advice regarding how to repair the loco but I can commend Marklin's repair service to you.

I’ve used the repair service twice – one warranty repair and one chargeable one, and I have been impressed with the quality of the work done. The chargeable repair was on my 88942 0-10-0 loco, the plastic reduction gear of which had broken. From what I can tell from the service sheet, they replaced the entire engine block – which, admittedly, does seem over the top for a broken gear. The repair cost just over £70 including the return shipping. Quite a lot of money, I suppose, but I was glad to have the loco back to match fitness and was happy to pay that much for the repair. If I remember correctly, the loco was back with me within four weeks.

Of course, shipping stuff to Germany isn’t quite a simple now as it was then, but this should give you some idea of what to expect if you do go this route.

Hope this is of help

Chris

Thanks for that suggestion. I think I now know what's wrong and which part I need. Marklin no longer stock the part, so I suspect that means they won't repair the engine. I will try contacting them if my search for the part isn't successful.
Angie.

Offline angiea  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2021 18:04:55(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Hi,
Just an update on my engine problem. I took it apart today, using the video to help. It was very easy to get it apart ( much more difficult to get it back together- I don't know how the man in the video managed it with such big fingers!)
When I got it what I more believe to be the gear assembly, the worm gear was covered in a fine silvery dust. I assume this was tiny fragments of metal. I used a tiny brush to clean it, in case the bits were causing the problem.
It seems I do need to replace the gear assembly. Unfortunately the part I need ( 26187) is no longer available from Marklin and I can't find anyone who still has the part in stock.
I'm considering looking for a second hand engine with the same inside parts as mine, so I can just swap the bodies. I suppose the problem with this is that I won't know how much it has been run and I may encounter the same problem.
Thank you to everyone for your help. I haven't solved the problem, but I've learned a lot about what goes on inside a Z scale engine.
Angie
Offline zscalehobo  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2021 18:29:51(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
I've heard that 226940 / e226940 might be the replacement part. Search "antriebswelle" ...

https://www.ersatzteile-...-mit-schnecke-br-50.html

Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline angiea  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2021 18:56:07(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
I've heard that 226940 / e226940 might be the replacement part. Search "antriebswelle" ...

https://www.ersatzteile-...-mit-schnecke-br-50.html

Thank you for this information. It certainly looks the same. Unfortunately, they do not post to the UK, but I've sent a message begging them to let me buy one ( and asking if it is definitely the same part.)
Angie.
Offline zscalehobo  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2021 21:56:51(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
It always pays off to have a few friends in Germany - he won't post to the USA either ... Sorry about it.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline angiea  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2021 21:59:22(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
It always pays off to have a few friends in Germany - he won't post to the USA either ... Sorry about it.

I do have a couple of friends in Germany, so if he won't send to me, I may be able to get it sent to them. I'd prefer not to have to ask them, but will if necessary.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Angie.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2021 22:17:28(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Thank you for this information. It certainly looks the same. Unfortunately, they do not post to the UK, but I've sent a message begging them to let me buy one ( and asking if it is definitely the same part.)
Angie.

lokmuseum.de have 226940 in stock and they have shipped stuff to the UK for me in the past, though that might have changed.

As for Marklin service, my experience is that they can repair things that spares are not available for – whether they keeps spares back for themselves or have other cunning means, I don’t know, but I’d be pretty confident they’ll be able to repair your loco.

All the best

Chris
Offline angiea  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2021 22:30:14(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Angie.

lokmuseum.de have 226940 in stock and they have shipped stuff to the UK for me in the past, though that might have changed.

As for Marklin service, my experience is that they can repair things that spares are not available for – whether they keeps spares back for themselves or have other cunning means, I don’t know, but I’d be pretty confident they’ll be able to repair your loco.

All the best

Chris

That's brilliant information, thank you.
I'll give the business I've contacted a few days, then try Lokmuseum and Marklin if they can't help.
Thanks very much.
Angie.

Offline angiea  
#16 Posted : 28 March 2021 22:55:36(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
I've just looked at Lokmuseum and found that 226940 is currently unavailable. Please could you tell me how you found it?
Thanks,
Angie.
Offline zscalehobo  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2021 18:53:19(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Sorry ... I found an email from Märklin from 2017... E261870 can be replaced with E261460. Sorry for not recalling that above.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline angiea  
#18 Posted : 29 March 2021 19:33:27(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Sorry ... I found an email from Märklin from 2017... E261870 can be replaced with E261460. Sorry for not recalling that above.

Hi, Thanks for that information. My original number was 26187, is that the same part as E261870?
I've found E261460 as possible available in England, but it says it's a drive rod for a snow plough. I don't know if they need the same rod.

Angie.

Offline zscalehobo  
#19 Posted : 29 March 2021 21:00:19(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Yes. A few things about the part numbering system.... 26187 is now 261870 ... When the main offerings went to 5 digits (locos etc - 8816 old rail bus - 88167 new railbus) the spares went from 5 digits to 6.

The E sometimes appears in front ... It's an abbreviation for the German word "ersatzteile" (spare parts in English) ... So be sure to search e261870 and also 261870 - smart retailers will use both numbers in their listings (ahem) ... 😇👍 otherwise your searches can be hindered by adding or removing the "E" depending on the retailer's mood when they developed their product pages. 🙂

I'm presently bringing in the two parts as i had ordered them back in 17 but i never received them ... Will follow up with a post showing dimensions for both e261460 / 261460 & e226940 / 226940).
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#20 Posted : 29 March 2021 23:15:38(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've just looked at Lokmuseum and found that 226940 is currently unavailable. Please could you tell me how you found it?
Thanks,
Angie.

I'm sorry - I saw it listed and assumed it was in stock. Sorry for raising your hopes.

All the best

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline angiea  
#21 Posted : 02 April 2021 23:05:43(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
Yes. A few things about the part numbering system.... 26187 is now 261870 ... When the main offerings went to 5 digits (locos etc - 8816 old rail bus - 88167 new railbus) the spares went from 5 digits to 6.

The E sometimes appears in front ... It's an abbreviation for the German word "ersatzteile" (spare parts in English) ... So be sure to search e261870 and also 261870 - smart retailers will use both numbers in their listings (ahem) ... 😇👍 otherwise your searches can be hindered by adding or removing the "E" depending on the retailer's mood when they developed their product pages. 🙂

I'm presently bringing in the two parts as i had ordered them back in 17 but i never received them ... Will follow up with a post showing dimensions for both e261460 / 261460 & e226940 / 226940).

Thank you for this information. I have managed to order the part from Italy. Hopefully, it will be fairly easy to fit and will solve the problem. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice to help me with my running issue.
Angie
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by angiea
Offline zscalehobo  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2021 04:38:30(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
I appreciate your bringing up this subject. Finally got the two in stock 261640 & 226940 and up on my spares site. They appear to be identical. Photo attached.
0403211601.jpg
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline angiea  
#23 Posted : 04 April 2021 09:14:05(UTC)
angiea

United Kingdom   
I appreciate your bringing up this subject. Finally got the two in stock 261640 & 226940 and up on my spares site. They appear to be identical. Photo attached.
0403211601.jpg

Sorry I didn't wait to get them from you, after all your help. I didn't think you'd get them so quickly. It's very expensive and slow to get items from America though. I got very cheap postage from Italy and it should hopefully arrive in less than a week.
Angie.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by angiea