Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trogbahnen  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2021 19:10:19(UTC)
Trogbahnen

United States   
I recently acquired a Märklin Z scale Bavarian S 3/6 locomotive (Märklin 8892), but I’m having some issues running it. The light comes on when it’s on the track, and it changes in brightness with the controller, but I can’t seem to get it to move. I looked at the motor area of the locomotive, and I saw that there were some metal pieces that weren’t connected, but I’m new to Märklin so I don’t know if they’re meant to be or not. I’ve attached photos of what I’m talking about1A1DA7BA-EAA8-4590-83F8-0ADEC688FAEE.jpeg98B2F4E8-77C9-4A32-B4E8-FD7556FFF6F4.jpeg74833364-2092-41C6-83CE-FE7742A3AB14.jpeg9BBFEC1B-3F92-4715-8612-5EE4349A8932.jpegD6139384-9236-45FB-8CB4-D0C63A1B7C4B.jpeg

Best,
Trogbahnen
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2021 20:33:34(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Trogbahnen Go to Quoted Post
I recently acquired a Märklin Z scale Bavarian S 3/6 locomotive (Märklin 8892), but I’m having some issues running it. The light comes on when it’s on the track, and it changes in brightness with the controller, but I can’t seem to get it to move. I looked at the motor area of the locomotive, and I saw that there were some metal pieces that weren’t connected, but I’m new to Märklin so I don’t know if they’re meant to be or not.
Trogbahnen

I'm not familiar with this locomotive, but there seem to be two problems - firstly that there are no motor brushes (I'm assuming that you didn't just remove them to make the photo clearer) and secondly that there is no contact onto the motor itself.

You can identify which brushes are needed from here : http://www.zscale.org/articles/fivepole.html#table

In many diesel locomotives there is a pair of fine wipers which contact onto the motor. That might be the case here, otherwise it's fairly obvious where the wiring from the chassis should connect to the motor - if you can bend things to make contact a couple of small blobs of solder should do the trick.

Hope this is helpful, all the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Online Carim  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2021 21:23:40(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
The metal pieces that you say aren't connected to anything are the parts that hold the brushes in place so that they touch the commutator. I attach the parts diagram that shows this (though not very well) - the brushes are part #7.

Carim Marklin 8892 parts sheet.pdf (69kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Trogbahnen  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2021 05:47:35(UTC)
Trogbahnen

United States   
So I got the locomotive to run, but it’s incredibly slow. Even at the maximum power from my controller, it’s really, really slow, unlike my other locomotives. Did I do something wrong or is their another issue just presenting itself now?
Online Carim  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2021 10:14:42(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
it’s really, really slow

Is it getting hot? That would indicate that the brushes are too tight on the commutator - if that is the case, flex the brushes a bit and that should ease the pressure.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2021 21:06:36(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
So I got the locomotive to run, but it’s incredibly slow. Even at the maximum power from my controller, it’s really, really slow, unlike my other locomotives. Did I do something wrong or is their another issue just presenting itself now?

Could the mechanism be gummed up with hardened oil? That is a known problem with older locomotives that have not been used for a while.

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline wildstix  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2021 16:03:21(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
I have the same one! Still hunting for a new motor here 😌
How is it going now? Is it working properly?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix