Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline auntmartha  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2021 11:13:44(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Recently i've seen that one dealer I know well - VEDES in Lübbecke NRW in Germany has been forced to close permanently.

Of course in most countries during corona-lock-down all non-food-retail shops are forced to close and rely on click&collect/mail type of bizness.

But this is the first shop that has closed permanently
:-(

Do you know of other shops already closed or having announced to close permanently ?

Interesting to know whether this is a trend and whether it will be yet another nail in the model railroad-coffin.
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2021 16:22:49(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have seen multiple reports that the CORONA lockdowns have been a major boon for model railway suppliers. Some countries reporting a doubling of turnover.
Of course that probably only applies if they adapted to click & collect or mail order.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2021 17:51:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The shop closes (they are still open for the clearance sale) after turnover declined sharply for years, mainly due to increasing competition first from wholesalers and then increasingly from Internet traders. The pandemic was the coffin nail. Link to German newspaper article:
https://www.westfalen-bl...schliesst-zum-Jahresende
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2021 20:07:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
The shop closes (they are still open for the clearance sale) after turnover declined sharply for years, mainly due to increasing competition first from wholesalers and then increasingly from Internet traders. The pandemic was the coffin nail. Link to German newspaper article:

Everything in that article tells me that they haven't kept up with technology and set up their own internet store front.

I look at shops like Modellbahn Kramm who have an active web presence and throughout the lockdown are providing "click and collect" as well as mail order sales, thereby keeping their business functioning. It seems that this shop hasn't done this, and hence has lost out.

I see the same happening with shops here in the UK who only have local customers being reported through the news as they are getting financially burdened with the increasing length of the local lockdown. Some report that they have managed to stay afloat but opening a web shop during the first lockdown.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 11:35:02(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
One dealer here in Belgium is permanently switching to being onlinedealer only: http://www.vanbiervliet.com/ They call it "version 2.0".

Wondering how well that will work out. Not sure what to think of it, whether this is the type of society (everything online) I want to live in.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2021 17:21:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what to think of it, whether this is the type of society (everything online) I want to live in.

Indeed, and the type of society many of us live in, is actually one of the primary reasons that we are still having to deal with Coronavirus.
If governments actually governed for the benefit of the people and not their own power and business interests, so many things would be better, and train shops would probably be blossoming.

We cannot separate our hobbies from society and hence governance. Until more people act for the good of society as a whole, we can expect, and deserve, to see our hobbies adversely affected.

Dale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline rmsailor  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2021 18:26:24(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Mirrors what has been happening here in the UK from long before the pandemic where a small number of dealers, mainly dealing on-line, have cornered the bulk of the market.

Bob M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2021 20:30:18(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Tis a shame . Years ago I used to "pop" into dealers all over the UK in my business travels ostensibly to purchase a turnout motor or a bit of track. Then an hour or more of my working day unexplained (but there were no mobile phones and things to worry about) I would press on with a new worry - that lok sized box and a cheque stub ( remember them?) with a value higher than a turnout motor to explain to management so further expenditure was laid out on flowers or something. The hobby depended on impulse buying and the last year the only remaining opportunity for that the Saturday afternoon model railway exhibition has also been on hold so the few remaing dealers lost out there too.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2021 02:26:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've closed down my Märklin dealer ship years ago due to lack of customers, must be at least 15 years ago

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline auntmartha  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2021 08:08:21(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Previsouly Märklin would not "allow" online-only shops, that were able to lower prices because they only had a relatively inexpensive place to store goods, compared to a storefront in city center.

I agree that impulse buying accounted for a lot but in the 5-10 euro segment. Thats why i.e. NOCH / PREISER and all the auto-model-makers have flourished. But you hardly visit a shop and end up buying a 300-400 euro locomotive, at least not all the time
:-)

I also agree that any prudent shop should have a web-presence and then we enter my pet-peeve. Should shops be display-cabinets where you can see and touch and then order online, freeing the shop of having a stock of the expensive and bulky things, and only having stock to sell in the shop of 5-10 euro things ??
And then again. I've never visited a train-shop that didnt also function as a water-cooler area for older people without a real life - to put it VERY bluntly. But the idea would free of the shop of investing in having everything in stock. Then the order should be sent to the customer directly OR to the shop that then worked as a GLS /MAIL package collection center.

PS - i've restrained myself from inputs regarding Corona

but stay heathly, and the only "political" things I will say is : do get your vaccine-shots ASAP, and yes if you do get a reaction like a fever it is only a sign that the vaccines are actually working, nothing to be scared about and def. better than getting the virus without the vaccine.

stay healthy
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2021 11:46:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Living I the UK if you want to buy Marklin then it’s on line from Germany whichI have found to be problem free although because of customs this may change shortly. Years ago I had Local Roco dealer with large stocks and spent many hours visiting and as able to buy some Marklin which they held or would order for me. Having a chat with a good retailer was good but with no decent HO distributors is no longer possible.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:08:24(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
In 1990 Märklin said I could become a dealer, after reviewing my plan to provide their products via mail order in South Africa.

My first order of products had to be DM20,000 or more.
Impossible.

Of course that was before 'on-line' sales but it was without a formal shop front.
Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Rwill  
#13 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:12:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I think in years to come Covid will be "blamed" for an awful lot of things which although part of the problem was not really the root of it. In the UK food chains were failing before last year due to lack of reaction to change in demand. Many shops and department stores will disappear for the same reason. Is it Corvid, recession, Brexit or the internet? When my kids were younger (say 25 years ago) Saturdays usually involved going into Croydon to the Whitgift shopping centre to buy clothes, uniforms, books records, toys ( there was even a toyshop which sold Marklin).We may go out of town to one of the new "shopping place" to look at Furniture, electrical goods and DIY and garden superstores. The trip was usually rounded off with a bit of grub - from McDonald's, Pizza Hut or something posher if we were feeling flush. Now the plans to Redevelop the Whitgift Centre have fallen by the wayside. All the major " brands" have left or gone broke and I am told the place is now just horrible but I haven't been for about four years. Instead there is a chalk board in the kitchen which will display messages like "listen out please, Dad expecting DPD about midday". I don't actually miss those Saturdays.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Bogenschütze  
#14 Posted : 23 February 2021 21:36:13(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
When my kids were younger (say 25 years ago) Saturdays usually involved going into Croydon to the Whitgift shopping centre to buy clothes, uniforms, books records, toys ( there was even a toyshop which sold Marklin).We may go out of town to one of the new "shopping place" to look at Furniture, electrical goods and DIY and garden superstores. The trip was usually rounded off with a bit of grub - from McDonald's, Pizza Hut or something posher if we were feeling flush. Now the plans to Redevelop the Whitgift Centre have fallen by the wayside. All the major " brands" have left or gone broke and I am told the place is now just horrible but I haven't been for about four years. Instead there is a chalk board in the kitchen which will display messages like "listen out please, Dad expecting DPD about midday". I don't actually miss those Saturdays.

This struck a chord with me as I lived most of my life a few miles from Croydon and the Saturday trip to the Whitgift Centre shops followed by a visit to Wimpey (in the 1960s) and later McDonalds was a part of my life for perhaps 40 years. As you say, all sadly in decline now.

The toyshop that sold Marklin, would that have been Beatties in North End or Hamleys in George Street. I retired to Chichester down in Sussex not too far from the Gaugemaster emporium. Very useful for bits and pieces but holds hardly any stock of Marklin.

Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline grnwtrs  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2021 03:25:21(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Tis a shame . Years ago I used to "pop" into dealers all over the UK in my business travels ostensibly to purchase a turnout motor or a bit of track. Then an hour or more of my working day unexplained (but there were no mobile phones and things to worry about) I would press on with a new worry - that lok sized box and a cheque stub ( remember them?) with a value higher than a turnout motor to explain to management so further expenditure was laid out on flowers or something. The hobby depended on impulse buying and the last year the only remaining opportunity for that the Saturday afternoon model railway exhibition has also been on hold so the few remaing dealers lost out there too.

I can't think how anyone could buy on "IMPULSE" /not!!!! Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL LOL LOL LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline grnwtrs  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2021 03:28:06(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I have seen multiple reports that the CORONA lockdowns have been a major boon for model railway suppliers. Some countries reporting a doubling of turnover.
Of course that probably only applies if they adapted to click & collect or mail order.

Yea, and they have the nerve to offer special incentives!!
Regards, geneLove
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline grnwtrs  
#17 Posted : 28 February 2021 03:32:16(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

By the way, can't you buy directly from Mother Maerklin?

Hows that about competing against your own dealerships., Just check the frt costs.
Those costs are very, very fair!
Regards, gene
Offline Alsterstreek  
#18 Posted : 28 February 2021 08:57:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Yes, the Märklin webshop caters for private customers, but the “one size fits all” intra-EU freight rate to Portugal is €20, whether I order a single spare part or an entire starter set. When I order via ye local brick ‘n mortar shoppe freight costs are: 0 € (in words: zero). And that is in order, because Märklin protects the dealer, and I can support the local dealer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 28 February 2021 13:16:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post

By the way, can't you buy directly from Mother Maerklin?

Hows that about competing against your own dealerships., Just check the frt costs.
Those costs are very, very fair!
Regards, gene

Err, yes you can order direct from Marklin - but the prices are always RRP, never discounted, and now it is impossible to order from the Marklin shop if you live in the UK as they don't want to go through the mish mash of documentation that the brexit deal has imposed.

Offline danmarklinman  
#20 Posted : 28 February 2021 19:36:45(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Piko have done the same, you can’t order anything from there sight!! I thought Brexit would cause issues, but that seems petty. They must have the same issues with Australia and the USA?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Rwill  
#21 Posted : 28 February 2021 20:32:39(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I think the Brexit thing is about attitude and level of demand.

There was an article in the paper a couple of days ago about a UK guy who trades in household luxury goods. HE buys in from across the EU, the rest of the world and manufactures in the UK. His major selling market has been UK and the EU He heavily researched possible Brexit effects, took advice from govt agencies and HMRC and in particular obtained an all important customs registration number and certificate. Other than two days when the carriers lost the plot because Macron didn't like our Covid so wouldn't let the trucks in his business has thrived and is going smoothly.

Now I don't think the owners of mother Marklin have much concern about the UK market. It is probably a tiny tiny percentage of their annual turnover and they probably cant even accurately measure it as most stuff going to the UK goes out via German dealers not Marklin. And the dealers have taken different positions on this business. Some have experience of this kind of business through Non EU sales (particularly Oz and NZ) and have reacted well to the change and appear to be saying we value your business Brits don't go and buy Hornby please. Others are just shrugging their shoulders and saying what will be will be so within a few months we shan't buy from them
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 01 March 2021 00:15:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Piko have done the same, you can’t order anything from there sight!! I thought Brexit would cause issues, but that seems petty. They must have the same issues with Australia and the USA?

I don't think the issues are the same. It seems the level of paper work required for a UK-EU shipment is much more complex than for other countries. The EU seems determined to punish the UK for leaving the EU, and the UK has retaliated in kind. The biggest problem in shipping to the EU is if any of the shipment content consists of stuff made outside the EU or UK. I don't know what will happen if UK Customs find a loco with a 'made in China' sticker if they were to inspect a parcel ... Scared Scared Scared

I have a Marklin loco and a couple of wagons due to be delivered tomorrow which have been shipped from the USA - ordered last weekend, shipped Wednesday, and in my hands the following Monday, (with taxes etc paid online) despite coming from snowy Texas!

I have just completed an eBay.de purchase (including the VAT that eBay has added) and will be looking to see how that transaction pans out in terms of delivery time. I presume with these transactions that eBay is providing the seller with electronic copies of the paper work to print out and complete to attach to the package - but the seller claimed he was prepared to ship to GB, so i went for it.

I will also be interested to see how much paper work is attached to my next Lokshop order ... Scared
Offline kimballthurlow  
#23 Posted : 01 March 2021 00:16:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My adult daughter lives in a small town in Germany, and the local Märklin dealer told her that if it had not been for his online sales, he would have closed down in this last year.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Bogenschütze  
#24 Posted : 01 March 2021 11:47:53(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Piko have done the same, you can’t order anything from their site!! I thought Brexit would cause issues, but that seems petty. They must have the same issues with Australia and the USA?

I don't think the issues are the same. It seems the level of paper work required for a UK-EU shipment is much more complex than for other countries. The EU seems determined to punish the UK for leaving the EU, and the UK has retaliated in kind.

I don't think it is the EU that has caused the problem. Now that the UK has left the Customs Union, the EU is simply applying their rules to the UK exactly the same as they do to any other third country. It's the British solution to the problem of collecting purchase tax and import duty on international on-line purchases that is turning suppliers off. The British government perceived they were increasingly loosing out on revenue as foreign sellers were quite legitimately deducting their own country's purchase tax (VAT, TVA, etc) and supplying goods at the gross price. Traditionally the importing country's customs agency have been responsible for collecting whatever taxes and duties apply in their country. Previously, when the UK was in the Customs Union, there was a reciprocal arrangement whereby the purchaser simply paid the supplier the net price with local purchase tax included (19% in Germany, temporarily reduced to 16% as part of their Covid recovery plan).

After Brexit, the UK needed a method to collect all this extra revenue and they unilaterally came up with the astonishingly solution of insisting that all international sellers open an account with HMRC (Her Majesty's Customs and Revenue service) and for sales under EUR 150, they collect the 20% UK purchase tax and any other import tariffs due on their behalf. Naturally many dealers feel aggrieved at this imposition and at the moment are choosing not to sell directly to UK customers on-line.

Hopefully they will decide that the loss in business is too much to withstand and will find a way to comply. "Nature will find a way!"
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline David Dewar  
#25 Posted : 01 March 2021 16:11:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My latest order from MSL took three days to reach the Uk and go through customs. It is now with Parcelforce inGlasgow for the past four days when I have to wait for a letter to tell me how much to pay. No idea when this will come or how long it will then take to be delivered. Not surprising it will be the UK that will hold things up and charge for the privilege. Now no when I voted against Brexit.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline IanC  
#26 Posted : 01 March 2021 17:30:40(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Mine's with Parcelforce at Milton Keynes and has been there for a fortnight so far. No letter from HM Customs yet.

IanC
Offline rmsailor  
#27 Posted : 01 March 2021 18:23:32(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

I guess I was lucky today. I took a chance on two separate wagons I saw on E-bay that I wanted and were listed in Germany. Both parcels arrived today with no demands for customs or VAT and within a week of ordering. This is despite one being from a shop, though I did not realise at the time and had a full customs form on the outside.

Bob M.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#28 Posted : 01 March 2021 18:27:23(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
My parcels come through Gatwick mainly and so far no delays or customs requirements. Indeed I had a parcel delivered last week which according today to DHL and Parcelforce hasn’t arrived in the UK. If this continues I am half thinking that I should claim for non delivery of the parcel, that would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

On a more serious note there is a phone number to call if you haven’t received your letter,
I don't have the customs charge letter from Parcelforce Worldwide

If you have can't find your customs charge letter, or didn't receive it, please call our Customer Service team on 0344 800 4466 (calls charged at local rate).

I also saw that in addition to the £12.0 handling fee up to €900, Parcelforce can charge storage fees.

Think I might go and stick my head in my layout and forget the outside world for a bit
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 01 March 2021 21:33:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post

I guess I was lucky today. I took a chance on two separate wagons I saw on E-bay that I wanted and were listed in Germany. Both parcels arrived today with no demands for customs or VAT and within a week of ordering. This is despite one being from a shop, though I did not realise at the time and had a full customs form on the outside.

Bob M.

But you will find that eBay have charged you 22% VAT & handling charge on your invoice. This is why it has come straight through the postal system.
Offline David Dewar  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:53:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I wonder how many countries do not haver a distributor who holds all or large Marklin stocks. IF Marklin want to bring in new kids or adults to their system than surely they would benefit by having distributors outside Germany. Could be wrong but USA appear to have some decent dealers. Problem could be the initial cost of setting up and stocking but even in the UK there are plenty of dealers who would sell Marklin and hold small stocks knowing they could get something they have not got in stock from a distributor in a few days. In the years to come there may be nobody left in the UK using their products just because their is no distributor who actually holds stocks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#31 Posted : 02 March 2021 00:56:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
In Russia for example, they musy pay a duty on any item over 200 euros, else customs and or tax agency may take interest. I know a young collector/modeler who told me. He bought a 1960's Rheingold set from Georgia before the new year. He works at a rail museum in St. Petersberg.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 02 March 2021 02:07:24(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Could be wrong but USA appear to have some decent dealers.

Yes David, we do have some excellent dealers who have successfully moved online. But their official connection to Märklin is through a third party and parts and service are glacially slow. The best ones do keep
a good level of stock and sometimes they ship product directly from German, which provides a better selection. Here in my part of the world the days of brick and mortar Märklin dealers ended 20 years ago and not just last year.

Märklin does finally have a NA parts supply depot and that might help, but not yet. For now it is still business as usual - order a part and then wait 6-9 months to get it. You plan your upgrades and repairs well in advance.

And they wonder why we turn to ebay - where at least we can get the parts, if for inflated prices.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline grnwtrs  
#33 Posted : 02 March 2021 02:42:50(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Yes, the Märklin webshop caters for private customers, but the “one size fits all” intra-EU freight rate to Portugal is €20, whether I order a single spare part or an entire starter set. When I order via ye local brick ‘n mortar shoppe freight costs are: 0 € (in words: zero). And that is in order, because Märklin protects the dealer, and I can support the local dealer.

MSL chgs frt @ Euro of 27.50. I try to buy @ a bit north of that price. Actually I try to keep frt
@ .02 roughly 2%. Sometimes I tend to make up a buy list, including spares, etc. BigGrin

That is from a U S A buyer. And I am stickin to it. BigGrin Regards, gene

Offline IanC  
#34 Posted : 02 March 2021 16:45:14(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Got my letter from Parcelforce today, it says it's a reminder but haven't received any previous post from them. Paid on line and expect delivery tomorrow. Looks like I have had to pay German MSTW and UK import VAT and a £12 handling charge.

Hope it's worth it!

IanC
Offline David Dewar  
#35 Posted : 02 March 2021 17:04:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Got letter today which is four days after arriving at the Hub but there was weekend and I expect they dont work then, Will be delivered tomorrow they say.
Paid 20% VAT plus £12 for the privilige of paying it. I have two more parcels coming so might consider adding Parcelforce shares to my portfolio.
To be fair I hear of folk waiting weeks or even a month or more in other countries so cant complain but better for us Marklin folk if we had stated in the EU.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#36 Posted : 02 March 2021 23:47:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
They said that trade would have continued as before, no tariffs. This seems to me not in line with the signed agreement. But I may be wrong.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#37 Posted : 02 March 2021 23:51:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
They said that trade would have continued as before, no tariffs. This seems to me not in line with the signed agreement. But I may be wrong.

VAT is not a customs tariff, so yes, trade is continuing as before without tariffs.
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 03 March 2021 08:46:24(UTC)
H0

In the last 20+ years, every year more old MRR dealers closed than new MRR dealers opened. And old MRR dealers at retiring age often have difficulties with finding a successor.
Dealers that made little or no sales through the Internet will now have a hard time. "Click and collect" is an option that may generate some revenue, but those dealers that already used the Internet intensively are a few steps ahead.

If there only were small profits before Corona, then there most likely will now be deficits due to the lockdowns.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjbartels  
#39 Posted : 05 March 2021 05:01:29(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how many countries do not haver a distributor who holds all or large Marklin stocks. IF Marklin want to bring in new kids or adults to their system than surely they would benefit by having distributors outside Germany. Could be wrong but USA appear to have some decent dealers. Problem could be the initial cost of setting up and stocking but even in the UK there are plenty of dealers who would sell Marklin and hold small stocks knowing they could get something they have not got in stock from a distributor in a few days. In the years to come there may be nobody left in the UK using their products just because their is no distributor who actually holds stocks.

The US has a couple of good dealers, yes, and several in Canada as well. Distribution was through Walthers, but that had pretty much ended and taken back by Märklinin Missouri (thank goodness). I have two preferred dealers (one US and one Canada) and they've always been great.

Piko have had their own distribution in the US via their office in San Diego (on a side note) and they've always been good as well.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline marklinist5999  
#40 Posted : 05 March 2021 05:49:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
True, I think Marklin became popular firstly in America from WW2 service men stationed in Germany.
They bought trains home from there through to he 1960s and beyond. the US ho scale market was then mainly Penn Line, Athearn, Atlas, and Tyco. Lionel, American Flyer, and Marx for O. I'm not sure when the New Berlin Wisconsin office opened, but it closed by 2007. Walthers was nearby, and was an obvious distributor. When I discovered Marklin in 1990, Jeff Stimson was the sales rep. Fred Gates the US hdqtrs President. My uncle in Ann Arbor had a dc 2 rail layout, and then I recalled him buying a European locomotive while on business in Germany. I asked him to remove it from the display case and run it. He explained that he couldn't, for it was Marklin AC 3 rail. I don't think he ever had a Marklin layout. So, in countries today without a distributor, the web, and YouTube are the publicity source besides word of mouth. Then a search for items results in dealers from abroad.
The Marklin sponsored shops were a nice concept in the early millennium. None were in the USA. Shops today must carry multiple brands. To survive with a brick and mortar store must also diversify with a necessary essential goods business. Clothing for example. I knew of one shop that sold only trains. It's neighbor only doll houses. Then came the internet. Another was a former tv repair shop before all sets became solid state disposable items.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999