Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline auntmartha  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2021 11:13:44(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Recently i've seen that one dealer I know well - VEDES in Lübbecke NRW in Germany has been forced to close permanently.

Of course in most countries during corona-lock-down all non-food-retail shops are forced to close and rely on click&collect/mail type of bizness.

But this is the first shop that has closed permanently
:-(

Do you know of other shops already closed or having announced to close permanently ?

Interesting to know whether this is a trend and whether it will be yet another nail in the model railroad-coffin.
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2021 16:22:49(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have seen multiple reports that the CORONA lockdowns have been a major boon for model railway suppliers. Some countries reporting a doubling of turnover.
Of course that probably only applies if they adapted to click & collect or mail order.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2021 17:51:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Portugal   
The shop closes (they are still open for the clearance sale) after turnover declined sharply for years, mainly due to increasing competition first from wholesalers and then increasingly from Internet traders. The pandemic was the coffin nail. Link to German newspaper article:
https://www.westfalen-bl...schliesst-zum-Jahresende
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2021 20:07:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
The shop closes (they are still open for the clearance sale) after turnover declined sharply for years, mainly due to increasing competition first from wholesalers and then increasingly from Internet traders. The pandemic was the coffin nail. Link to German newspaper article:
https://www.westfalen-bl...schliesst-zum-Jahresende

Everything in that article tells me that they haven't kept up with technology and set up their own internet store front.

I look at shops like Modellbahn Kramm who have an active web presence and throughout the lockdown are providing "click and collect" as well as mail order sales, thereby keeping their business functioning. It seems that this shop hasn't done this, and hence has lost out.

I see the same happening with shops here in the UK who only have local customers being reported through the news as they are getting financially burdened with the increasing length of the local lockdown. Some report that they have managed to stay afloat but opening a web shop during the first lockdown.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 11:35:02(UTC)
DasBert33

One dealer here in Belgium is permanently switching to being onlinedealer only: http://www.vanbiervliet.com/ They call it "version 2.0".

Wondering how well that will work out. Not sure what to think of it, whether this is the type of society (everything online) I want to live in.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2021 17:21:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what to think of it, whether this is the type of society (everything online) I want to live in.

Indeed, and the type of society many of us live in, is actually one of the primary reasons that we are still having to deal with Coronavirus.
If governments actually governed for the benefit of the people and not their own power and business interests, so many things would be better, and train shops would probably be blossoming.

We cannot separate our hobbies from society and hence governance. Until more people act for the good of society as a whole, we can expect, and deserve, to see our hobbies adversely affected.

Dale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline rmsailor  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2021 18:26:24(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Mirrors what has been happening here in the UK from long before the pandemic where a small number of dealers, mainly dealing on-line, have cornered the bulk of the market.

Bob M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2021 20:30:18(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Tis a shame . Years ago I used to "pop" into dealers all over the UK in my business travels ostensibly to purchase a turnout motor or a bit of track. Then an hour or more of my working day unexplained (but there were no mobile phones and things to worry about) I would press on with a new worry - that lok sized box and a cheque stub ( remember them?) with a value higher than a turnout motor to explain to management so further expenditure was laid out on flowers or something. The hobby depended on impulse buying and the last year the only remaining opportunity for that the Saturday afternoon model railway exhibition has also been on hold so the few remaing dealers lost out there too.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2021 02:26:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've closed down my Märklin dealer ship years ago due to lack of customers, must be at least 15 years ago

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline auntmartha  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2021 08:08:21(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Previsouly Märklin would not "allow" online-only shops, that were able to lower prices because they only had a relatively inexpensive place to store goods, compared to a storefront in city center.

I agree that impulse buying accounted for a lot but in the 5-10 euro segment. Thats why i.e. NOCH / PREISER and all the auto-model-makers have flourished. But you hardly visit a shop and end up buying a 300-400 euro locomotive, at least not all the time
:-)

I also agree that any prudent shop should have a web-presence and then we enter my pet-peeve. Should shops be display-cabinets where you can see and touch and then order online, freeing the shop of having a stock of the expensive and bulky things, and only having stock to sell in the shop of 5-10 euro things ??
And then again. I've never visited a train-shop that didnt also function as a water-cooler area for older people without a real life - to put it VERY bluntly. But the idea would free of the shop of investing in having everything in stock. Then the order should be sent to the customer directly OR to the shop that then worked as a GLS /MAIL package collection center.

PS - i've restrained myself from inputs regarding Corona

but stay heathly, and the only "political" things I will say is : do get your vaccine-shots ASAP, and yes if you do get a reaction like a fever it is only a sign that the vaccines are actually working, nothing to be scared about and def. better than getting the virus without the vaccine.

stay healthy
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2021 11:46:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Living I the UK if you want to buy Marklin then it’s on line from Germany whichI have found to be problem free although because of customs this may change shortly. Years ago I had Local Roco dealer with large stocks and spent many hours visiting and as able to buy some Marklin which they held or would order for me. Having a chat with a good retailer was good but with no decent HO distributors is no longer possible.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:08:24(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
In 1990 Märklin said I could become a dealer, after reviewing my plan to provide their products via mail order in South Africa.

My first order of products had to be DM20,000 or more.
Impossible.

Of course that was before 'on-line' sales but it was without a formal shop front.
Dale
Offline Rwill  
#13 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:12:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I think in years to come Covid will be "blamed" for an awful lot of things which although part of the problem was not really the root of it. In the UK food chains were failing before last year due to lack of reaction to change in demand. Many shops and department stores will disappear for the same reason. Is it Corvid, recession, Brexit or the internet? When my kids were younger (say 25 years ago) Saturdays usually involved going into Croydon to the Whitgift shopping centre to buy clothes, uniforms, books records, toys ( there was even a toyshop which sold Marklin).We may go out of town to one of the new "shopping place" to look at Furniture, electrical goods and DIY and garden superstores. The trip was usually rounded off with a bit of grub - from McDonald's, Pizza Hut or something posher if we were feeling flush. Now the plans to Redevelop the Whitgift Centre have fallen by the wayside. All the major " brands" have left or gone broke and I am told the place is now just horrible but I haven't been for about four years. Instead there is a chalk board in the kitchen which will display messages like "listen out please, Dad expecting DPD about midday". I don't actually miss those Saturdays.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Bogenschütze  
#14 Posted : 23 February 2021 21:36:13(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
When my kids were younger (say 25 years ago) Saturdays usually involved going into Croydon to the Whitgift shopping centre to buy clothes, uniforms, books records, toys ( there was even a toyshop which sold Marklin).We may go out of town to one of the new "shopping place" to look at Furniture, electrical goods and DIY and garden superstores. The trip was usually rounded off with a bit of grub - from McDonald's, Pizza Hut or something posher if we were feeling flush. Now the plans to Redevelop the Whitgift Centre have fallen by the wayside. All the major " brands" have left or gone broke and I am told the place is now just horrible but I haven't been for about four years. Instead there is a chalk board in the kitchen which will display messages like "listen out please, Dad expecting DPD about midday". I don't actually miss those Saturdays.

This struck a chord with me as I lived most of my life a few miles from Croydon and the Saturday trip to the Whitgift Centre shops followed by a visit to Wimpey (in the 1960s) and later McDonalds was a part of my life for perhaps 40 years. As you say, all sadly in decline now.

The toyshop that sold Marklin, would that have been Beatties in North End or Hamleys in George Street. I retired to Chichester down in Sussex not too far from the Gaugemaster emporium. Very useful for bits and pieces but holds hardly any stock of Marklin.

"The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline Agneaux  
#15 Posted : 27 February 2021 23:48:42(UTC)
Agneaux

Australia   
Covid 19 is probably just finishing off ageing and ailing businesses that were struggling anyway. Regardless of the product.
It's also likely that the pandemic has forced businesses who were dragging their heels, to finally get up and get online.

The world turns and serious change is upon us.

FWIW, Australian members would have no MMR without online purchasing. Even 'local' retailers are usually hundreds of kilometres away.
The luxury of browsing a selection comes around once or twice a year with the train show circuit. Assuming that it hasn't been canceled...