Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2021 16:33:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thinking of buying the Swiss Loco Roco 79404. Not of course mfx but my only concern is running on Marklin C track through turnouts etc.
Maybe Mike our Swiss expert or somebody has the model.
Thanks for any views on this.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2021 16:59:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If by 79404, you are referring to the Re 4/4III 11364, I do have that model. Unfortunately, it is not a true and true 79404, because the chassis actually comes from a surplus 79254 that I had in my collection.

I have all of the Roco Re 4/4II other than the "Cham" and "Porrentruy" models. I skipped the Porrentruy model because I already had that lok from Maerklin. At the time, I passed on the Cham because I felt that I had sufficient Re 4/4II assigned to SBB Cargo and was more looking for locomotives from the Passenger division. (I miss the pre-2000 period when any SBB lok could be used for freight and/or passenger trains.)

Back to your question, I have not operated my trains on setups with that many switch tracks. The Roco locomotives have not been problematic on the few occasions where I did use them with switch tracks.

What I did notice about the latest one (71403/4, 79404) was that my model (71403) had "Made in Vietnam" on the box. All of my other ones had "Made in EU" on the box.
There was a delay in the release of the DC versions, apparently to rectify an issue. I did notice that the LED panel had modifications compared to my other models. The shell of the 11364 fits perfectly on the other chassis.

One thing I can tell you is that if you like sound, you will be very happy with Roco's work. The only downside is an internal Zimo issues where settings beyond F8 are not retained when powered down. For example, F15 sets the Swiss taillight from red to white, but if you press 'stop', the next time you press 'go' it reverts to red and you will have to switch it back to white.

Here is a video of my 11161 pulling the NJ 'Wiener Walzer": https://www.facebook.com...malink/4074160862594911/

Incidentally, I seem to recall that we had already addressed this question in a previous post: https://www.marklin-user...Roco-79404--Swiss-RE-430

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2021 18:10:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks Mike. Due to old age lol I forgot I had already asked about this. I will probably order the loco as you indicate that when you do run through turnouts the locos run OK.
I have the Marklin 43574 coaches on order so was looking for a suitable loco which MSL have in stock. As items are going through customs here with little bother until end March I am only interested in stock items for immediate delivery. MSL does have another Swiss loco in stock (sorry dont have number to hand) but it is ERA 3. AS you will see I am not really knowledgeable regarding Swiss outline but just like to have some items on my layout.

all best

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2021 18:34:17(UTC)
Copenhagen

Roco locos (!) and other rolling stock usually run very well on Märklin tracks in my experience. I only had a problem with a large steamer that would tend to derail going through some of the turnouts. The problems was caused by incorrect wheel spacing between two wheels on the front driving axle. I was able to decrease the distance myself so that the problem disappeared.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2021 00:20:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For the 43574, the appropriate loco would be the Maerklin 37304 "LION" The normal consist would be one of these red locos at each end with 6 double deck coaches in the middle.
The 79404 is a Re 4/4III and more suitable for a freight consist, as the locos are currently assigned to the Cargo division. They did haul local and regional passenger trains prior to 2000.

According to the Lippe website, it says deliverable from the factory within 5 days.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2021 12:16:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Mike. The 37304 is now discontinued by Marklin although MSL is showing available to order. At some point this type of Loco will again become available I am sure and meanwhile I will go for the Roco model as it will be interesting to see how they run and if suitable will be a useful alternative to Marklin in the future.

In time when I have both types I can then run the correct coaches/wagons.
Your knowledge of Swiss items is most useful.

Best wishes

David

Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2021 13:29:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Mike. MSL sourced a Marklin 37304 RE 4/4 so I now have that plus the 43574 Car set. Will order the 43575 Cab to go with this. Expected today is the Marklin 39422 RE 4/.41 but MSL does not appear to have coaches in stock for this model but will wait to see what comes in the future. I dont buy from Ebay.
Must be careful in case I end up with a Swiss layout. lol.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:44:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There is a thread dedicated to the 39422 Blue Re 4/4, including a link to a photo of the actual loco.

https://www.marklin-user...-Re-4-4I-and-TEN-coaches

The appropriate coaches would be the 43362/72/82/92/43402 and/or the 42165 set or even the 43360/70/80/90/43400 coaches.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c