Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rickmann  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2021 15:49:13(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts

I've got my hands in a used BR216 in good condition (Marklin 8875). The engine is Kaput, but besides that everything is in good condition.

I have read in several places that there exists some doubts in the correct replacement motor (5P). Some sites say it is the 211901 (scale.org for example) but others mention the 211903 (http://www.armadillo.ch/Zscale/ZMot_e.htm).

This is not helpful at all.

Anyone can shed a light on this matter.

Thank you a lot

Ricardo

P.S. - I bet that Dwight will be the first to answer this question!!!!!!
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2021 16:41:57(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well.

Check out this link:

https://www.marklin-user...ght-in-marklin-8874-8875

I would assume yours is the older model. "The heavy weight"

If that is the case, order the 901. If it is a new one, order the 903. The video in this link shows the older model.

I only have this model in the older version and have not seen it with the 903 motor to know what the difference might be. I believe the frame was changed and is more like the current frame of the BR 110,111 etc.

Best wishes on your new project. Just tell me, how do you have the luck to find these gems? That model with the older frame, can really pull alot of wagons, you will see!

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Rickmann  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2021 17:28:34(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope you are well.

Check out this link:

https://www.marklin-user...ght-in-marklin-8874-8875

I would assume yours is the older model. "The heavy weight"

If that is the case, order the 901. If it is a new one, order the 903. The video in this link shows the older model.

I only have this model in the older version and have not seen it with the 903 motor to know what the difference might be. I believe the frame was changed and is more like the current frame of the BR 110,111 etc.

Best wishes on your new project. Just tell me, how do you have the luck to find these gems? That model with the older frame, can really pull alot of wagons, you will see!

Dwight

Hello Dwight

I knew you would be the first one!!!!!

Things here are returning to normal, I already took the second COVID shot, so I would assume that I have immunity. Thats fortunate, since everyday I have to go to the COVID wards. I never thought I would reach this moment without being infected. So far so good.

By the way have you already been vaccinated?

In what concerns the purchase of these jewels I have Ebay warning me every time a defective locomotive is placed on sale. Sometimes I have luck, sometimes I don't. I recently bought a BR050 (Marklin 8884) for 15€ (plus postage). It is a bargain. It has all the parts there and I was considering selling it on Ebay. Do you have such a beauty?

As far as I can tell the diference between the 901 and the 903 is just the existence of a capacitor:

901 and 903.jpg

But that can be easily removed. I believe that the shape of the motor is the same.

Can you please confirm that.

Best Regards and stay safe

Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2021 18:42:30(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. All is well here.

There is a big backlog on shots here, I have to wait, but I am certain it will be soon.

I will have to do that on EBay, it’s a good feature.

If there is no size difference you can note,I would not cut off the capacitor to make it fit,but I guess you have that ability. I can tell you one thing about a 903, they seem to be used in many of the different diesel or electric locomotives, perhaps this is the most commonly used of all of them. I think the two pins where the capacitor is attached hold the brushes. I think the brushes are held on at a different place on the older motors.

If you don’t think this is an outrageous suggestion, if available just purchase the two motors. See which will work without modifications in your 216. Hold onto the other one or install it in a locomotive like one listed below (you likely have a candidate in mind for this upgrade, or will find one sooner than later)

https://www.zscale.de/Ls5pMot.htm

(A different way to look at 5 pole motor listings)

The five pole motors supply will eventually dry up and it seems it would be handy to have a few of the most common ones on hand before the price goes up to the clouds. It may be awhile until there is a clear path to the bell armature updates in the older models.

Be careful ThumpUp

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2021 21:57:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
In case it is of any interest or help to anyone, I have had success in replacing the motor from an 8874 (which I think is what Dwight refers to as the "heavyweight" version) with a more recent E211903 5 pole motor. A little machining of the chassis is needed, but other than that it's quite a straightforward process. Well, by Z scale maintenance standards, anyway!

All the best

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Rickmann  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2021 00:37:48(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
In case it is of any interest or help to anyone, I have had success in replacing the motor from an 8874 (which I think is what Dwight refers to as the "heavyweight" version) with a more recent E211903 5 pole motor. A little machining of the chassis is needed, but other than that it's quite a straightforward process. Well, by Z scale maintenance standards, anyway!

All the best

Chris

Hello Chris

Those are great news. I will try it. Did you took photos of your work? They could be a precious help for rookies like me.

Best regards and stay safe.

Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2021 03:27:27(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Maybe this helps?

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Rickmann  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2021 17:23:03(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hi. Maybe this helps?

Best wishes

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, once again you provide a precious help to those in need.

I honestly think that it will not need such a modification. If you make this change, you will have an irreversible modification on the locomotive structure. This means, there is no turning back.

See the picture below. With a small gear puller, if you remove the cog (marked with number 1) from the old motor, you are able to remove the magnetic cover (marked with number 2).

If you do that in the new motor you can switch the covers and make the 903 a 901. This way you don't have to change anything in the circuit board or the metal frame.

What do you think??? Yes it's true, I am crazy!!!!BigGrin BigGrin

Best Regards and stay safe.

Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2021 20:12:56(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Well, that is an idea which might work too. Do you think the magnetic cage off of a three pole would transfer onto a 903.

Let us know how it comes out.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2021 22:04:02(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rickmann Go to Quoted Post

Those are great news. I will try it. Did you took photos of your work? They could be a precious help for rookies like me.

Best regards and stay safe.

Ricardo

I have this photo that shows the modified chassis block. (The hatched area shows another area that should be machined back for the motor to fit comfortably.)

Modified 8874 chassis block

Once this is done the motor will drop straight in. There is not room for the capacitor that comes fitted to the motor so I just cut this off and soldered a pair of jumper wires to make contact onto the circuit board.

Hope this helps

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Jags  
#11 Posted : 02 August 2022 04:17:18(UTC)
Jags

United States   
I just posted this in the other motor replacement thread but felt that it would be appropriate to repost it here again. Here is some clear and definitive information regarding motors and brushes for the Marklin 8874 and 8875 BR 216 Locomotives. I've been needing to replace a motor in one of my 8875 Locos and the information I was finding was quite confusing. It seems that the confusion is arising because there were three different motor versions used in the 8874 and 8875 Locos over the years.

The first original version had a 3-pole motor with no capacitor attached. The capacitor is soldered to the circuit board. There was a direct 5-pole replacement motor offered for a short time, but this motor is no longer available.

The second version had an internal change to a 3-pole motor that had the capacitor directly attached to it. It has a different circuit board and most importantly the chassis is different than the original version. This motor will not fit the original version unless you do some major modifications.

The Third version is basically the same as the second version, but it came with a 5-pole motor already installed. This motor will fit in the second version but not the original version.

Here is the breakdown with all the motor and brushes part numbers provided:

8874 & 8875
BR 216

Original Version
3-pole motor (no cap.) #261920
Brushes #8988 - Discontinued (substitute - #89881)
5-pole motor replacement (no cap.) #211901 - Discontinued

Second Version
3-pole motor (with cap.) #264440
Brushes #8989 - Discontinued (substitute - #89891)
5-pole motor replacement (with cap.) #211903

Third Version
5-pole motor (with cap.) #211903
Brushes #89891

I hope this information will be useful to others out there.

Thanks!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jags