Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rickmann  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2021 18:18:37(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts

One thing I have always liked are maintenance trains. After searching, I found that there isn't much alternatives available.

So after some extra search I found this on Ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

However it is not powered.

So a after searching a little more I found this on Shapeways:

710x528_33890049_757236_1611700801.jpg.png

That can be converted and used as a mobile workshop.

And this one can have a Rokuhan Shorty Powered unit inside.

Hope it doesn't derail, since the traction power will be in the second car. Fingers crossed.

So the order as been placed and I am waiting for the shorty. The rest as already arrived.

While it doesn't arrive I would like to ask you all, if by any chance you have photos of the interior of the draisine. I imagine it will be a very spartan interior with black seats.

What I don't know is the interior color, as well as the color of the console.

Does anyone can help?

Best Regards and Stay safe

Ricardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2021 06:45:00(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. That is always my problem, painting the Shapeway railcars or locomotives. Also the painting may highlight some of the grain in the print medium. Or does it cover it up? I am not sure. I tend to stay away from Shapeway shells because of this. Not that the shell is the problem, they look excellent. I just don’t know if I could get one to look correct with enough details. I have seen sites which sell decals, but you have to ask for them in z scale.

Is that a photo of a z scale work car and your intention is to add the Shapeway shell to it as a motorized unit?

It is hard to suggest a color scheme for this. I have seen some weathering sites which may have some kind of guide, you could check. Perhaps there are some photos which might be useful.

http://becasse-weatherin...08:00&max-results=16

On older type wagons most original photos may be black and white and it is difficult to guess actual colors. Work wagons are seldom in the limelight like other wagons. It may be hard to find useful images.

Hope you figure it, you likely will.

Take good care

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Rickmann  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2021 18:38:19(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hi. That is always my problem, painting the Shapeway railcars or locomotives. Also the painting may highlight some of the grain in the print medium. Or does it cover it up? I am not sure. I tend to stay away from Shapeway shells because of this. Not that the shell is the problem, they look excellent. I just don’t know if I could get one to look correct with enough details. I have seen sites which sell decals, but you have to ask for them in z scale.

Is that a photo of a z scale work car and your intention is to add the Shapeway shell to it as a motorized unit?

It is hard to suggest a color scheme for this. I have seen some weathering sites which may have some kind of guide, you could check. Perhaps there are some photos which might be useful.

http://becasse-weatherin...08:00&max-results=16

On older type wagons most original photos may be black and white and it is difficult to guess actual colors. Work wagons are seldom in the limelight like other wagons. It may be hard to find useful images.

Hope you figure it, you likely will.

Take good care

Dwight

Hello Dwight

Since the Crane car hasn't space to be motorized, my idea will be to power the work car. This means I'll have to put the work car (the power unit) right behind the leading car (the draisine).

I know that the second car should be the flat car where the spare parts are transported, but I am afraid that having the power unit in the third position will be an invitation to frequent derailments.

I'll have to dig more deeply to find photos of the internal layout of the draisine cab and some color references.

I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards and stay safe
Ricardo

Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2021 20:17:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. There is not much added on the weathering link I gave you.

On the Marklin z work trains, the passenger type wagons are usually in a blue shade. I have a work train set with the older three axle passenger wagon in blue, as is the two axle included in that set. It is possible, in that ERA blue was the color to indicate work wagons.

I was thinking about your work trains and was wondering if you found the Shapeways work racks which are designed to be added to the regular low side flat wagon (8610). I have one which is depicting the wagon used for overhead line maintenance. I believe there were several different ones. I used spray paint in yellow and it looks fairly good.

Check it out

71EE5A3A-C811-478B-B924-08A40A7BEC51.jpeg

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Rickmann  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2021 01:15:41(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hi. There is not much added on the weathering link I gave you.

On the Marklin z work trains, the passenger type wagons are usually in a blue shade. I have a work train set with the older three axle passenger wagon in blue, as is the two axle included in that set. It is possible, in that ERA blue was the color to indicate work wagons.

I was thinking about your work trains and was wondering if you found the Shapeways work racks which are designed to be added to the regular low side flat wagon (8610). I have one which is depicting the wagon used for overhead line maintenance. I believe there were several different ones. I used spray paint in yellow and it looks fairly good.

Check it out

71EE5A3A-C811-478B-B924-08A40A7BEC51.jpeg

Best wishes

Dwight

Hello Again Dwight

It looks great, I'll search for it.

I use with great results Citadel Nuln Oil to do washes that represent dirt, shades, etc. You just have to use it as paint, all over your painted the model. Do it with a normal paint brush and remove the excess with the same brush (after a bit of drying). It will flow to the edges of the panels, holes, fissures, etc. The effect is very good after you master it.

You should practice a little bit first, otherwise will leave the model just to dirty. Another tip is just to paint the base color in a lighter shade, because the Nuln Oil will darken it a little bit.

41bboWMHxnL._AC_SY355_.jpg

You can find this product in any modeling or wargaming store.

Give it a go.

Best Regards and stay safe
Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2021 03:41:12(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Thanks. Will check it out.

I photographed this on a piece of plastic which caused that shinny appearance. I got some Velajo acrylic paints and they have a similar product.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Rickmann  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2021 17:31:14(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Thanks. Will check it out.

I photographed this on a piece of plastic which caused that shinny appearance. I got some Velajo acrylic paints and they have a similar product.

Take good care.

Dwight

Hello fellow enthusiasts

I final found some pictures of a possible internal layout and colors used inside a draisine.

du-65-control-panel.jpgdraisine-DU-65-control-panel.jpg

Of particular interest is the driving post (facing sideways). It makes some sense, since it allows driving in both directions (and maybe using the crane).

Best Regards and stay safe everybody.
Ricardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann