Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rickmann  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2020 19:40:00(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Helle everyone and Merry Christmas to all.

My Daughter bought me a flea market Marklin 8883 (a BR 050). Despite being a complete mess, with lotos of parts missing, it is not a lost cause. I do enjoy very much reviving these beauties.

There is an item missing that concerns me, the wheels are all present but without the coupling rods that connect them.

Now I have two alternative ways:

1) There is somewhere a Good Samaritan that sells me the wheels for a good price, I have seen that they are available for an obscene amount of money (almost 100€);

2) I work my way with different coupling rods from other engines (easier and cheaper to find). This leads to my question:

The length of the BR 050 Coupling Rods is the same length of other locomotives, for example a 8800?

Does anyone know the length of the Br 050 coupling Rods? I can scratch build them easily from a metal sheet!!

Best Regards and a safe Christmas to each and everyone of you.
Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2020 22:22:46(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Thank you and Happy Holidays to you too.

That is a great daughter, looking out for Dad! I bet that was a bargain flea market item.

I located the entire wheel set and connectors for about half the cost you mentioned. A reliable source too. (Polished with red details)

https://www.ersatzteile-...nge-br-85-und-br-50.html

I think I know that you will want to make them yourself. I have not heard anyone doing this successfully, but I imagine it is not impossible.

I would suspect Marklin shares parts and costs whenever possible, but it is hard to say which will match correctly and which will not work. If the rods are missing, are the pins missing too? If they are, are you going to make these too? In the long run, seems cheaper to purchase the entire assembly. What is the condition of the wheels, it is possible, they have seen better days anyway.

The linking rods are never sold separately, or I must clarify, I have never seen them. I would not expect a rod from an 8800 to fit your needs, but who am I to say. From the link above it seems the wheel assembly fits both a Br 50 and 85.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline Rickmann  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2020 22:36:46(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Dwight

I saw that wheel set, and that is exactly my opinion. I will write them and see what they stay.

Best regards and stay safe.
Ricardo
Offline Rickmann  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2021 18:22:27(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Dwight

As I suspected, the big steam locomotives have similar axis distances, so it wasn't difficult to use coupling rods from different locomotives to use in my BR 50. Quite fun I can add.

So this problem is fixed, now I have a question that maybe you can help.

I have a complete motor, except for the magnetic case:

Magnet Case.jpg

I am tempted to assume that - in order to have simplified production pipelines - all magnetic cases of the big Steam locomotives are equal. So a magnetic case from another "horizontal motor" would fit. What do you think? I do not find very amusing having to pay 80USD (plus postage) for a new complete motor.

Best Regards and please stay safe.
Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2021 01:18:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Great to hear you made progress on your locomotive.

I have not seen that magnetic cage for sale for those models. I have seen it for the BR 89 or V260, but not that model. I expect you are right and parts are shared across many model, it just makes sense to do it that way. Where the cage may be identical, it is possible it has attachment points which may interfere with using it on a different model. I don’t have experience with this, to be honest. Which model motor is that?

If I notice that part someplace, will let you know, or maybe someone here will let you know.

Best wishes, take good care.

Dwight

Edited by user 12 January 2021 06:10:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Rickmann  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2021 01:51:00(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Dwight

The replacement motor is Marklin 268850. It is available as a spare, but it is very expensive (90€+20€ for shiping). The BR50 can be purchased complete with that money.
I will disassemble my other BR50 (purchased for 80€) and check if the case can be removed and reattached.

I’ll keep you informed.

Stay safe and take the vaccine. I am due to take mine this week. My hospital is at 120% capacity...it’s a chaos out here.

Best regards
Ricardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2021 05:18:27(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Sorry to hear that Rickmann, I love Portugal and can't wait to go back, I pray everyone will take this seriously and get vaccinated ASAP.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2021 06:36:20(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I have researched the new coreless replacement motor for the BR50 is possibly E275145.

Have an expert confirm this for you before looking for it. I have found listings for this motor at about 30Eurs over in your area.

Seems going with the latest technology at a reasonable price may be the perfect solution for you. It might just slip right into the frame without modifications but I cannot say for sure. From the photos of the motor this may be the case.

I am going to check this out for my fleet. I hope the coreless solution spreads to many old models, wouldn’t that be great.

Take good care. Let us know how is works out for you.

Dwight
Offline Rickmann  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2021 15:24:36(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Dwight

This last post of yours was like sunshine in a winter day.

However i've been looking for more info about this coreless engine and how to install it, but so far no luck whatsoever.

Got equal luck in what concerns the indication of what coreless engine to use for each locomotive model.

Can you help? where do i did for more info?

Thank you

Best Regards
Ricardo
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 12 January 2021 16:22:42(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

You are right, not much out there right now,at least not yet. I believe there will be eventually.

Of course, if the frame were replaced, that might be all you need. The remaining parts may just fit. It is an interesting puzzle.

If I remember correctly,early on,someone had a YouTube about putting a coreless motor into a BR 103. It involved frame cutting etc, and I didn’t consider it something I could do. At an early time, it is possible the motor was not a Marklin replacement motor.

Will let you know if I run into something interesting.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2021 01:25:55(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. I hope all is well.

It finally happened! I located a YouTube which shows the conversation of an old Marklin BR 50 from 5 pole to the new bell armature motor.

Sorry it does not have a translator but the process is fairly straight forward.

Hope more are listed, perhaps a Railbus.

Let us know how it goes should you decide to take on the procedure.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline Rickmann  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2021 03:35:07(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Dwight

Thanks a lot, i will try it, seems very simple.

Today i found that the magnetic cases are standard, i tried a box from another horizontal motor and it works like a charm. So if anyone has that doubt, it works.

Hope you are well and safe.

In my hospital we have all been vaccinated so lets hope for the best.

Best regards and stay safe.

Ricardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann
Zme