Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online Michael4  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2020 15:43:26(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I must admit that I have been panic buying, I have bought a whole lot of brushes, tyres, bulbs and various bits and pieces in advance of January.

I may be mad but a possible 20% VAT on anything over £15 (including shipping) is enough to spur me on - or am I wasting my time?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline IanC  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:04:28(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Michael,

This Brit. normally goes to Germany around now for the Christmas markets, possibly visit Marklin in Goppingen as I have friends nearby in B-W, and buy my Museums car - this year I had to buy it on ebay instead; and collect a years worth or orders from Huenerbein in Aachen on the way back. Caught between the COVID-19 Lockdown2 and Brexit, I have arranged with Huenerbein to post my stuff to me this time. They are currently offering free postage for orders over Euros 350 but there are a lot of delayed items coming from Marklin in December so we have agreed a cut-off deadline of 11th December for shipping and payment by IBAN before the end of the year.

Who knows what next year will hold but I will still be visiting Germany and buying trains when conditions allow. I think we'll still be allowed to bring trains into the country a couple at a time like we used to do in the old days before the UK joined the EU in 1973.

Get clicking!

IanC

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:08:46(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Must admit I am totally mixed up on the subject.

The pound to the Euro is not that bad at the moment. Will it get better if they do some sort of deal will it sink if there is no deal?

Will my lok (or whatever) be sat in a DHL truck in a field off the motorway in Kent or Calais for weeks. Will the De dealers not be bothered with paperwork etc for us Brits or will they not charge German Vat and it creeps into the UK without Vat being added. I have a particular lok that is not in stock at my favourites and is showing as December delivery but I could buy it now from much more expensive dealers.

My wife gets very cross with me if I try and raise the subject, There is Covid, Lockdown, vaccinations, a non family Xmas , greater consequences from Brexit and All I seem to be worried about is my dam toy trains.

I hope we don’t now get into trouble with the site admin for discussing forbidden matters. I do sometimes forget that as an English speaking forum most of the members live outside the EU and they seem to manage OK-ish.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Online Michael4  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:55:39(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Fear not, I have not and will not pass comment or opinion on such matters. "Damn Toy Trains' are one of my aids for keeping sane.

Apart from money, I am thinking about logistics and the thought of a small packet of stuff, lost in a field near Dover, does near appeal. I don't buy new so my requirements tend to be for the odd small bits and pieces that keep things running or help with a new project.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline IanC  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2020 18:54:11(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Courier services working well at the moment - DPD to Germany 4-5 days (saved £50 over the Post Office rates!). Hermes, who regularly get a bad press, from the Netherlands in 3 days.

IanC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2020 16:14:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I must admit that I have been panic buying, I have bought a whole lot of brushes, tyres, bulbs and various bits and pieces in advance of January.

I may be mad but a possible 20% VAT on anything over £15 (including shipping) is enough to spur me on - or am I wasting my time?

Yeah, but don't forget you are currently paying German MWsT of 16% currently, which will come off before shipping once everything goes belly up.

I will be more interested to see if it will be possible to pick up items on a trip to Europe and get the MWsT off on leaving - and then get into the UK with "nothing to declare sir" Blushing .

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2020 17:01:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, but don't forget you are currently paying German MWsT of 16% currently, which will come off before shipping once everything goes belly up.
Right.
A different question is how the exchange rate will develop after the Brexit.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2020 18:19:48(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Right.

So important question when I win the Euro millions lottery tonight (£116 millions) shall I ask to be paid in pounds or Euro or should I buy a super trawler or should I nip over to MSL and buy a couple of crocodiles and hide them in my socks in my suitcase on the way home?

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Nibelungen  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2020 00:01:46(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
What we have to worry about are import duties. I’ve bought Lionel O gauge products from The USA and I’ve frequently found the tax paid was more than I paid for the item. Not only does one have to pay duty on the price of the item but also on the postage costs. Yes I’ve been stocking up on things that I can’t get easily in the UK
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2020 00:39:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Been buying. Gaugemaster is just a joke when it comes to stocking Marklin. Most on here will have more locos than they have and they are the only Marklin dealers in the Uk. It isGemany or nothing so just hope we get a deal but the exchange rate now is terrible compared to years ago.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2020 01:22:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Right.

So important question when I win the Euro millions lottery tonight (£116 millions) shall I ask to be paid in pounds or Euro or should I buy a super trawler or should I nip over to MSL and buy a couple of crocodiles and hide them in my socks in my suitcase on the way home?

Hide them in your socks ? is this about hiding it from your wife ? or is it hiding it from customs ? which would be a waste of time except they'll keep warm.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Online Michael4  
#12 Posted : 21 November 2020 09:49:52(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
It is Gemany or nothing so just hope we get a deal but the exchange rate now is terrible compared to years ago.

My layout and everything on it is far from new. My need is normally for spare parts. I buy these from Italy. If I need to buy 'things' they often come from the Netherlands. For some reason I haven't bought anything from Germany for years!

I suppose we shouldn't whine, at least we don't have to pay to ship things half way round the world.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline danmarklinman  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2020 22:16:17(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I’ve been buying as much stuff as I can sell at the moment. I chose earlier this year to sell off all my modern stuff, as I wanted to run all my trains with an era four 70s Belgium theme. That said I had to sell now as I could not do from December!!!! And before tax gets loaded onto imported models. It’s dawned on me I might need spares as well😱
As wheel as some detail parts for the layout?
I tend to visit Belgium once a year for some train watching. It will be a train buying day now!! Unless the pompous lot come to there senses ☹️ And shake hands with there biggest trading partner. Sorry to be political, but it has the potential to c..k up my hobby☹️☹️
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline pa-pauls  
#14 Posted : 22 November 2020 12:09:28(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello,

I read this tread and I must LOL !!!
People that are from Norway have always had this "problem" with VAT and high postage fees,,,

I must say do that it is NOT a problem if things are done correctly
When I buy something from for example a German store they remove the German VAT (16% at the moment, 19% normally)
then they add the shipping fees and when I get the parcel here in Norway in the post office
I must pay the 25% VAT of the value of the models in the parcel and a fee of 299,- NOK.
At least this is how it is done here in Norway.

If I meet or get a German store that doesn't wan't to do this paperwork I can use my money in another store !
A serious dealer, wherever they are located, should have this paperwork very easy done in today's computer era,,,

I must admit that there is also very nice to have a "uncle" in Germany that send me some parcels during the year, hehe LOL
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pa-pauls
Offline HO Collector  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2020 23:28:00(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
There will be a last minute deal, both side have too much to lose.
Offline Bogenschütze  
#16 Posted : 12 December 2020 12:54:12(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
With less than 3 weeks to when the BREXIT Withdrawal Agreement expires and "No Deal" now looking extremely likely, I bottled out and decided to bring my next big Marklin purchase forward to try and avoid any customs problems and increased costs that leaving the Common Customs Area would entail.

Having placed my order with MSL online, I was surprised to see that shipping would not be by the usual DHL/Deutsche Post at EUR 3.90 but by UPS at EUR 7.90. So I guess that MSL have already put their post BREXIT plans in place and switched couriers for supply to the UK. Perhaps UPS are better geared up for international shipment than DHL who have dealt with UK addresses as they would a domestic destination.

If my package gets delayed past 31st December I may well be asked to pay customs duty before it's released to me. This is very likely as the item is currently not in stock at MSL and there will be the usual 5-10 day delay for supply from the manufacturer and that will take us straight into the Christmas holiday period. Fingers crossed GRRRRR! Angry
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2020 15:12:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Cancelled a PIko loco as ot would take up to two weeks to come from PIko. Have an order in transit now again by UPS at a higher price. We need a decent UK dealer who hold stocks.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Online Michael4  
#18 Posted : 12 December 2020 15:49:53(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
We need a decent UK dealer who hold stocks.

Sadly I suspect we are too small a market to support even the smallest level of stockholding value and I doubt Marklin would be keen to extend credit terms.

Makes me wonder how many UK Marklinistas there actually are?

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline danmarklinman  
#19 Posted : 12 December 2020 16:07:36(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
We need a decent UK dealer who hold stocks.

Sadly I suspect we are too small a market to support even the smallest level of stockholding value and I doubt Marklin would be keen to extend credit terms.

Makes me wonder how many UK Marklinistas there actually are?

There must be a few people interested in buying from the U.K. now. It’s just how flexible Marklin would be to supply small orders. I wonder if a cooperative could be formed? To buy in bulk for all our yearly orders. Would Gaugemaster be reliable enough to do this? Or would we need to ask a reliable trader from Germany?
I was planning a trip to Rotterdam to visit a shop there later in the year. Covid, Boris and Macron allowing LOL LOL Bored BigGrin us for all
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 12 December 2020 19:21:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

There must be a few people interested in buying from the U.K. now. It’s just how flexible Marklin would be to supply small orders. I wonder if a cooperative could be formed? To buy in bulk for all our yearly orders. Would Gaugemaster be reliable enough to do this? Or would we need to ask a reliable trader from Germany?
I was planning a trip to Rotterdam to visit a shop there later in the year. Covid, Boris and Macron allowing LOL LOL Bored BigGrin us for all

Gaugemaster are already the marklin representatives in the UK, but are expensive.

Getting items from a "reliable trader" in Germany will be no different to getting items from existing retailers, in terms of having to pay VAT etc on importation.
Offline Rwill  
#21 Posted : 12 December 2020 20:40:09(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My plans are going OK ish. 3 out of 4 of my orders are on the way from DE - DHL etc running a bit slow but should be fine. I have one item that is awaited from Marklin by the dealer that may fall into that trap described above .

But I thought I may buy just one more item for the Xmas stocking - Marklin 46951. Cant get the link to work but have a look on eBay!!!!!
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 12 December 2020 20:53:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Its not just that Gaugemaster are expensive it is that they hold almost no worthwhile stocks. I think there are a fair number of Marklin buyers in the UK who at present buy from Germany. If you look at Slots and Trains they do Faller and hold great stocks at prices not much different to Germany.
Gaugemaster give a good service but try to sell everything without holding it in stock and just order from Germany when they have sufficient orders.
We need a dealer just interested in HO items from Marklin Piko and Roco. I dont expect them to hold everything in stock but just a reasonable amount.
Items from others like Brawa and Noch etc are in my view not worth any business building up stocks due to the cost and smaller turn over.
I would like to see a UK site on the net for HO modelers to include the above mentioned main three above when we could approach a business and buy from them.
If a business can do it for Faller then why not Marklin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline IanC  
#23 Posted : 12 December 2020 22:19:07(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I decided Friday 11th December was my cut-off date and my order is now on its' way from Huenerbein in Aachen. A lot of Marklin production due in December has been delayed by COVID-19 rather than Brexit. God knows what we'll do next year, I suppose it all depends on how many fishing boats the Navy sink.

IanC
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by IanC
Online Michael4  
#24 Posted : 13 December 2020 11:38:54(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I can see it now...

How the Gaugemaster deal was struck

It is a dull day at the Spielwarenmesse, it has been raining all night in Nurnberg and last night's dinner is not sitting well with the Marklin International Sales Director. Let us call him Tomas. Entertaining the Americans had been hard work and he was suffering.

On top of all this he is worried. Worried because the Marklin Board in all its wisdom had made it clear that they expect Marklin to be a global brand and what was he, the International Sales Director, doing about that difficult little country that was all over the news, in other words, the UK? What did they know? Pah! Everyone knew that there had been no real representation in the market since the demise of Beatties during his predecessors' time.

Out of the corner of his eye he sees Bill from Gaugemaster. Bill looks hungover but being a Brit is putting a brave face on it, he'd been out to the Hornby Global bash the night before and hadn't had much sleep. Bill is trying to hide in the crowds of onlookers ogling the Marklin layout.

'Now Bill, what are we going to do about the UK?' croaks Tomas too loudly. 'Nothing' responds Bill but as he utters the word he senses a trap. There is a twinkle in Tomas's blood shot eye.

'I'll tell you what we are going to do Bill. I have a plan that will cost you nothing and enhance my standing with the Marklin Board!' Bill groans.

'We are going to put the full Marklin catalogue on your website, where, to put it none too politely, no one will ever find it or be able to work out the prices.' Tomas looks pleased with himself.

'And furthermore' says Tomas warming to his theme, 'we will appoint you official representatives for the UK.'

'But Tomas,' whimpers Bill, 'I can't afford to keep any stock, it doesn't sell, its too expensive and we don't know what AC is.'

'Tomas has fully recovered by now, he can see now that he has something to present to the Board. Bill looks beaten.

'Don't worry about all that Bill, between you and I there will be no need to hold stock and I will tell the board that I have set an annual sales target of £1,000,000 for the UK. They will be impressed, you and I know that you will never make it so every year I will sack you for failing to achieve your budget and then re-employ you on the basis that there is no one else who'll take it on. Brilliant eh?' Tomas is triumphant.

'Lunch?' suggests Bill, he is beaten.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline bygger01  
#25 Posted : 13 December 2020 21:13:47(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
Now that the Canal are going to become visible again and is playing its old role, and the tunnel is not a big advantage, then you should drive DC with Hornby or the Danish Heljan ( if it will move ).

But you have an other option, if the pound does not get too cheap, then take a trip to Ireland, and you will be in the Promised Land ......

Dare I say, you can also just go to Northern Ireland which will be a kind ½ EU !

Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline bygger01  
#26 Posted : 13 December 2020 21:16:29(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
My wife ( the other part of J&B Rail ) says - do you believe - that this good Englishman think, you are funny !!!!!
Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline danmarklinman  
#27 Posted : 13 December 2020 22:03:41(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I’m hoping Switzerland might be helpful 👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Rwill  
#28 Posted : 13 December 2020 23:42:26(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bygger01 Go to Quoted Post
Now that the Canal are going to become visible again and is playing its old role, and the tunnel is not a big advantage, then you should drive DC with Hornby or the Danish Heljan ( if it will move ).

But you have an other option, if the pound does not get too cheap, then take a trip to Ireland, and you will be in the Promised Land ......

Dare I say, you can also just go to Northern Ireland which will be a kind ½ EU !

Obviously some one forgot tell Marklin there is a country called Ireland. On their website it is shown on the map but in the listing of countries their is no Ireland And in the UK & Ireland there are no listed Marklin Dealers.

Anyway its all a bit irrelevant they promised this morning to go the extra 1.609 Kilometres to see if they can make a fudge

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Bogenschütze  
#29 Posted : 16 December 2020 23:07:20(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Just seen this article on the Microsoft News feed on my computer.

"The British toy-train maker Hornby has temporarily stopped all orders to customers outside the UK, blaming delays caused by uncertainty over Brexit and disruption at UK ports. The company, that also makes Scalextric car racing sets and Corgi model cars, said it would not be accepting any non-UK orders until 4 January2021, after the transition period ends and EU-UK trade switches to a new relationship under rules that have not yet been agreed.

Hornby’s toys exported from the UK to the EU could face tariffs of up to 4.7% of their cost if no trade deal is agreed. If tariffs are imposed whilst goods from the UK are delayed in transit, an EU customer could be forced to pay the duty themselves before receiving the goods, a complication Hornby is keen to avoid."

On a more positive note, referring to my post #16 above, the Marklin item I ordered from MSL on Friday 11 December and which was out of stock with a 5 to 10 day lead time, has just been collected by UPS and is scheduled for delivery to me in the UK on Monday 21 December. Phew. Should therefore easily avoid being delayed beyond 31 December and falling into the trap of having to pay 4.7% customs duty plus 20% UK VAT on top of the 16% German VAT already paid.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline HO Collector  
#30 Posted : 25 December 2020 18:37:08(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   

...We need a dealer just interested in HO items from Marklin Piko and Roco. I dont expect them to hold everything in stock but just a reasonable amount...

I would like to see a UK site on the net for HO modelers to include the above mentioned main three above when we could approach a business and buy from them.
If a business can do it for Faller then why not Marklin.

Cost is the answer.
£2000 will see many Faller items but maybe 6 Marklin lococs. I know a well respected dealer who had shelves loaded with Marklin items, G1 and HO, who have sold it all and closed because Marklin demanded him to purchase and stock stupid levels.
Offline Rwill  
#31 Posted : 26 December 2020 18:28:18(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
OK so the deal is done???????? Panic No more

But having read every one of the 2734 pages of the deal I am still not sure about my outstanding lok from MSL. I am quite prepared to be told I am being thick but here goes.

We must now assume my "not quite here" order will be at MSL in the New Year sometime.

So they despatch it sometime via DHL/UPS or whoever and take what from my PayPal? The advertised price per website etc which includes German VAT which helps pay for whatever Germans use their taxes for- health, schools etc etc. Or the net of Vat amount and I will somehow have to pay someone ?????? English VAT before they deliver it?. No I must be being dense, put me right quickly.
Offline David Dewar  
#32 Posted : 26 December 2020 23:09:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
No vat from Germany but vat added when in the UK along with any fees. Unless other arrangements are agreed with the EU.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#33 Posted : 27 December 2020 10:14:15(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Here is the latest information from MSL
Dear customers,

due to the current border closure and the following Brexit, it is not possible for us to ship your orders to the UK or Ireland. Your orders will be prepared and stored with us until shipping is possible again. You are of course free to cancel your order at any time.

After the borders are reopened, your orders will be sent, but this will most likely not be possible until January 15th, 2021. We are sorry not to have better news before the holidays.

A lot will change as a result of Brexit. We have already changed our store to "net" purchasing for UK customers and are still very happy to receive orders from the UK.
We will try our best to get the goods to you as soon as possible.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.
Your MSL Team

As David says no German VAT, currently 16%, but we will get UK VAT 20% plus we can expect a handling fee from DHL/UPS as they will collect VAT on behalf of HMRC and usually will have to be paid before delivery.

I have an interesting situation with another German dealer. An item I bought was dispatched via DHL on 20 December, it got caught in the Chunnel shut down and has been returned to the dealer. They are going to talk to DHL tomorrow to see what we do next 🤷‍♂️
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline Rwill  
#34 Posted : 27 December 2020 12:14:27(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thanks Adrian - Obviously I was too busy reading the full text of the Agreement to notice that on the MSL site. I guess I can live without my reserved lok for a few more weeks and then use that as an experiment when matters are sorted. This is beginning to justify to my wife why my end of year shopping was higher than normal -it was to save money my dear. I have a little situation too. I returned a lok four/five weeks ago via MSL to Marklin under warranty. The usual excellent service from MSL ,shipping label etc but a cautionary note that due to lots of factors it may take some time - six or more weeks. So it will be interesting when it returns how a "no money" package passes through the system.
Online Michael4  
#35 Posted : 27 December 2020 15:47:59(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Just to add that as I understand it UK VAT will due on item plus shipping costs. 'As I understand it' that is.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#36 Posted : 27 December 2020 16:42:52(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Thanks Adrian - Obviously I was too busy reading the full text of the Agreement to notice that on the MSL site. I guess I can live without my reserved lok for a few more weeks and then use that as an experiment when matters are sorted. This is beginning to justify to my wife why my end of year shopping was higher than normal -it was to save money my dear. I have a little situation too. I returned a lok four/five weeks ago via MSL to Marklin under warranty. The usual excellent service from MSL ,shipping label etc but a cautionary note that due to lots of factors it may take some time - six or more weeks. So it will be interesting when it returns how a "no money" package passes through the system.

As I understand the item should be declared as a repair and then will be excluded from VAT etc
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#37 Posted : 27 December 2020 19:03:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post

As I understand the item should be declared as a repair and then will be excluded from VAT etc

To be sure of that i would want the declaration to be "Warranty Repair" to show that the repair is zero cost.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Carim  
#38 Posted : 05 January 2021 00:35:26(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I just read in the "Financial Times" that from the 1st January, all foreign mail-order sellers must register for UK VAT (and collect it and pay it to the UK government) if they sell to UK customers. A lot of sellers are probably going to give up selling to the UK or there is going to be fraud as HMRC is stopping policing VAT on mail-order imports at the UK's borders.

Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#39 Posted : 05 January 2021 00:56:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
I just read in the "Financial Times" that from the 1st January, all foreign mail-order sellers must register for UK VAT (and collect it and pay it to the UK government) if they sell to UK customers. A lot of sellers are probably going to give up selling to the UK or there is going to be fraud as HMRC is stopping policing VAT on mail-order imports at the UK's borders.

Carim

The way this BBC article reads it seems there is a demarcation point around 150 Euro.

I have noticed that foreign sellers on ebay.co.uk all have a rider on the listing that 20% VAT will be added , I presume this is ebay doing it automatically.

Offline Carim  
#40 Posted : 05 January 2021 08:54:17(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
From the HMRC website:

Goods located outside the UK at the point of sale

"These new arrangements will apply to sales of goods to GB customers where the consignment does not exceed £135 in value. This aligns with the threshold for relief from customs duty, thus minimising the impact on customs procedures. Consignments above that value will remain subject to existing customs rules and processes and from 1 January 2021 UK VAT registered businesses will be able to use postponed VAT accounting to account for import VAT on their VAT return.

For most consignments not exceeding £135 in value, instead of VAT being collected at importation or delivery to the customer, VAT will be accounted for at the point of sale."

"This means that the following types of businesses will have to register for UK VAT (if not already registered) and account for VAT to HMRC:

- any business that operates an OMP that facilitates sales of goods to UK customers
- any business that sells goods directly (without OMP involvement) to UK customers where the goods are (a) outside UK at the point of sale (b) imported to the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value"

Carim

note: OMP = online marketplace
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
H0
Offline H0  
#41 Posted : 05 January 2021 09:47:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
From the HMRC website:
"This means that the following types of businesses will have to register for UK VAT (if not already registered) and account for VAT to HMRC [...]"
Most of those businesses will take the easy path and stop delivering to the UK. A handful of big players will get registered.

Related article:
https://www.theneweurope...es-due-to-brexit-6881640
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rwill  
#42 Posted : 05 January 2021 11:42:17(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Well it looks like I will be the "experiment". I had a reservation on MSL for a lok from a month ago. This morning they inform me its now in stock so I completed the transaction and PayPal payment. In checkout they have removed the VAT. The shipping is UPS and has gone up to 7.75 Euros. I will now wait and see what happens next. Its not a super lok so a modest 250 Euros. Will I wait weeks for it to move. Normally with an MSL order I will add some little bits - a pot of oil, a couple of buffer stops but I chose not to complicate this matter at the first hurdle. I will let you know.............
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline twmarklinfan  
#43 Posted : 05 January 2021 11:48:40(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
I think this is going to be messy for a while. Currently MSL is treating us as net customers I.e no vat, but according to the article above that is not correct. Another supplier I use won’t be treating us as net and will maintain German VAT.

I be got one item on the way which was returned by DHL to the dealer before Christmas because of the COVID shut down and then DHL stopped operating until yesterday. Anyway it’s been collected again and it’s on its way. I’ll keep you posted.

I saw one article advising that some courier companies were adding a fee of £4/5 for each shipment to cover extra admin expenses.

At this rate we might have to use the dreaded Gaugemaster!
Offline Rwill  
#44 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:25:12(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Adrian, You must be reading my mind. Yesterday I really couldn't wait for a couple of tiny items so an eBay search revealed that they were available from Gaugemaster at the usual mega price but a mega price on just a few quid is not that awful so I ordered them. I have never noticed before that GM were on eBay - Amazon yes and their own site. So I pressed buy and will expect a little parcel by Friday. Further investigation revealed what I always knew. On their website they list over 2000 Marklin items but you search page after page to find something that is in stock. On eBay where you can only list items that are available and in stock GM list just 378 items for sale. I believe there will be an opportunity for someone be it Gaugemaster, an MSL UK "office" or some other entrepreneur to take advantage of the new situation. My only concern is that I think we would be horrified at the tiny size of the UK market for Marklin and if we took out the sums "north of the border" it would be even less!
Offline David Dewar  
#45 Posted : 05 January 2021 14:51:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Gaugemaster are hopeless for Marklin. We need a proper Marklin distributor who only does Marklin and does not retail but supplies model shops. Would need a large investment but would make cash in the long run and allow all model shops to order from them. Maintaining large stocks is essential. I don’t understand why Marklin allow GM to be their representatives when they do such a poor job. Can I add that GM do give an excellent service but it is not backed up with products available to purchase. We can only live in hope that somebody in the UK will take on Marklin.