Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2020 15:43:26(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I must admit that I have been panic buying, I have bought a whole lot of brushes, tyres, bulbs and various bits and pieces in advance of January.

I may be mad but a possible 20% VAT on anything over £15 (including shipping) is enough to spur me on - or am I wasting my time?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline IanC  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:04:28(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Michael,

This Brit. normally goes to Germany around now for the Christmas markets, possibly visit Marklin in Goppingen as I have friends nearby in B-W, and buy my Museums car - this year I had to buy it on ebay instead; and collect a years worth or orders from Huenerbein in Aachen on the way back. Caught between the COVID-19 Lockdown2 and Brexit, I have arranged with Huenerbein to post my stuff to me this time. They are currently offering free postage for orders over Euros 350 but there are a lot of delayed items coming from Marklin in December so we have agreed a cut-off deadline of 11th December for shipping and payment by IBAN before the end of the year.

Who knows what next year will hold but I will still be visiting Germany and buying trains when conditions allow. I think we'll still be allowed to bring trains into the country a couple at a time like we used to do in the old days before the UK joined the EU in 1973.

Get clicking!

IanC

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:08:46(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Must admit I am totally mixed up on the subject.

The pound to the Euro is not that bad at the moment. Will it get better if they do some sort of deal will it sink if there is no deal?

Will my lok (or whatever) be sat in a DHL truck in a field off the motorway in Kent or Calais for weeks. Will the De dealers not be bothered with paperwork etc for us Brits or will they not charge German Vat and it creeps into the UK without Vat being added. I have a particular lok that is not in stock at my favourites and is showing as December delivery but I could buy it now from much more expensive dealers.

My wife gets very cross with me if I try and raise the subject, There is Covid, Lockdown, vaccinations, a non family Xmas , greater consequences from Brexit and All I seem to be worried about is my dam toy trains.

I hope we don’t now get into trouble with the site admin for discussing forbidden matters. I do sometimes forget that as an English speaking forum most of the members live outside the EU and they seem to manage OK-ish.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2020 17:55:39(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Fear not, I have not and will not pass comment or opinion on such matters. "Damn Toy Trains' are one of my aids for keeping sane.

Apart from money, I am thinking about logistics and the thought of a small packet of stuff, lost in a field near Dover, does near appeal. I don't buy new so my requirements tend to be for the odd small bits and pieces that keep things running or help with a new project.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline IanC  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2020 18:54:11(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Courier services working well at the moment - DPD to Germany 4-5 days (saved £50 over the Post Office rates!). Hermes, who regularly get a bad press, from the Netherlands in 3 days.

IanC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2020 16:14:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I must admit that I have been panic buying, I have bought a whole lot of brushes, tyres, bulbs and various bits and pieces in advance of January.

I may be mad but a possible 20% VAT on anything over £15 (including shipping) is enough to spur me on - or am I wasting my time?

Yeah, but don't forget you are currently paying German MWsT of 16% currently, which will come off before shipping once everything goes belly up.

I will be more interested to see if it will be possible to pick up items on a trip to Europe and get the MWsT off on leaving - and then get into the UK with "nothing to declare sir" Blushing .

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2020 17:01:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, but don't forget you are currently paying German MWsT of 16% currently, which will come off before shipping once everything goes belly up.
Right.
A different question is how the exchange rate will develop after the Brexit.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2020 18:19:48(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Right.

So important question when I win the Euro millions lottery tonight (£116 millions) shall I ask to be paid in pounds or Euro or should I buy a super trawler or should I nip over to MSL and buy a couple of crocodiles and hide them in my socks in my suitcase on the way home?

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Nibelungen  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2020 00:01:46(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
What we have to worry about are import duties. I’ve bought Lionel O gauge products from The USA and I’ve frequently found the tax paid was more than I paid for the item. Not only does one have to pay duty on the price of the item but also on the postage costs. Yes I’ve been stocking up on things that I can’t get easily in the UK
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2020 00:39:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Been buying. Gaugemaster is just a joke when it comes to stocking Marklin. Most on here will have more locos than they have and they are the only Marklin dealers in the Uk. It isGemany or nothing so just hope we get a deal but the exchange rate now is terrible compared to years ago.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2020 01:22:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Right.

So important question when I win the Euro millions lottery tonight (£116 millions) shall I ask to be paid in pounds or Euro or should I buy a super trawler or should I nip over to MSL and buy a couple of crocodiles and hide them in my socks in my suitcase on the way home?

Hide them in your socks ? is this about hiding it from your wife ? or is it hiding it from customs ? which would be a waste of time except they'll keep warm.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Michael4  
#12 Posted : 21 November 2020 09:49:52(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
It is Gemany or nothing so just hope we get a deal but the exchange rate now is terrible compared to years ago.

My layout and everything on it is far from new. My need is normally for spare parts. I buy these from Italy. If I need to buy 'things' they often come from the Netherlands. For some reason I haven't bought anything from Germany for years!

I suppose we shouldn't whine, at least we don't have to pay to ship things half way round the world.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline danmarklinman  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2020 22:16:17(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I’ve been buying as much stuff as I can sell at the moment. I chose earlier this year to sell off all my modern stuff, as I wanted to run all my trains with an era four 70s Belgium theme. That said I had to sell now as I could not do from December!!!! And before tax gets loaded onto imported models. It’s dawned on me I might need spares as well😱
As wheel as some detail parts for the layout?
I tend to visit Belgium once a year for some train watching. It will be a train buying day now!! Unless the pompous lot come to there senses ☹️ And shake hands with there biggest trading partner. Sorry to be political, but it has the potential to c..k up my hobby☹️☹️
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline pa-pauls  
#14 Posted : 22 November 2020 12:09:28(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

I read this tread and I must LOL !!!
People that are from Norway have always had this "problem" with VAT and high postage fees,,,

I must say do that it is NOT a problem if things are done correctly
When I buy something from for example a German store they remove the German VAT (16% at the moment, 19% normally)
then they add the shipping fees and when I get the parcel here in Norway in the post office
I must pay the 25% VAT of the value of the models in the parcel and a fee of 299,- NOK.
At least this is how it is done here in Norway.

If I meet or get a German store that doesn't wan't to do this paperwork I can use my money in another store !
A serious dealer, wherever they are located, should have this paperwork very easy done in today's computer era,,,

I must admit that there is also very nice to have a "uncle" in Germany that send me some parcels during the year, hehe LOL
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pa-pauls
Offline HO Collector  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2020 23:28:00(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
There will be a last minute deal, both side have too much to lose.