Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2020 02:17:25(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   

Hallo Gentlemen,
Calling all DRG experts and fans. Recently when browsing web I came across quite interesting and rare photograph of German DRG Steam Locomotives taken during the WW2.
The best-known and the most produced German war locomotive , or Kriegslokomotive was DRG Class 52 and 42.
Germans equipped them with special condensation tenders to cope with water shortages in vast Russian steppes.
But on the photo is Ex Prussian P8 - BR38 with Condensation Tender! Quite unusual and rare sight I guess.
Gentlemen, have anyone of you seen BR 38 with such tender or any other steam locomotive class besides above mentioned BR 42 and BR 52 ?

UserPostedImage

[ BR53 is a pure Märklin fiction ]
So having large tenders that would condense exhaust steam back into water only caught on in the Soviet Union and South Africa.
Well but I do not understand why they did not catch on in the US Southwest desert or down under in Aussie country.
Any comments or stories ( perhaps photos) will be truly impressive and appreciated.
Any one ?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2020 03:49:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
nice catch. Don't tell Märklin though, otherwise we will have a new must-have combination out soon...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2020 13:13:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
nice catch. Don't tell Märklin though, otherwise we will have a new must-have combination out soon...

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Although I wonder if that is really Stalingrad as the caption purports it to be. I didn't think the Germans actually managed to capture the city.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2020 13:45:45(UTC)
H0

Here's a link to a youtube video (jump to 00:45) which could be the source of the photo shown here:
?t=46

Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
[ BR53 is a pure Märklin fiction ]
Not pure fiction. The loco existed on blueprints only. MEB and MIBA published the blueprints, people started making freelance models - and Märklin saw a chance to make money.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2020 18:40:02(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post

Hallo Gentlemen,
Any comments or stories ( perhaps photos) will be truly impressive and appreciated.
Any one ?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Judging by the condition of the buildings in the photo, I think that this lok is just a fluke of the war. Maybe it was cobbled together from anything laying around that could be made to run. I did however, find a photo of a turbine P8. I believe that the wheels of the tender were turbine driven and the lok ran in conventional steam mode. A far more interesting lok to model given the driving wheel arrangement, rods etc. of the tender.

Terbinenlok.jpg

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline DTaylor91  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2020 05:01:32(UTC)
DTaylor91

Apparently there was once a kit to convert a Märlkin BR38 to the turbine type above:

https://picclick.de/Baua...tml#&gid=1&pid=1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2020 21:21:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

For those understanding German, have a look at Wikipedia. The article is about a T 38 steamer with an additional steam turbine combined with a condenser.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_T_38_3255

The product from Maerklin was a BR 38 art# 3098

http://maerklin-sammler-...iven/03098/03098_m_m.htm

The shown video is a fake to me. The picture quality is to good and up to a resolution of 1080p HD availabale. 1942/1943 colour films were very rare and very expensive. Best known users of colour film material were Eva Braun (Hitler's wife) and Johann Peter Baur. He was Hitler's pilot and a hobby filmer who made most of the movies with Hitler.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Baur_(Pilot)
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2020 23:05:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
The shown video is a fake to me. The picture quality is to good and up to a resolution of 1080p HD availabale. 1942/1943 colour films were very rare and very expensive. Best known users of colour film material were Eva Braun (Hitler's wife) and Johann Peter Baur. He was Hitler's pilot and a hobby filmer who made most of the movies with Hitler.

Those -and hundreds of others- are old scratched black-and-white (mostly) films, digitized and ENHANCED with the newest computer technology, which blows up the image, adjusts the timing and velocity, fills in missing frames and adds colour.
All thanks to new A.I. (future master of humanity. All bow to the master!)

If this new stream of enhanced videos currently available on YouTube does now blow your socks off, then have a look at what can be done to modern video recordings today; expansion of the visual field. Complete removal of "disturbing" objects. -Even to the removal of the SHADOW cast by the moving object.
"What a fantastic time to be alive!". I mean... Blimey!

So... Not really fake, but... Enhanced.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2020 23:39:24(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Those -and hundreds of others- are old scratched black-and-white (mostly) films, digitized and ENHANCED with the newest computer technology, which blows up the image, adjusts the timing and velocity, fills in missing frames and adds colour.
All thanks to new A.I. (future master of humanity. All bow to the master!)

If this new stream of enhanced videos currently available on YouTube does now blow your socks off, then have a look at what can be done to modern video recordings today; expansion of the visual field. Complete removal of "disturbing" objects. -Even to the removal of the SHADOW cast by the moving object.
"What a fantastic time to be alive!". I mean... Blimey!

So... Not really fake, but... Enhanced.

have to agree with you ThumpUp

here is an example of resolution upscaling to 4k and colorization of a film from 1896. so it's quite possible.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline 1borna  
#10 Posted : 08 December 2020 21:39:53(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
MicroMetakit
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
bphxxup
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 08 December 2020 21:50:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post

MicroMetakit

I think Trix did some of those models in the Fine Art range.

Not in Photo grey, but looks like the same model as the last couple of photos.