Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2020 18:01:28(UTC)
Minok

United States   
USA:
At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

Merchandise shipments for private customers:

Small packages and parcels without Premium Service will be sent to the US via ocean freight until further notice. From September 15, 2020, franking will only be possible online.
DHL Paket International with Premium Service remains available for faster shipping; in this case, items are shipped to the US via air freight. This product can be ordered online and in retail outlets.

(From https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html )
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2020 23:18:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I suspect that this is how the Insider #2 got to Australia and why it was so late..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2020 23:36:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have had some parcels that came via airmail. The last two were shipped by OOCL via Antwerp and arrived in either Montreal or Quebec City and were put into the mail from there.
This has included both packages sent as Deutsche Post mail and as DHL small packets. I guess that if they can't find a slot in a air container, they send it by the next available means.
I heard that some airlines had increased the cargo capacity on certain routes. I don't know if this was done by reassigning planes or by converting planes to carry more cargo.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Surge  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2020 04:25:53(UTC)
Surge

United States   
I have received several locomotives from Europe to the US via DHL by Air in Sept and Oct.
Gauge 1 locomotive collector
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2020 01:43:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Surge Go to Quoted Post
I have received several locomotives from Europe to the US via DHL by Air in Sept and Oct.

I received a nice steam loco in June and some coaches for it about a month ago and they were all shipped by Air from Germany. So some items are still moving normally but at what I think are unsustainable prices in the long term. When/if the world economy again resembles the one at the end of 2019, shipping will go back to what we enjoyed before.

But I don't think that we are nearly done with this virus yet - but rather more like, it is not yet nearly done with us.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Surge  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2020 02:15:16(UTC)
Surge

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I received a nice steam loco in June and some coaches for it about a month ago and they were all shipped by Air from Germany. So some items are still moving normally but at what I think are unsustainable prices in the long term. When/if the world economy again resembles the one at the end of 2019, shipping will go back to what we enjoyed before.

But I don't think that we are nearly done with this virus yet - but rather more like, it is not yet nearly done with us.

What I’m finding with shipping via DHL is many merchants choose the service that gives the parcels to the US Postal Service. I’ve received several damaged locomotives this way. Not good! If you order products from abroad and they are sent by DHL, ensure the shipper doesn’t use USPS for the journey from the DHL hub to you.
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2020 02:46:17(UTC)
Minok

United States   

What I’m finding with shipping via DHL is many merchants choose the service that gives the parcels to the US Postal Service. I’ve received several damaged locomotives this way. Not good! If you order products from abroad and they are sent by DHL, ensure the shipper doesn’t use USPS for the journey from the DHL hub to you.

If you choose a shipping method that is the traditional postal mail route , which is the cheapest as the rates are mostly fixed per international postal agreements and conventions , then it will be delivered in the destination country by that nations postal service.

To get packages delivered all the way by a parcel delivery service that isn’t postal you must choose and pay for the usually substantially more expensive Delivery service options.

So it’s always a personal choices of cost vs speed cos risk of loss or damage.

DHL is the normal postal service inside Germany these days but who it’s handed over to inside the USA depends on which service you have paid for. If it goes by commercial airplane or now ship to the US it’s often postal and thus USPS. For freight carrier delivery on their own planes and final delivery the cost is higher.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2020 02:55:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

There are two divisions of DHL. One is the UPS type courier company and the other is the rebranded parcel division of Deutsche Post (German Post). Parcels that are mailed in Germany are normally DHL Post. Those parcels normally go to one of several Export processing centres from where they are shipped to the destination country. Once a parcel arrives in the New York area, it will either arrive at Newark or JFK depending on which airline handles the transport. From there, it is sent to the Customs Postal facility where the parcel can be examined by CDP personnel. Once it is released, it is moved to the USPS wing of that facility and from there it goes into the normal USPS system for delivery.

I have seen a few items that were damaged because the package was opened by customs and was then incorrectly or poorly repackaged, resulting in damages between customs and delivery.

As you are in NYC, hopefully the parcels are not processed too much between release from customs and delivery.
In my case, they go via a number of processing centres, either in NJ, NY or MA before making their way north to Plattsburgh via either Albany (87) or via Syracuse (90/81/11) before final processing in Plattsburgh and then delivery to my office there.

Most European (especially German) shippers seem to think that reusing old boxes, especially shoe boxes is ideal for model trains and these boxes are not going to withstand the damage that can occur as well as proper cardboard boxes. I try to inform my shippers to use new or strong packaging (to avoid damage) but I have run into a few who take that suggestion as an insult rather than as helpful advice.

There are a whole bunch of new services pertaining to e-commerce set up by assorted postal companies, for example Asendia, which is a joint venture between Swiss Post and La Posts (France). Royal Mail has Parcel Force and Deutsche Post/DHL are part of at least one as well. I had a parcel shipped from Switzerland that went to London and at that point, the original tracking number disappeared as it was given a new Parcel Force number and was not trackable until after it showed up at my door.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Surge  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2020 03:59:43(UTC)
Surge

United States   
Interesting, thanks.

The DHL main hub in the US is in Cincinnati. From there, USPS picks it up.

I’ve had a few expensive Gauge 1 locos ship from Germany in not very strong cardboard that was filled with peanuts. Not good!
Overall, Marklin has the best packaging, from what I’ve found.
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2020 17:12:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Interesting, thanks.

The DHL main hub in the US is in Cincinnati. From there, USPS picks it up.

DHL Courier has a hub in Cincinnati OH. It handles DHL Express shipments (not DHL mail). Parcels processed through Cincinnati are delivered by DHL using it's own network. I don't know if Cincinnati is part of the new e-commerce operation (DHL Smart Mail).
DHL Post parcels are transported via commercial airlines and enter the United States at one of six gateway airports, New York (JFK, Newark), Chicago, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Once parcels arrive at those gateway hubs, they are handed over to CBP for processing and then released to USPS for delivery. Parcels fall into various categories and the processing and routing may depend on whether the parcel is labelled Priority, Regular Parcel, E-Parcel, etc)

From DHL's e-commerce website: "In 2014 the former MAIL Division of Deutsche Post DHL Group was renamed Post - eCommerce - Parcel with each of the 3 sub-divisions clearly focused on a specific market. Deutsche Post and DHL Paket are the leading providers of mail and parcel services for business customers and consumers in Germany. DHL Parcel offers e-commerce related logistics across Europe, while DHL eCommerce covers the rest of the world."

Regards

Mike C