Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fosuna  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2020 08:09:47(UTC)
fosuna

Spain   
Hello everybody!

Please, I would like to know how to manage and set up correctly the acceleration and breaking delays, and the minimum and maximum speeds in the set up tab when setting a locomotive's running behavior.

More precisely. What are the units that are shown in the "Acceleration Delay" and "Breaking Delay" entry fields? Seconds? A value of, for example "5", what does it means?

Abaout speeds. In the Speedometer one must enter the highest speed the real locomotive reaches, right? And I understand that the values in the Minimum and Maximum speed fields are the number of speed levels (in the decoder) that set those speeds, right? But is there any relation between the "Maximun speed" and the (maximum) speed set in the speedometer? Something like, for example, 120 km/h are equivalent to 120 (or 60, or 80...) en the "Maximum speed".

Well, if somebody can give me details about these loco parameters, I would thank him/her.

Have all a nice day.

Francisco
Francisco Osuna
https://fosuna.net
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2020 08:36:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: fosuna Go to Quoted Post
More precisely. What are the units that are shown in the "Acceleration Delay" and "Breaking Delay" entry fields? Seconds? A value of, for example "5", what does it means?
It's decoder-specific. For mfx decoders the unit is 0.25 seconds. A value of 64 gives you 16 seconds.
For DCC decoders, check the NMRA specification and the decoder manual and be prepared for surprises and mismatches.

Originally Posted by: fosuna Go to Quoted Post
Abaout speeds. In the Speedometer one must enter the highest speed the real locomotive reaches, right? And I understand that the values in the Minimum and Maximum speed fields are the number of speed levels (in the decoder) that set those speeds, right?
That is decoder-specific, too.
You specify how fast you want the model to run. The maximum speed of the prototype does not matter here technically. It matters for some folks though.
The value you specify typically does not relate to any speed levels of the decoder.
Note that the load regulation parameters of the motor, especially the back-EMF voltage level, also control the speed of the model. For some decoders adjusting the speed via back-EMF could be the better way.
For C-Sine locos back-EMF is disabled and changing speed this way has no effect.
Also note that most locos do not come with a linear speed curve ex works and 50% of the speed setting will give you less than 50% of real speed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline fosuna  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2020 09:59:49(UTC)
fosuna

Spain   
Hello Tom!

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand much better now these loco parameters for its running behavior.

Greetings,

Francisco
Francisco Osuna
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2020 11:47:56(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Francisco,

Here is my process for configuring a MfX decoder in a new loco with a CS:

1. Research the prototype speed of the loco

2. Decide what scale speed you want on my layout for that particular train (for steam loco I normally go slightly above the prototype speed).

3. Put the loco on the programming track

4. Test run min. speed and adjust to your liking (a typical value for my standard MfX loco is a value of around 6)

5. Braking delay: if using PC software to control your layout set this value low so the software has full control of being able to brake as needed. For normal setup with just using the CS a value around 25-35 might be a good starting point.

6. Acceleration delay: I normally have mine around the 32

7. Take the loco off the programming track and put on your main layout.

8. Measure out a distance of tracks and run the loco full speed while using a stopwatch to measure the time. The scale speed you calculate you multiple with 87. If loco runs to fast compared to what you decided in step 2; take the loco off the main track and put on the programming track. Now with trial and error adjust the max speed setting until it matches. The default setting is normally much too high and on a standard MfX decoder you might need to get down to a value of around 150.

9. Adjust the speedometer so it represent the speed you decided on in step 2. As Tom stated this setting is only for visual and has now impact on your decoder settings.

A few general notes:

For MfX (or MfX compatible decoder) you can normally get by of using the CS simple menu setting for setting up the decoder.

For DCC decoder go in to the configuration menu with the CV tables. Remember these tables are just default templates initially so if you are missing a CV you just add it and assign a value. When changing a CV value in here I recommend writing the new value by numbers rather that using the arrow to increase or decrease the value.

If you have converted a loco with a new engine and decoder you need to play around with the motor settings. Please read the manual for this. For ESU decoders there is a special calibration function you can do to find some optimised values.

If you have issues with a loco that won’t go full speed it most likely relates to the motor settings, so regardless of what you write in max speed it wont make any impact if you by mistake have a odd value in CV53

Remember you should always be able to reset a decoder by writing value 8 in CV 8, so don’t be scared about configuring your loco if you are not happy with its performance.

Good idea to keep a little spreadsheet of what decoders you have, their address where relevant, CV values etc.

I recommend to read any of the ESU decoder manuals as they contains much more background information on the various settings and what they do compared to Marklin very simplistic manuals.

And finally here is some good info from Søren who is a fellow member here and also an Marklin consultant based in Denmark:

https://railway.zone/pos...-and-decoder-programming

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline fosuna  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2020 16:11:53(UTC)
fosuna

Spain   
Hi Lasse!

Thanks for your replay and for the detailed explanation about the procedure you follow to configure the running behavior of your locos. I take note of the default values you use and I'll start to test them in my locos. Very good start point.

I want to start working with the CVs and for sure I'll visit the website of Søren.

Greetings,

Francisco
Francisco Osuna
Offline joyofmarklin  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2020 06:07:13(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Any tips if you are just using a mobile station? I would like to put switching so I can run 2 locos on the same track, without having to nurse them? Have been warned that with their different rates of acc and deacc will be difficult to calibrate? Apart from trial an error any guidance would be beneficial?
Thankyou
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2020 15:17:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: joyofmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Any tips if you are just using a mobile station? I would like to put switching so I can run 2 locos on the same track, without having to nurse them? Have been warned that with their different rates of acc and deacc will be difficult to calibrate? Apart from trial an error any guidance would be beneficial?
Thankyou

Hi
My experience in adjusting the MFX Märklin locos is there are plenty of parameters but the most important ones are:
- break delay default value is 15 I often increase this to 30 or 45 depending on the loco (type, gears/transmission
- acceleration delay: same as above
- V max except on TGVs I recommend the 255 value to be reduced (depending on the loco from 80 to 200)
- Sound volume some locos are very loud and some would need more voice

Sadly my experience is nothing replaces the try and adjust formula.
I know some people mention a formula between the acceleration /Brake delay number and a multiplying factor to get a full stop but it is not always true on all locos
Remember locos vary A LOT from each other: the motor, the transmission, the loud speaker size.

Because my layout is computer controlled, precision of stops is very important and -of course- speed must vary between a heavy freight and a TEE, so coasting speed and braking delay must be adjusted--> the adjustments are linked. Using a MS2 does not change anything
Here is an example of my layout (CS2 + Rocrail)

Cheers
Jean

Offline joyofmarklin  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2020 19:08:04(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Great system merci for sharing!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joyofmarklin