Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MikeR  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2020 18:53:57(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Good day everyone. I moved to the US about 3 years ago and am finally getting back into model railroading. I have agreed with my wife that I will build and run a 1-gauge layout on our front porch around a Christmas tree. The layout will be a loop with a passing siding. I have 2 MAXI locos with DELTA decoders which will run in opposite directions around the loop. I will be using my CS2 with 72441 braking sections. I understand that the slowing down won't work with the DELTA decoders but the stop section will.

To improve the experience for my grandchildren I am seriously considering upgrading the decoders in the 2 locos to Loksound 5 decoders and fitting smokers in both locos. The maximum motor current of the normal ESU Loksound decoders is 1.5Amps while there is a 5Amp XL version that is available but at twice the price. I would like to fit the cheaper/normal decoders and was wondering whether anyone had any experience of the need for the XL decoders in a MAXI loco? One of the MAXI locos came in a starter set with a 32VA analog transformer. This is quite close to 1.5Amps power supply and would be used for the motor and incandescent lights. Hence I am leaning towards the cheaper decoder.

I also have a 55032 starter set with a class 80 locomotive and a 32VA transformer. Again does anyone have any experience installing a standard decoder in a 1-gauge loco of this size?

Regards
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2020 19:19:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

For very small locos, running with only very few wagons, you can use the H0-decoder; but I wouldn't do it Cool

I would use the Loksound 5 L, made for 0-scale, they are cheaper and smaller than the XL-model Blink

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...nd-5-l-loksound-5-l-dcc/

I have not done it myself; but I've seen several locos converted with the 5 L, including a BR80 BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline MikeR  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2020 21:10:12(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Per

Thanks very much. The L decoder has a maximum motor current of 3Amps. Just what I need! I had not noticed this decoder and it will be a good match to the MAXI locos.

Regards
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR