Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2020 16:44:52(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Hello,

I just found my old Märklin track and trains while sorting my attic...
At first, nothing was working at all, but after cleaning all the tracks and the wheels of my locomotive, it now works quite well on a subset of rails put on a table.

Track

I'm still using the original transformer 37540
transformer

I'm now looking for advices as I'm not planning to invest much money in it, but I don't want to burn the house either...

1. If I keep this transformer, which locomotive can I use without blowing some components ? (I don't care about the new ones with lights and sounds, they cost too much anyway, but I don't know what to look for...)
  2. If I decide to switch to a more recent transformer, does it mean I'll have to buy a new locomotive, and a new "input" rail ? I've only got M tracks, so I'll need an adapter too?

Based on your answers, I may have other questions as I know absolutely NOTHING regarding these topics...
Thank you,
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by KyneSilverhide
Offline Ranjit  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2020 17:33:46(UTC)
Ranjit

Excellent! I am so happy for you, and I am pleased about your "good fortune" !!.

With the old blue transformer, you can run your analogue locomotives like you have done. The goods thing about Marklin is that even after 25 years all you have to do is a bit of cleaning and the locomotives are ready to go.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2020 20:39:55(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

Nice setup.you can run any of the analogue locos. The delta and digital locos will run on analogue too, but obviously no point buying the sound equiped models as you have said. So quick summary:

-new white 32va analogue transformers will plug into your M track no problem
-plenty of nice analogue locos on eBay etc to add to you collection
-for extra track there is plenty of m track out there secondhand if you need it
-all new rolling stock will run no problem on analogue

Hope this helps

Cheers...

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2020 21:01:32(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Ok thanks for the answers !

I first have to "invest" in a bigger table, so I can put all my rails using this layout I managed to draw from memory .. and a lot of trial and error to find the proper curve...
UserPostedImage

Then, I'll see what I can do. Maybe buy some more M tracks on ebay and add some rails in the center ...
UserPostedImage

I still have to clean some tracks because on low speed the train sometimes stop...
And I also have one dead locomotive that don't move at all... I'll try to open it up and clean it.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by KyneSilverhide
Offline drstapes123  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2020 01:00:42(UTC)
drstapes123

United Kingdom   
Nothing like planning a layout and changing your mind as you build it. Don't forget to put feeder tracks in every 6 feet or so
regards

geoff

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by drstapes123
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2020 09:30:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Nice setup.you can run any of the analogue locos. The delta and digital locos will run on analogue too, but obviously no point buying the sound equiped models as you have said.

While this is all true, just a little side-note;
Some older DELTA lcoos might need seeting of the dip-switches to analog mode!
If you ever get your hands on one of those, just ask here again.

In case you get a more modern digital loco, you should NOT try to run it with ANY blue transformer, but should rather invest in one of the new white ones.
(Actually, before buying anything at all, a new white trafo should probably be on top of your list!) Around €35,- 2nd hand on Ebay.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2020 18:09:12(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Ok, I'll have a look at the white transformers. How are they plugged to the rails? simple wires that I can solder or screw to a pin?

Right now I have removed everything because the room will need some train-unrelated work (air conditioning related though :D), and I've just bought a 2m x 1m board to put on the existing table.
Thanks again for all the answers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by KyneSilverhide
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 14 August 2020 23:09:14(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Are the blue plastic transformers not ok?
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2020 00:08:27(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Are the blue plastic transformers not ok?

They have certain problems. I'm no expert, but here goes;

They have a problems with microspikes and the reverse-pulse, which can damage modern decoders.
If you are absolutely certain that you will ONLY be running old style analogue locos, the blue trafo should be OK.

They have a problem with transforming to 230V, in case of 2 trafos wrongly connected (f.x. the red connection bridged by a slider, or by a erroneous cabling), AND one of the trafos NOT plugged into the outlet; In that case you can have 230V live on the plug! (I suppose there is a technical word for this situation, but right now I don't remember...)
This problem exists regardless of what type of locos you are trying to run.
Best regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 15 August 2020 00:09:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: KyneSilverhide Go to Quoted Post
How are they plugged to the rails? simple wires that I can solder or screw to a pin?

They have lugs on the back into which a bare wire can be connected.

Capture.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 15 August 2020 00:17:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
They have a problem with transforming to 230V, in case of 2 trafos wrongly connected (f.x. the red connection bridged by a slider, or by a erroneous cabling), AND one of the trafos NOT plugged into the outlet; In that case you can have 230V live on the plug! (I suppose there is a technical word for this situation, but right now I don't remember...)

Commonly known as 'Back Transformering', where as Henrik states two transformers are connected together via their brown / yellow connections or their brown / red connections. If one of those transformers is plugged into the mains, mains voltage will appear on the mains plug of the 2nd transformer - not ideal Neil! The newer white transformers have inbuilt protection against this.

One other issue with blue transformers is that they were often rated for 220v mains input. If they are plugged into 230v or 240v mains they will give a slightly higher voltage output, especially when the reverse pulse is engaged. It is this higher reverse pulse that can destroy some of the early digital decoders. Not so much of a problem if you have analog only.

With the 10va blue transformer you have, there isn't much power output from them to run more than one large loco or two small ones, and certainly no power free to power any lights you might have. So if you are going to get a 32va transformer you might as well get a used 6647 32va white transformer off ebay or suchlike.

The rule of thumb always was that one large loco consumes 10va, a single light consumes 1va and smaller locos consume about 6 or 7 va.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#12 Posted : 15 August 2020 10:12:30(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
And a spare transformer doesn't sound like a bad idea when your only one is 25 years old :)
Offline HO Collector  
#13 Posted : 16 August 2020 22:22:31(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Every day is a school day. Didn't know about the blue trafos issues, all of mine are blue.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline mvd71  
#14 Posted : 17 August 2020 04:08:41(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I used blue transformers for years without an issue. The old metal ones had high voltage reversing pulses, and were not good for use with digital decoders of the mfx type. But I don't know that there is any issue with the blue plastic ones
Offline rogergags  
#15 Posted : 03 September 2020 04:49:30(UTC)
rogergags

Australia   
I was testing some of my digital locos on an older M track circuit with the blue plastic transformer and I think I blew a decoder in one of my converted ROCO engines.....bummer! Won't be doing that again!
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2020 13:03:05(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Quick update. I bought a new table and some grass mat. I'm waiting for the tracks to complete the layout, but this is what I had when I was a child (layout-wise)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I've also found a white transfo on Ebay, and hope it will work !

I managed to "fix" my second locomotive (it wasn't mowinv at all), but both of them don't really move unless I'm using half speed (~100/150) on the transformer...
I'm not sure if this is a locomotive-related problem, or maybe due to the tracks.. or the transfo itself.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by KyneSilverhide
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#17 Posted : 11 September 2020 16:49:34(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Oh, and I just bought a white transfortmer for 18€ (including shjipping fees).. it works perfectly. A bit too perfect, I can't go max speed or the locomotive try to reverse :D
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 11 September 2020 17:14:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Oh, and I just bought a white transfortmer for 18€ (including shjipping fees).. it works perfectly. A bit too perfect, I can't go max speed or the locomotive try to reverse :D

Right, a common problem with reversing mechanisms.

Any loco where this happens you need to take the loco body off. On top of the reversing mechanism you will find a sliding portion with a spring. You need to use a screwdriver to bend the lug on the moving arm to increase the spring tension slightly. It won't need much adjustment, so go gentle on the adjustment.

If you have a look at the first post by Gus in this thread, https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...Hi-from-Sydney-Australia you will see the sort of mechanism I am thinking of. The brass arm has a little hook on the top side (as viewed, but without a spring in this picture). You can put a screwdriver into the cutout either side of the hook and by twisting the screwdriver clockwise or anticlockwise (depending which side of the lug you are) you can ease the lug for the spring left or right to change the spring tension.

Offline KyneSilverhide  
#19 Posted : 11 September 2020 17:16:46(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Right, a common problem with reversing mechanisms.

Any loco where this happens you need to take the loco body off. On top of the reversing mechanism you will find a sliding portion with a spring. You need to use a screwdriver to bend the lug on the moving arm to increase the spring tension slightly. It won't need much adjustment, so go gentle on the adjustment.

If you have a look at the first post by Gus in this thread, https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...Hi-from-Sydney-Australia you will see the sort of mechanism I am thinking of. The brass arm has a little hook on the top side (as viewed, but without a spring in this picture). You can put a screwdriver into the cutout either side of the hook and by twisting the screwdriver clockwise or anticlockwise (depending which side of the lug you are) you can ease the lug for the spring left or right to change the spring tension.

Yes, I've alraedy opened the locomotive once, but I can live with this small problem. I mean, putting it in max speed is really fast for the track, and it would derail before actually reversing. But than you for the information !
Offline hxmiesa  
#20 Posted : 11 September 2020 20:37:42(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Go on, try to adjust it. Get a feel for it.
If you stay analogue, you will definitely have to control that situation. (which is very basic for old-school Märklin)
Best regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline KyneSilverhide  
#21 Posted : 21 September 2020 15:26:15(UTC)
KyneSilverhide

Belgium   
Some small and slow improvements, but this hobby costs too much to be faster :D

Added some gravel and grass/bushes/trees
UserPostedImage

Bought a single car... a Porsche 911
UserPostedImage

The full layout after adding the small gravel path and painting the road (still drying)
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by KyneSilverhide
Offline JohnjeanB  
#22 Posted : 21 September 2020 16:35:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi KyneSilverhide
I like your layout. It is very neatly done and -pardon for saying this- and brings fresh simplicity that we had when starting railroading. This is a compliment.
Bravo the landscape is great.
Jean