Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2020 00:10:43(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking out for by way of Z scale vehicles for my layout?

Until recently, I had some cars I'd found on ebay. They were inexpensive, and not too disagreeable once the flash had been removed from the mouldings and a few details picked out in contrasting paint, but at 1:200 they were overscale and I wasn't happy with how they looked on the layout.

I've since replaced them with Marklin 8904 which once cleaned up, resprayed and detailed look pretty good. I also found an old 8903 set of commercial vehicles which, given the same treatment, had added dome useful variety to the road traffic.

Doing a bit of digging around on the internet, it seems that these two sets were actually manufactured by Noch (or at least use Noch tooling) and Noch used to manufacture a few different Z Scale models, alas no longer available.

I'm hoping someone here can suggest other manufacturers who have made Z scale vehicles in the past? I suspect Viking used to, maybe others, but any names would be helpful so I can keep an eye out for anything that might crop up used on ebay.

Thanks and take care

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2020 02:41:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

What kind of models are you looking for your layout? European (EU), English? What era are you modeling?

The Marklin and Noch vehicles are highly detailed and scaled right. Sometimes, you can see right thru the plastic.

I am modeling German/European and I have a few of the Marklin and many more Noch trucks/delivery vehicles etc. I have really found the metal z vehicles from the EU a great addition with a variety of models including tanks, tractors, delivery vehicles and autos from many different era’s represented. They usually start at about $8 on EBay. I could recommend you consider purchasing a few to see what you think. User is csikape which lists from England and simonartz from Germany. Shipping can add a bit to the cost, I usually get two because shipping is the same. A few things, no rolling wheels, windows are painted in, lights cannot be added, and each is handmade and might not be as exact as you would like. Remember, these are viewed from a distance.

To me, when added to the layout, they look pretty good and stay in place when working on or cleaning up your track.

Best wishes.
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2020 10:18:16(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Have you tried http://trafofuchs.de/index_en.htm ?

Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2020 13:51:58(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm familiar with neither csikape, nor Trafofuchs and they do seem to have some interesting items. I particularly liked the market stalls that Trafofuchs are offering. I wonder if there is space on my layout for a few of those?

My layout is set in Europe (Spain to be precise) in contemporary times. As for what I'm looking for, I'm not entirely sure - it's very much a case of "I'll know when I see it". However some delivery trucks would be a nice addition - the Noch 4737 set would fit in nicely, but I can't find one anywhere!

Thanks again, all the best

Chris
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2020 18:24:31(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hi Chris,

I'm in the same boat keeping an eye out for vehicles and other items that match the Era 1 of my layout. Considering the small size of Z scale, the amount of detail that the vehicles should have is an interesting question and I think is influenced by the overall size of the layout (much more difficult/time consuming to have fine detail modelling on a relatively large layout) and the tolerance for lack of detail of the layout builder.

I have found this German Z scale specific Trainini magazine quite helpful since it shows a lot of the various products available in Z scale, many from small specialized manufacturers:

Trainini Magazine

Hope this helps.

Ralph.

Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2020 19:42:56(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, back in the 80s Noch did a considerable number of Trucks, drawbar types as well as artic. Vans and cars and emergency vehicles. Here’s some postal vehicles they use to do?
https://www.picclickimg....ub-Post-LKW-von-Noch.jpg
Kibri still do there truck kits?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114158284434
Also, over the years and recently, I have noticed Marklin do some very nice little metal vehicle sets?
They are expensive unfortunately.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293106650140
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2020 22:37:55(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

I'm in the same boat keeping an eye out for vehicles and other items that match the Era 1 of my layout. Considering the small size of Z scale, the amount of detail that the vehicles should have is an interesting question and I think is influenced by the overall size of the layout (much more difficult/time consuming to have fine detail modelling on a relatively large layout) and the tolerance for lack of detail of the layout builder.

I have found this German Z scale specific Trainini magazine quite helpful since it shows a lot of the various products available in Z scale, many from small specialized manufacturers:

Trainini Magazine

Hope this helps.

Ralph.

I am a firm advocate of the "view from a distance" philosophy, but I also like to do my best to make my models bear closer examination. Here, for example, are some cars and vans from the Marklin 8903/8904s set I re-sprayed, decorated and "weathered".

[img]IMG_2988.JPG[/img]

The link that Carim posted to the TrafoFuchs website might be of interest to you - they seem to have some early era models, and their shipping charges to the US are very reasonable, too.

Warm regards to everyone!

Chris

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2020 22:40:08(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi, back in the 80s Noch did a considerable number of Trucks, drawbar types as well as artic. Vans and cars and emergency vehicles. Here’s some postal vehicles they use to do?
https://www.picclickimg....ub-Post-LKW-von-Noch.jpg
Kibri still do there truck kits?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114158284434
Also, over the years and recently, I have noticed Marklin do some very nice little metal vehicle sets?
They are expensive unfortunately.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293106650140

Thanks for the information. I particularly like the look of those Noch Postal vehicles!

All the best!

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Bill Dickson  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2020 20:43:02(UTC)
Bill Dickson

United Kingdom   
Have you tried looking on Shapeways where you can find IVECO trucks in 1:220. Expensive but good quality.
https://www.shapeways.co...q=iveco&type=product

Edited by user 08 September 2020 14:49:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2020 20:50:27(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Offline Bill Dickson  
#11 Posted : 08 September 2020 19:44:53(UTC)
Bill Dickson

United Kingdom   
You could also contact Alvaro Cortez (alvaro_mcortez@hotmail.com) and ask for his list of vehicles. The list that I have is from 2017 and runs to 4 sides of A4.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:03:05(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions - I'll check them out.

I have to say I have avoided 3D printed items as I don't trust my own painting. However, as I am repainting and "detailing" the Marklin items, you could point out this is a pretty empty excuse!

Thanks again

Chris
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:03:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
I am a firm advocate of the "view from a distance" philosophy, but I also like to do my best to make my models bear closer examination. Here, for example, are some cars and vans from the Marklin 8903/8904s set I re-sprayed, decorated and "weathered".

Absolutely excellent!

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:24:02(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 08 September 2020 22:09:32(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
https://jmc-scalemodels.blogspot.com/

Thanks very much! Suddenly it seems I'm spoilt for choice!