Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ross  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2020 02:06:58(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

When was the last time you checked your stored locomotives?

UserPostedImage

I noticed the foam in the box for the 37990 Big Boy had a few holes in it and on closer inspection it just disintegrated when I tried to remove it from the wooden box.
Ross
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline ixldoc  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2020 02:50:41(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Ross,
I have a friend with one of these stored in it's box.I will warn him to check it immediately.
Howard.
Offline Ross  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2020 04:31:52(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Howard,

I wonder how many people have had this problem.
I won't replace it with something else but just leave a nice air gap around the loco.

Originally Posted by: ixldoc Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ross,
I have a friend with one of these stored in it's box.I will warn him to check it immediately.
Howard.

Ross
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2020 06:56:29(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

When was the last time you checked your stored locomotives?

I noticed the foam in the box for the 37990 Big Boy had a few holes in it and on closer inspection it just disintegrated when I tried to remove it from the wooden box.

Hello Ross,

It seems “foam” has a propensity to disintegrate over the years (the first part of this old post is the relevant bit) :

https://www.marklin-user...rack-problems#post515769

Regards,

PJ
Offline Ross  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2020 10:02:58(UTC)
Ross

Australia   

Hi PJ,

Yes it would seem that foam is a problem.
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2020 10:35:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I never leave locos in boxes. I just run them on a regular basis. If for some reason you can not have the use of a layout then a display cabinet should be ok plus you can actually see them.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2020 11:01:59(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
It is the same with light seals on the doors of old cameras. Beware, if it becomes sticky when it disintegrates it can be difficult to remove.
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2020 11:55:11(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I would like to point out the import of the temperature and humidity of the place those boxes are stored.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2020 13:28:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
My 4013 Big Boy spent much of its time in its box in Paris mild climate
Its box is excellent but the black velvet foam is less elastic than before.
IMG_4815.JPG
I assume (hope) that it does not deteriorate the loco which -so far- looks brand new
Cheers
Jean
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2020 14:05:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The foam for my 4013 is still intact but it feels different - almost damp to the touch. I assume that is the beginning of the end for it and I should probably just remove it before it ends up like the mess Ross has.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2020 14:28:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Howard,

I won't replace it with something else but just leave a nice air gap around the loco.

I would be wary of doing that, I think the foam holds the loco down when the box is closed. If you don't have the foam and turn the box upside down the loco will fall on its roof. You need something at the ends of the board the loco is bolted to to hold the board down if turned over.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ross  
#12 Posted : 08 September 2020 00:08:53(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Alan,

The lid has wood at both ends that extends past the box edge so when the box is closed it holds the loco mounting plate in a firm position.
I have done the shake test and it passed.

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi Howard,

I would be wary of doing that, I think the foam holds the loco down when the box is closed. If you don't have the foam and turn the box upside down the loco will fall on its roof. You need something at the ends of the board the loco is bolted to to hold the board down if turned over.

Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline klarinettmeister  
#13 Posted : 08 September 2020 11:43:24(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I've checked all my BBs and I´ve also noted that the foam inserts changes over time.
The 37990 is a little bit sticky so I´ve put some extra plastic between the foam and the wood and also some extra plastic bags on top of the loco. I´ve done it to 37991 and 37993.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 08 September 2020 18:55:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Alan,

The lid has wood at both ends that extends past the box edge so when the box is closed it holds the loco mounting plate in a firm position.
I have done the shake test and it passed.

Ah, OK, I went back to look at your photo, and yes, can see the pieces on closer inspection.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ross  
#15 Posted : 08 September 2020 23:08:27(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi David,

Keep checking your locos as when I tried to remove it to find out how bad the foam was I found it had glued to the box lid in places and felt like tar or very sticky oil and was extremely difficult to remove.

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
I've checked all my BBs and I´ve also noted that the foam inserts changes over time.
The 37990 is a little bit sticky so I´ve put some extra plastic between the foam and the wood and also some extra plastic bags on top of the loco. I´ve done it to 37991 and 37993.

Ross
Offline Dave Banks  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2020 00:20:48(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I pulled my BB out of storage today & found the issue you have mentioned. I don't want it to come to a situation like Ross has found himself with. I hasn't got to the stage of being a huge issue but I am taking steps to fix it. I will trundle down to the local Foam shop & ask him to cut me some new foam that is not going to "bio-degrade" if I can use that term & not let it get to the stage of becoming a sticky mess. I will keep you updated on this if you like with a picture of the pending outcome.
Dave...
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline klarinettmeister  
#17 Posted : 09 September 2020 00:30:05(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Hi Ross!

I noted the foam in 37990 and 37993 had started getting sticky already. I'll probably remove them. It's a shame they don't last that long. It seems there are no perfect boxing solutions really.

It's really good you raise the problem here. It's probably gonna be the same problem with the Challenger's...

/David

Hi David,

Keep checking your locos as when I tried to remove it to find out how bad the foam was I found it had glued to the box lid in places and felt like tar or very sticky oil and was extremely difficult to remove.

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline foumaro  
#18 Posted : 09 September 2020 05:19:38(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have 37992 and 37993,the foams and all packing are in parfect condition in the closets and both locomotives are in perfect condition in the display cases.It is to early to worry about the two Challengers,i will inspect them later.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Dave Banks  
#19 Posted : 12 September 2020 05:23:44(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well once I pulled the old foam out it was one bloody sticky mess. To my horror the instruction books & pamphlets were all covered in this oily mess as they were underneath the old foam. So I printed out what I could replace & binned the rest. This is the not so professional but functional result. Total cost AU$15.00 for foam & cutting. Its good to go for a long time now.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

D.A.Banks
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Ross  
#20 Posted : 12 September 2020 06:41:58(UTC)
Ross

Australia   

Hi Dave,

Glad my prompt has helped save the loco. I haven't worried about new foam but would use your same method if the loco was to be transported by mail or courier which I don't think will happen soon. Maybe use thin felt cloth as a separator between loco and foam?

Ross
Offline Dave Banks  
#21 Posted : 12 September 2020 07:23:00(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Hi Ross, you certainly have been the savior. I recon the climate we are in is a contributing factor especially in the summer. The loco has a flat piece of plastic & when covered with that the foam just lets it slide past. Without the plastic I can imagine it would not slide past easily. The sponge holds the wooden base plate in place so no need for foam on the top of the loco. I suggest you guys address the issue before your spending hours trying to take the old sponge out & destroying all the booklets hidden under it. It reminds me of when we had bio degradable shoes in Australia. The mess sticky residue are very similar if left for too long.

Dave...

D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks