Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2020 05:31:22(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
What can I say, I'm having a bad luck streak. I received the supposedly new Marklin 88943 and of course it has "issues".
But first off I should say it is easily the most detailed Marklin tank loco I have ever seen, wow! This is an amazing piece of work. Really beautiful. Mine suffers from very dim lighting but it is a nice correct yellowish lighting so very scalelike. The issue I have/had with mine is when running in reverse the moving parts are jamming. I am not sure what to call it but it is the center wheel drive a shaft which goes into the cylinder, so on a real loco the main shaft. But on this little guy it is just the shaft that goes in and out of the cylinder casting for appearances. On this shaft is a square protrusion and all these little locos seem to have that. Note that this is an older loco from 2008/9 so not super detailed running gear like they have now. But on mine that small piece is jamming against a part of the body that hangs down (only when running in reverse) and when that happens the show is over. I have to push the parts apart to free it and allow it to run again. On disassembly it became obvious I am not the first to work on this loco, chewed up screw heads (who does that?), bent running gear parts, a bent coupler spring, chunks of CYA adhesive!, the white glue from the factory tape sticky and gooey and all over the place, too much oil everywhere, etc. I pretty much had to disassemble everything, clean it up, bend some metal running gear parts to square or straight again, scrape away excess CYA glue (and reapply and set a pinhead size drop where it was needed, where a metal frame part is inserted into the chassis), and retime the gear. Not easy with five driven wheels. I then ran the loco fwd and rev on my test track for an hour. Now it is running reliably and smoothly, brushes broken in. It did bind up again once which is a vast improvement over out of the box but still not perfect. I tweaked the protrusion on the drive shaft a bit more to help it clear the chassis. But this is the first time I have seen this issue, amazing how many things can go wrong with these little jewels! Those free floating running gear parts are so floppy I don't see how I can ever ensure it won't bind again.
Hopefully there is a special place in "..." for dealers that sell "new" Z scale locos that don't run well and have obviously been worked on, unsuccessfully. Because I have bought a bunch of them! Beware of Discount Trains. Maybe call first if you buy there. This being a rare loco now I had no choice but it is interesting that they had the 88942 as well but for about $50 more, since I couldn't really tell the difference between the two locos I opted for savings but now I think I can guess why they were priced so far apart.
I guess I spent about 2 hours, maybe more, figuring out and fixing this loco. I am getting better at timing the gears but may not be perfect at it. I do the best I can and ensure the links between the wheels all have play in them. If they can all move back and forth the distance of the elongated holes at the pins I call it good and then they seem to run fine. I need to get some thin brass strip and make clamps for those electrical wheel contact strips because the hardest part is every time you move a wheel the contacts spring back out from behind the wheels.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2020 07:02:44(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Sorry to hear about your issues, but your tale reminds us all about what we can run into. It seems vendors don’t always spend much time or know much about their products. I imagine the smallest scale can easily scare them off. It is a life saver for us buyers to keep ahead of them. Glad you got it working reasonably well. Two hours goes fast and somehow having a positive outcome confirms it was worth the effort. I am not certain that extra brass idea is a good one, sometime these type modifications can make matters worse It is possible something is just out of wack and needs to be adjusted back where it belongs. New parts may been needed if things are too far gone.

I have heard z scale is not always to specification right from Marklin. I believe most if not all, current production is from Hungary and is better quality than it was in the past. In your case, think it was your dealer who added the extra adhesive?

Those five drive wheels are not easy to get set correctly, but actually any quartering is an anxiety drill. I have a Br86 which I still don’t have perfect, if there is such a thing. I always think if I could just get it adjusted one gear tooth over, it would be perfect, but it never seems to happen. Do you think having six fingers. instead of five would help, it might. Oh well.

I have been looking at this model, I seem to be attracted to the tank engines too. No reason to pull around that coal tender, just an extra car.

Best wishes
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2020 08:00:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
It is a beautiful engine if you ever get the chance. I think tank engines were more popular in Europe than here due to the typically shorter distances travelled between stops. They are cool to me, self contained vehicles.
The brass idea is to make "U" shaped clamps to hold the spring type wheel contacts tight to the chassis during the timing process, or to hold the gears that go between the drive axles in place, to be removed after assembly. I think solid copper wire would be good for that. Maybe hammer the wire into strips so they would be thin and flat then and not get caught in the gear teeth. Just a helper bent for the job.
I guess I give dealers the benefit of the doubt, they're not devious they are just passing items from hand to hand maybe. Maybe they avoid inspecting the loco's to avoid becoming responsible for their condition. And we all know new in the box Marklin loco's often don't run either, look at my experience with the 8889.
The best dealers inspect and repair if necessary, you know exactly what you are getting and can expect a good running loco. But you have to pay a premium for that kind of care and attention. Most of my purchases have been rather impulsive though, and in the case of older loco's there's often no other choice in availability.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2020 14:29:11(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Sorry to hear you've had more problems, and even sorrier to hear your dealer seems to have been less than honest with you. You must have the patience of a saint as I would have had that loco heading straight back to them once I saw it wasn't unused!

The very first 88943 I bought had exactly this issue and went straight back to the dealer. I'm not sure if it was repaired or replaced, but its running has been as sweet as a nut ever since.

I also had the same problem with my 88942 after I took it apart to replace the lamp with a CKLED module. I think the coupling rod gear can get slightly misaligned and this causes it to catch although I don't know the exact procedure for aligning it correctly.

Beware running the loco upside down for wheel cleaning purposes, as this can make this binding more likely to happen.

Regarding wheel quartering, it seems to me this is always a compromise as there is so much slack in the gearing that in a 5 axle locomotive with everything nicely lined up in one direction, there can be almost 90 degrees of misalignment between first and fifth axle in the other. In practise this varies depending on which axle is driven. In the 88943, I think the fourth axle is driven, so there's potential for quite a bit of slop between the first an fourth axle.

As you bought the loco on my recommendation, I feel slightly responsible for the problems you're having, but I'm sure you'll get it running to your satisfaction and I'm sure you'll be delighted by how much the little thing can haul!

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2020 18:04:14(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I like working on these little puzzles! To be sure I like it best when they run well out of the box but that is never guaranteed in Z land and it makes it interesting. Also I love the forum because I can share my experiences and hear yours. That you have seen this issue proves there is a flaw in this design and confirms my suspicion that someone else tried to solve it, but too bad they don’t have my remarkable skills!
I feel like a detective, case closed, LOL.
Which CKled did you install and are you happy with the result? I have only used HTM leds in the past but I want to try CKled. Did you find the results worthwhile? I’ve also found leds are not a guarantee of brighter lighting but this loco could really use some help in this department.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2020 19:23:56(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I like working on these little puzzles! To be sure I like it best when they run well out of the box but that is never guaranteed in Z land and it makes it interesting.

I wonder if the US brands suffer the same inconsistent quality problems or if it is peculiar to Marklin Z land?

Which CKled did you install and are you happy with the result? I have only used HTM leds in the past but I want to try CKled. Did you find the results worthwhile? I’ve also found leds are not a guarantee of brighter lighting but this loco could really use some help in this department.

I used the single colour white CKLED (The Red/White module has just one LED of each colour whilst the white has two white LEDs, so will be brighter). The illumination definitely starts at lower speed than with the incandescent lamp and is generally brighter, but there's not a huge difference. I have an 88943 I've not yet got round to modifying (for reasons you have discovered) so I could do a short video of the two side by side for you to see for yourself if it would be helpful.

All the best

Chris

Edited by user 28 August 2020 15:40:24(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling correction

Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2020 03:31:59(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for the reply I’ll try it in white/white as this loco doesn’t have lights on the rear anyway. I have some clear orange Tamiya paint to make it a bit more old looking.
I have had great results with AZL and also I have an MTL loco and it runs well. I have many more Marklin locos but I do enjoy running a nice looong double headed consist of heavy American iron. Oh, the AZL Mikado is a great American steam loco too! All my American stuff runs American MTL style couplers. One of my best runners is a Rokuhan European loco that came with Marklin couplers.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 23 August 2020 12:16:48(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the reply I’ll try it in white/white as this loco doesn’t have lights on the rear anyway. I have some clear orange Tamiya paint to make it a bit more old looking.

One thing I should have mentioned is that, when fitted to 88943, the CKLED module is set quite a way back from the lightpipe. I extended the module a few mm with a piece of 1mm styrene sheet with a piece of self-adhesive copper tape on each side to make contact. I also painted the light pipe black in the buffer beam area to reduce the amount of light leakage that occurs there.

Quote:

I have had great results with AZL and also I have an MTL loco and it runs well. I have many more Marklin locos but I do enjoy running a nice looong double headed consist of heavy American iron. Oh, the AZL Mikado is a great American steam loco too! All my American stuff runs American MTL style couplers. One of my best runners is a Rokuhan European loco that came with Marklin couplers.

I should check out some of the US manufactured locos. I have to say I have been disappointed with the quality control of Marklin. It's rare to have a loco which runs flawlessly out of the box.

All the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline blid  
#9 Posted : 23 August 2020 12:34:07(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I suggest that you buy from a dealer, like z.scale.hobo, who test the locos before shipping. I wish all dealers did that regardless of where they are in the world.
blid
Edit:
OK. I know this is of topic but there was a question about AZL. My experience is that they are like Marklin and just ship the items. It is up to the recipient to find out if the item is OK – if they want to. Most online dealers just forward the item as is.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Online parakiet  
#10 Posted : 23 August 2020 13:58:17(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Online is always a risk. Even if you can return, the shipping (bought and sent back) will sting.
Most of the time it is better to try to fix it yourself. Or bring it to a local repair guy.

If you bought it 'live' just take it back and demand a refund.

If you got it from ebay: give feedback!

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 23 August 2020 20:22:55(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
I suggest that you buy from a dealer, like z.scale.hobo, who test the locos before shipping. I wish all dealers did that regardless of where they are in the world.
blid
Edit:
OK. I know this is of topic but there was a question about AZL. My experience is that they are like Marklin and just ship the items. It is up to the recipient to find out if the item is OK – if they want to. Most online dealers just forward the item as is.

I was going to say that z.scale.hobo are not as convenient for me, but I see you're no closer than I am!

I usually try and support our UK distributor (Gaugemaster) by buying from them, though I have to say they don't seem to check items before they send them on. Unfortunately, they are two hours drive from me so buying in person is not really an option, and I don't think they test in-store purchases, either.

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
Online is always a risk. Even if you can return, the shipping (bought and sent back) will sting.
Most of the time it is better to try to fix it yourself. Or bring it to a local repair guy.

If you bought it 'live' just take it back and demand a refund.

If you got it from ebay: give feedback!

I have bought a few items (including my first 88943) from Modellbahnshop-Lippe and they don't charge shipping for high value items and provide a returns label if it's faulty, so the only problem there is the usual Marklin pot luck and the inconvenience of a trip to the post office!

I made one purchase from Alpha Model's in Waterloo, and they were very helpful and it is one of the few items to work perfectly out of the box - maybe they do test before shipping?

All the best

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 26 August 2020 23:08:11(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I fear this is verging on self-promotion, but at the beginning of this film is my layout, and my original 88943, doing sterling work as usual.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7qTGIqGoRU

Hope it’s of interest and relevant...

Cheers

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 27 August 2020 00:28:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

I like it,I like it a lot!

Scenery is fantastic, gotta like those trees. The loop backs and tunnels use your space effectively, but what happens at the top? They turn around up there?

You have to admit, the old 216 is a great puller too.

Take good care

Dwight
Online parakiet  
#14 Posted : 27 August 2020 06:35:06(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

I have bought a few items (including my first 88943) from Modellbahnshop-Lippe and they don't charge shipping for high value items and provide a returns label if it's faulty, so the only problem there is the usual Marklin pot luck and the inconvenience of a trip to the post office!

Also bought some loco's there. Didn't had to sent em back. However, they don't keep a lot of stock. So I guess the items are really new new there :)

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 27 August 2020 21:45:12(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I like it,I like it a lot!

Scenery is fantastic, gotta like those trees. The loop backs and tunnels use your space effectively, but what happens at the top? They turn around up there?

You have to admit, the old 216 is a great puller too.

Take good care

Dwight

Thank you, that's very kind. The trees are cheap things I bought from ebay, that I re-coloured by covering them in Woodland Scenics fine ground foam. I think I calculated nearly 2000 trees, which didn't cost much, but which I spent a lot of time treating!

At the top there is a helix which brings everything back down to ground level and round to the station again.

That's a recent BR216 - 88786 - which pulls well, but nowhere near as well as the older 8874 (of which I now have two) which is half as heavy again. Sometimes I double head these and couple up a 15 coach train behind them, which really looks pretty impressive!

Cheers

Chris
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 27 August 2020 21:48:53(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Also bought some loco's there. Didn't had to sent em back. However, they don't keep a lot of stock. So I guess the items are really new new there :)

They're a good retailer - very price competitive and excellent service in my experience. I'd buy more from them, but I like to support our UK supplier, even though it works out quite a bit more expensive. I've really noticed the difference since the pound became worth next to nothing!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Zme  
#17 Posted : 27 August 2020 23:54:04(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Sweet layout, I would like to see the track plan if you have it. A layout with grades such as your must be carefully planned and executed precisely. My layout has a challenging grade which I assumed would be gradual enough. I does require planning and the use of more smaller single axle wagons for real long trains but I enjoy it anyway.

Double headers are nice, sometimes a double up a couple of 110s and add about eight or ten coal cars. Or I use two 160s from the 81411 set, as the gypsum cars have less rolling resistance.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#18 Posted : 28 August 2020 15:38:08(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello

Sweet layout, I would like to see the track plan if you have it. A layout with grades such as your must be carefully planned and executed precisely. My layout has a challenging grade which I assumed would be gradual enough. I does require planning and the use of more smaller single axle wagons for real long trains but I enjoy it anyway.

Double headers are nice, sometimes a double up a couple of 110s and add about eight or ten coal cars. Or I use two 160s from the 81411 set, as the gypsum cars have less rolling resistance.

Take good care.

Dwight

There's not much precision in the building of the layout, let me assure you, but I did plan the gradients quite carefully, having determined that anything more than 3% was going to present a problem, even with the fairly short trains I was planning on running.

Track plan is below - I've separated out the visible and hidden sections for the sake of clarity.

CM Plan.jpgCM Plan_2.jpg

The layout was inspired by the Ferrocarril de Sóller on the Mediterranean Island of Mallorca, which really does double-back on itself as it climbs the mountainside.

Hope this is of interest

Chris
Zme
Offline Zme  
#19 Posted : 28 August 2020 16:28:36(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

That is impressive. I think I could watch trains on this layout for a long time, I likely notice more and more details. Great job. Like i said earlier, I like it a lot.

What are the dimensions?

My layout is about 2 foot by 10 foot but lacks impressive vertical lift. It is my first attempt. A simple “dog bone” circuit. I am inspired by yours, perhaps I need to make some expensive changes.

You know the double backs are even used in Germany, up in the mountains in the south. When the destination is Berchtesgaden the mountains get very steep.

Thanks Chris.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#20 Posted : 28 August 2020 17:16:06(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi

That is impressive. I think I could watch trains on this layout for a long time, I likely notice more and more details. Great job. Like i said earlier, I like it a lot.

Thank you very much. Although it's essentially single track it has quite good operating interest. At exhibitions, I tend to set up a train running in one direction (or two if I'm feeling reckless) and drive another train in the opposite direction, waiting at the passing loops as required. This maintains a fair level of movement to keep spectators interested. Surprisingly intense to operate, though!

Quote:
What are the dimensions?

It's 2m (6'6") wide by 600mm (2') deep plus the lump at the back for the helix.

Quote:
My layout is about 2 foot by 10 foot but lacks impressive vertical lift. It is my first attempt. A simple “dog bone” circuit. I am inspired by yours, perhaps I need to make some expensive changes.

Sounds good - I wish I had space for something that size. Do you have any photos to share? I like the "dog bone" configuration, in fact I have something of that nature planned for my next layout. This is my first layout since I was a teenager, but has been 40 years in the planning, which is why I wanted to throw everything in!

Quote:
You know the double backs are even used in Germany, up in the mountains in the south. When the destination is Berchtesgaden the mountains get very steep.

I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense. I can see the attraction of modelling Swiss railways for just that reason.

All the best

Chris

Offline husafreak  
#21 Posted : 28 August 2020 18:12:50(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Nice layout and thanks for posting, in fact I enjoyed watching all the layouts on that video.
Offline Zme  
#22 Posted : 28 August 2020 22:43:26(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. You know it is said the camera adds 10 pounds. Well in your case The camera added 10 feet to your layout. It gave me the impression of a much longer run, which is a good thing.

Like I have always said, sometime the best ideas come about, the longer you think or plan on it. Responding to your first ideas may not result in the best outcome. It is easy to see the extra time you spent planning paid off with an excellent result!

I have not been in Germany since the middle 80s. I lived in Goeppingen for three years. As I recall, traveling from Munchen to Berchtesgaden there is a place nearer to Berchtesgaden where the train stops on something like a siding. This comes from a time of constant climbing. The wagons are unhitched from the engine and the engine is shifted to the other side of the wagons before proceeding I consider this a switch back although it is different than what you modeled with tunnels and sweeping curves.

I have videos and photos of my track, but don’t know how to post them. This is something I need to figure out.

Take good care, enjoy your trains.

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#23 Posted : 29 August 2020 02:54:32(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
My favorite thing about your layout is my favorite thing about Z scale. It looks real! To me Z scale is the perfect balance of detail and distances, your layout absolutely capitalizes on this effect.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#24 Posted : 29 August 2020 13:33:59(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
My favorite thing about your layout is my favorite thing about Z scale. It looks real! To me Z scale is the perfect balance of detail and distances, your layout absolutely capitalizes on this effect.

I love those micro "rabbit-warren" layouts where you don't know where the train is going to appear next, but I'm in agreement with you - for me the attraction of Z is that you don't have to have it cluttered with tracks and can get a sense of a railway within a landscape.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Zme  
#25 Posted : 29 August 2020 23:55:45(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. This is a test of photo posting

UserPostedImage

This is my Esso tank area on the left side of my dogbone layout if you find it interesting. Tried others but after upload, were upside down.

This one is rather small, so I will make another larger one.

Thanks
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#26 Posted : 30 August 2020 00:14:15(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi. This is a test of photo posting

UserPostedImage

This is my Esso tank area on the left side of my dogbone layout if you find it interesting. Tried others but after upload, were upside down.

This one is rather small, so I will make another larger one.

Thanks

That looks great - and so much detail! You've even ballasted your track, which has been a step too far for me! More photos, please!

Chris
Offline Zme  
#27 Posted : 30 August 2020 00:15:15(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi another test, this one a bit larger image

This is back straight run on dogbone. Br55 with string of coal cars. I think these engine are used on passenger trains most often

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...F-A660-68A7A4332011.jpeg

Thanks

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#28 Posted : 30 August 2020 00:30:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Another shot of station and custom railbus

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...2-BA2B-6276A1458F8A.jpeg

Thanks
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#29 Posted : 30 August 2020 19:19:48(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
That’s a really nice layout, and loads of detail - I need to up my game! Particularly impressed with the trees and vegetation which is unusually realistic for Z scale.

Nice work!!

Chris
Offline Zme  
#30 Posted : 05 September 2020 06:11:26(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Hope you find this photo of the right side of my layout interesting. I call the church in the middle, Church on the Rocks. This was my first archistories gothic church model. The mill by the river was my second card stock type model. The mill wheel turns, but it is to noisy so I don’t use it. As the train makes this circle it goes out of sight and doesn’t come into view again until the bridge on the upper left. The two castles are real tourist attractions so I added a train stop. This kit was a station but was not complete but had enough parts to build the platform and stop. The one on right is a ruin, I think a Noch item. The other is Lichtenstein castle.

Best wishes.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...1-B0D8-A250271C493E.jpeg

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#31 Posted : 06 September 2020 15:07:37(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello

Hope you find this photo of the right side of my layout interesting.

Love it! There's so much interest and detail packed in, there's always something new to discover! You've done a great job with the water too - something I've not attempted yet!

I miss having a double track - I love seeing trains passing each other! If I can work out the practicalities, my next layout will be a double track main-line running along a river valley, so I'll get to model water, too!

Cheers

Chris

Online parakiet  
#32 Posted : 06 September 2020 20:35:40(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
you guys have some nice layouts!

I just scored a turntable on ebay.. so i'm changing my layout plan. Really considering a long dogbone layout Huh
Offline hxmiesa  
#33 Posted : 06 September 2020 21:32:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
you guys have some nice layouts!
I just scored a turntable on ebay.. so i'm changing my layout plan. Really considering a long dogbone layout Huh

No need to consider anymore. (Crushed) Dogbone is definitely the way to go! IMHO ThumpUp

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Zme  
#34 Posted : 07 September 2020 06:08:03(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

An inspiration for a hilly layout. Geislingen Grade. The red 151 always traveling past the camera is a helper loco because the grade is so steep, it attaches and pushes the train up the hill.

Enjoy.

Dwight
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 07 September 2020 14:16:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi

An inspiration for a hilly layout. Geislingen Grade. The red 151 always traveling past the camera is a helper loco because the grade is so steep, it attaches and pushes the train up the hill.

Enjoy.

Dwight

I lost track of how often it went past ...

I was intrigued that one train of tankers went past running "wrong track" (just after the 13 minute mark).
Offline Zme  
#36 Posted : 07 September 2020 20:09:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. I suppose, direction of travel is more dependent on if the track is unoccupied. It is interesting.

This is just a small view of this Geislingen Grade. There are many others on YouTube.

In addition to the great loco views, the way the track hugs the cliffs and then finally turns out of view as descending down is dramatic.

That 151 can connect and disconnect on the move.

On another topic, I thought I could fit a transfer table into my layout but have yet to spring for one. I have an itch for a table but I haven’t got the scratch, so to speak. BigGrin Good luck with that turntable, should be an interesting project.

Take good care

Dwight