Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2020 03:19:34(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The new Marklin 88889 steam loco "on the pedestal" is out now after a long wait. I got one and returned it but its replacement has the same problem, namely, the motor can turn without driving the wheels. I'll let you all know how it goes. The shop is a very well known and reputable Marklin dealer here in the states and they are looking into the problem. But beware, the loco may run OK unloaded but when cars are added the motor, pinion gear, and a secondary gear (visible from the sides of the chassis) can turn without engaging the wheel drive gears. So the train will not move. I've not seen this before.
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2020 06:41:31(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
hope it gets sorted out. Not a cheap loco!
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2020 15:31:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Kind of funny that it comes with a repair stand!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2020 23:37:04(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
The new Marklin 88889 steam loco "on the pedestal" is out now after a long wait. I got one and returned it but its replacement has the same problem, namely, the motor can turn without driving the wheels. I'll let you all know how it goes. The shop is a very well known and reputable Marklin dealer here in the states and they are looking into the problem. But beware, the loco may run OK unloaded but when cars are added the motor, pinion gear, and a secondary gear (visible from the sides of the chassis) can turn without engaging the wheel drive gears. So the train will not move. I've not seen this before.

Hi! I have one of these myself and whilst I'm on my second model (for reasons that might be somewhat self-inflicted) I've not seen the problem you describe. I am disappointed by its haulage (a recurring theme for me), but that's all. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2020 04:30:57(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
On mine I can put it on my test stand, hold the wheels and apply 9v power and the motor will run and I can see the gears at the motor turning. Or on the track with 4 small Era 2 passenger cars it will not move but I can hear the motor running and feel a vibration.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2020 13:45:36(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
On mine I can put it on my test stand, hold the wheels and apply 9v power and the motor will run and I can see the gears at the motor turning. Or on the track with 4 small Era 2 passenger cars it will not move but I can hear the motor running and feel a vibration.

I just test run my loco and it was a huge relief for me, but no consolation for you to find it didn't suffer this problem at all! With the loco on the track and power applied I could apply downward pressure on the loco and the wheels would continue to turn so there's no slipping gears there!

I hope you manage to get this resolved to your satisfaction - it really is a handsome loco which I'm sure you'll grow to love once you have one that runs properly!

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2020 19:55:22(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Yeah it’s a nice loco for sure. And anytime you have hand painted details like the boiler bands here it increases the value. I didn’t have a 2-10-2 in my collection either.

I had theorized that an undersized pinion May have been installed but my dealer thinks that is very unlikely. Sorry but I had hoped they would al have this problem thereby forcing Marklin to take action, like a product recall. Now I know that won’t happen. On the other hand this increases the chance that it is a simple fix. And I’m not too put out, I’ve never had a Z scale loco that I wasn’t able to get running.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2020 23:37:47(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Yeah it’s a nice loco for sure. And anytime you have hand painted details like the boiler bands here it increases the value. I didn’t have a 2-10-2 in my collection either.

I had theorized that an undersized pinion May have been installed but my dealer thinks that is very unlikely. Sorry but I had hoped they would al have this problem thereby forcing Marklin to take action, like a product recall. Now I know that won’t happen. On the other hand this increases the chance that it is a simple fix. And I’m not too put out, I’ve never had a Z scale loco that I wasn’t able to get running.

Marklin do seem to be marketing their models as collectables these days, which makes me wonder if many of them are never run, and that is why Marklin can get away with such poor quality control.

Like you, I've always managed to get my Z locos running, but sometimes at a cost and it's not something one should have to worry about with a brand new loco. I am too inclined to strip a loco down and try and find out what's wrong when I should sometimes just return it. On the other hand, my very limited experience of returning items to Marklin is that they do a good job of fixing it when you do, so if that's what happens with your loco, I would expect a good outcome, if after a bit of a wait.

I said that I fiddled with this loco too much myself. (I had problem with one of the bogies derailing and had removed it from the chassis which in turn had caused the wheels and reversing gear to get misaligned and... and... Like I say, better just to return a faulty item and not try to fix it yourself.) However, I do remember during this fiasco the wheels becoming disconnected from the drive. It made a terrible grating racket, so may not be the same as your problem but I think was due to wheels and gearing not being held tightly in the chassis. Whatever you do, don't unscrew anything, but have a look if the red "keeper plate" on the underside of the loco is fully located and engaged.

I am looking forward to 88931 being released - ostensibly the same loco without smoke deflectors - which I think is even more attractive, though I am resigned to it not being able to pull more than four bogie coaches around my layout. If you ever get the chance to buy an 88942/88943 0-10-0 don't hesitate to snap it up. Those models are lovely smooth runners and have the most amazing haulage power!

All the best, have a great weekend

Chris

Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2020 04:22:34(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Done! Got a -3 coming for a reasonable price. After your suggestion I found both at a dealer here in the US and a nice video of the 88943 on you tube. It really is something isn't it? Lots of stand out details and your recommendation was enough for me ;)
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2020 21:04:52(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Done! Got a -3 coming for a reasonable price. After your suggestion I found both at a dealer here in the US and a nice video of the 88943 on you tube. It really is something isn't it? Lots of stand out details and your recommendation was enough for me ;)

Excellent! I hope you love it as much as I do! I now have three 88943s and an 88942 - that's how much I love this model! I find it a particularly good choice for exhibition running - good slow speed operation, so none of those sprint starts, and I don't have to worry about how many coaches I couple up and whether it will be able to haul them up my 3% gradients (it will)!

Have fun!

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Bahner  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2020 06:13:29(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
My first Z scale locomotive purchase was the 88943 ThumpUp

As mentioned, this is a great loco and it has lots of hauling power due to the 5 driven axles. However, one thing to be mindful of is that because of the five rigid axles the loco has real difficulty with very tight radius curves.

Mine had a slight stutter at low speeds, so being adventurous I decided to take it apart (how hard could this be?). Well, I found this one very difficult to put back together properly since all wheels/axles must be aligned exactly in the same positions and then the metal contact strips are very challenging to position properly to contact the wheels. After about 10-12 tries (and a few choice mutterings) I finally got it back together again where it ran properly (I hope to never have to take it apart again).

Ralph.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline husafreak  
#12 Posted : 18 August 2020 05:15:16(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
My dealer heard back from Marklin that some 88889 locos may have been delivered with an issue with the bottom plate. My first was delivered with a loose plate (loose screws which i tightened before I returned it) but my second still suffered from slippage as delivered with a tight bottom plate. So I took the loco apart. I determined that the motor pinion drives a shaft with a worm drive and that was all good. But the bottom plate is warped! It is the red plastic type with sand pipes molded in. So it has a noticeable "fish belly" curve to it. The worm drive is centered over the center of that plate where the warp is at its greatest. This allows the gear that engages the worm gear to sit too low and disengage. To prove this I was able to run the loco and stop the wheels with finger pressure while the worm shaft continued to spin, as before, but after I applied pressure to the center of the plastic plate with a small screwdriver then I could not stop the wheels turning with my finger and that bogged the motor down finally! I spoke at length with my dealer and we will see what Marklin does, either replace the loco again or send me a true replacement bottom plate, either is fine with me.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#13 Posted : 18 August 2020 15:04:32(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I spoke at length with my dealer and we will see what Marklin does, either replace the loco again or send me a true replacement bottom plate, either is fine with me.

If you do opt for the second option, be very careful once the plate is removed. It is very easy (even without you really doing anything) for the wheels and/or gears to pop out of their pockets and become misaligned, leaving you with the horrible task of re-quartering the drive. I speak from bitter experience when I tell you this is a tedious and frustrating exercise and no fun whatsoever!

Glad that Marklin have responded and seem keen to resolve the issue, though.

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 18 August 2020 18:56:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Oh I’ve had it all part and yes quartering the drives and keeping track of the gears is a PITA. I always take pictures first to help me as well. These newer Marklin locos with additional drive parts just make it all that much more interesting too.
But that is the only way to really understand what is going on. That is how I could ensure that the worm gear is working properly. The plastic bottom plate has small “posts” which push the Driving gears into place, they become the lower bearing surface when assembled. So to me it seems obvious that the warp or bend in the plate allows the gears to displace vertically out of position and not engage precisely. This also contributes to some erratic running I saw because with weight on the wheels, on the track, they are pushed up into position, but when a load is applied it pushes them apart.
I should say that I was emboldened by the knowledge that the defect is noted by my dealer and Marklin so I could explore and then return it under warranty anyway.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 28 August 2020 15:58:33(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
My dealer heard back from Marklin that some 88889 locos may have been delivered with an issue with the bottom plate. My first was delivered with a loose plate (loose screws which i tightened before I returned it) but my second still suffered from slippage as delivered with a tight bottom plate. So I took the loco apart. I determined that the motor pinion drives a shaft with a worm drive and that was all good. But the bottom plate is warped! It is the red plastic type with sand pipes molded in. So it has a noticeable "fish belly" curve to it. The worm drive is centered over the center of that plate where the warp is at its greatest. This allows the gear that engages the worm gear to sit too low and disengage. To prove this I was able to run the loco and stop the wheels with finger pressure while the worm shaft continued to spin, as before, but after I applied pressure to the center of the plastic plate with a small screwdriver then I could not stop the wheels turning with my finger and that bogged the motor down finally! I spoke at length with my dealer and we will see what Marklin does, either replace the loco again or send me a true replacement bottom plate, either is fine with me.

I think I might have solved this mystery. Today I had to take mine apart for a different reason altogether, but that's another story. Anyway, after I had it back together again, it was suffering exactly the same problem you experienced. I'm surprised you didn't comment on the racket the grinding gears make!

Anyway, the rear bogey mounting feature a tiny brass bush and there is a recess in the chassis in which this bush sits. If the bush isn't properly located in the recess it prevents the baseplate from fully clamping and allows the gears not to engage. Whilst I had the baseplate off, I checked it for flatness and it has a similar slight bow as you described. I briefly popped it into some boiling water and then held it curved slightly in the opposite direction as it cooled and that seems to have corrected the problem.

I have to say, though, I am beginning to think there are some design problems with this loco and am loosing faith in it - I'd certainly not have enough confidence to run it at an exhibition. I suspect this is a model intended for collecting rather than running.

Cheers!

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#16 Posted : 28 August 2020 18:24:24(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I remember the bushing but not the recess in the chassis... I'll check to be sure I got that right. And yes the grinding gears are noisy. Remember stick shift automobiles? LOL My favorite least favorite sounding loco is an old track cleaning railbus, a 3 pole motor I think, wow, what a racket when that goes around the tracks!
I called my dealer yesterday to find out what we are going to do with these locos and of course the "train guy" has gone on vacation. The staff said they received word that Marklin will not be shipping parts but rather wants them returned to Germany for service. And the train guy will contact me when he gets back.
Offline husafreak  
#17 Posted : 28 August 2020 19:12:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I see the recess, yes, it would be easy to smash the copper piece into that and foul the tolerances. Are those power pickups? That is a very "fiddly" assembly step.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#18 Posted : 28 August 2020 20:26:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I see the recess, yes, it would be easy to smash the copper piece into that and foul the tolerances. Are those power pickups? That is a very "fiddly" assembly step.

I think the brass coloured “spring” is to tension the bogies and bias them centrally. I was having derailing problems as a result of one of the being badly adjusted, hence it being in bits today! For sure, there’s no power pickup there, unfortunately.

Cheers

Chris
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 28 August 2020 23:11:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
IMy favorite least favorite sounding loco is an old track cleaning railbus, a 3 pole motor I think, wow, what a racket when that goes around the tracks!

But the reason for the noise there is the knurled cleaning wheels that rotate at twice the rate of travel so it "grinds" the rail head to clean it.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#20 Posted : 28 August 2020 23:13:06(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
And yes the grinding gears are noisy. Remember stick shift automobiles? .

Ah, so you've heard about my driving?

Offline husafreak  
#21 Posted : 29 August 2020 03:06:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
LOL you guys are killing me! But yes I also keep an old Miata around just for those days when I want to grind some gears ;) As for the railbus I see that the cleaning wheel is turning against the rail head and I guess “cleaning” it. But you have to admit, what a racket! I run it when I want a good laugh, not so much to clean anything...
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#22 Posted : 29 August 2020 13:38:06(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I determined that the motor pinion drives a shaft with a worm drive and that was all good. But the bottom plate is warped! It is the red plastic type with sand pipes molded in. So it has a noticeable "fish belly" curve to it. The worm drive is centered over the center of that plate where the warp is at its greatest.

Can you get access to the worm without taking the bottom plate off? (I don't want to go through that again!) I'd like to put a drop of oil on it, but there's no easy way to access it that I can see.

Thanks

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#23 Posted : 29 August 2020 17:35:26(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I don’t think so.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#24 Posted : 30 August 2020 15:03:39(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I have to say, I'm at the point of giving up with my 88889. Having seemingly sorted the jamming problem, I ran it for a while yesterday with it becoming increasingly hesitant owing to power pickup problems. Having cleaned everything, it's no better (probably worse, actually) - I'm lucky to get it round my layout even at speed without it stalling at least once (usually on a curve) and measuring the continuity between the wheels I can see none of them are making good contact to the inner wiring, most of them loosing contact altogether in some alignments.

To further add to my frustration, when cleaning the wheels, one of the valve gear pins came adrift. I got it back in place, but I doubt it would stay there for long if the loco did start running properly again!

I've dropped Marklin an email, but I fear they won't be of much help, especially as I suspect there is something fundamentally flawed with the design of this model. (I think I mentioned I'm already on my second loco, the first having been replaced after it mechanically jammed up altogether.)

I was looking forward to the release of 88931, but I'll be giving it a miss as it shares the same chassis as this model.

Such a shame, as it's such an attractive model, but it looks like it's doomed to be come a display item.

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#25 Posted : 03 September 2020 22:13:19(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I spoke to my dealer today, he is in Texas, he wants me to send him the second (replacement) 88889 loco so he can send them both back to Marklin for repair. He said Marklin wants them back. He says their repair facility in Germany does great work but that if I want a refund rather than waiting just let him know. Tough choice! I want the loco and imagine they can fix it, but if it's a poor runner a best I have an opportunity to bail out here ;)
Offline Zme  
#26 Posted : 04 September 2020 06:44:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Yes that would be a hard decision to make. It is good the dealer fully understands and supports whatever you decide. It may be a while before it is returned, but the wait may be worth it.

I recently was advised parcels from Germany are not allowed at this time. COVID! Not certain if there is a restriction sending to Germany. There may be delays in both directions.

Here is a link to the German post office information page:

https://www.deutschepost...n/c/coronavirus.html#usa

It does mention something about premium packages being allowed, but I don’t know. I just know a vendor over there said he could not send a small item to me because of these restrictions.

It is wonderful, isn’t it. NOT

Best wishes.

PS: mine is an 88885, and I have had no issues. It really could be a poorly designed item.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#27 Posted : 04 September 2020 11:38:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I spoke to my dealer today, he is in Texas, he wants me to send him the second (replacement) 88889 loco so he can send them both back to Marklin for repair. He said Marklin wants them back. He says their repair facility in Germany does great work but that if I want a refund rather than waiting just let him know. Tough choice! I want the loco and imagine they can fix it, but if it's a poor runner a best I have an opportunity to bail out here ;)

As you say, it is a tough decision. I haven't heard back from Marklin yet, so I'm still in a state of indecision myself.

When everything is set up properly, it is a nice runner, so my suspicion is that the Marklin repair shop could fix your (and my) loco to our satisfaction. I suspect (hope) that there have been so many refinements to the design of the model that the quality control process hasn't fully caught up. It seems to me that extra attention needs to be paid to the valve gear, the wheel and gear alignment and to the pick-up wipers. (I think this is the first model to use blackened wipers and whilst it's great that they're barely visible they don't seem to be as springy as the old gold coloured ones, or maybe they just need to be adjusted correctly.) The red baseplate mounting also seems to be flawed, as there is no support under the fixing points. As a result if the screws are over-tightened it tends to bow the baseplate in the way and with the effect you have observed.

I am hoping that Marklin will invite me to return the loco as I do have confidence that their repair department could sort it out to my satisfaction. I'm not so keen on being sent another replacement, as I fear there's a good change it will (mis)behave the same as the two examples I've had so far.

It is a dilemma - I'll let you know what I decide if/when I hear back from Marklin.

On the positive side, my railcar set has arrived and I am very happy with it - runs nicely and looks great on my layout.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone

Chris

Offline husafreak  
#28 Posted : 04 September 2020 18:10:09(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks guys, especially the note about the COVID restrictions in Germany, progress is slow on that front. It is worth mentioning that I really want the maintenance stand supplied with this loco, what a great little scene that will make. If it weren't for that I would be inclined to just return it. FWIW since you are in Texas we are talking about AJCKids, a wonderful shop and I hope to visit someday.
I am pretty new to the hobby but hope to contribute. Regarding Marklin Z scale hardware It would be nice to have a sticky here referencing the various locos running qualities but there are pros and cons. Two people might have different experiences. In the case of the 88889 we agree there some flawed products out there. We could save someone the aggravation of buying and returning the loco. Or at lest they are warned to check its operation.
But we could help someone find great locos like the 88943 which I am absolutely loving (runs terrific and hasn't jammed in hours of running now) or the brilliant 88167 Railbus pair.
One fine day I'll go through my locos and try to start something here, maybe a sticky thread. Maybe a simple rating system without being overwrought. 1-5 rating for running qualities, appearance, pulling power, lighting, etc? Of course the search function needs to work or it wont be much use. Maybe the title of each post should just be the model number "Marklin 88889" for instance. and each post should stand alone. I hate sticky threads that go on for pages with comments. So if Chris and I both rate "Marklin 88889" we do so separately. That way if someone searches Marklin 88889 they will see it rated twice and can decide for themselves. Anywhoo, just an idea.
Offline Zme  
#29 Posted : 04 September 2020 19:54:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

I like AJCKids, I have made a number of purchases there and have not had any issues. They are great sellers and they always work with me. I should like to visit them also. If only I had know about them at the time I was in that area.

I especially like the 88889 also and the maintenance stand is certainly a bonus. I seem to recall an item like the stand available separately on a German website but with COVID . . .

I am not certain how products are sold on the site: http://hos-modellbahntechnik.de/

Choose products then In BW. Scroll down to see.

I think it would be nice to have some sort of way to know what to expect with one of the Marklin’s products. I was checking the reviews for EBay listings recently and concerning the 88941. The reviewer stated this loco “is not as powerful as one might hope” and this comment challenged my interest in this engine. I have since seen and noted your favorable comments on the pulling power of the newer version of this engine. Now this tank loco is back on my list, perhaps someday, but it is so expensive! The point here of course is, I would trust comment on this forum, before I would from others.

Concerning the black wheel contacts, my Br64 has them and I have not noted any issues because they are colored. This is a great loco, but has less weight and pulling power compared to the Br74.

On another note, gotta love those railbuses. They have made this model consistently since the second year of z scale production. Simple, straightforward, and reliable.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#30 Posted : 05 September 2020 04:36:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Discount-train.com still has the 88942, I got the 88943 for about 20% less, it is close to the 88941. That is the dealer I was less than happy with, as the loco was not new and I had to fix it. Tell me what you want to pull and Chris or I could load it up! My layout has no vertical though.
Offline Zme  
#31 Posted : 05 September 2020 06:27:57(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi again

Have you tried a Br78. That is one heavy engine with great pulling power too despite fewer drive wheels.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#32 Posted : 06 September 2020 16:05:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks guys, especially the note about the COVID restrictions in Germany, progress is slow on that front.

As far as I know there are no shipping restrictions between the UK and Germany or the US, so I would be happy to relay the occasional item if it would help.

One fine day I'll go through my locos and try to start something here, maybe a sticky thread. Maybe a simple rating system without being overwrought. 1-5 rating for running qualities, appearance, pulling power, lighting, etc? Of course the search function needs to work or it wont be much use. Maybe the title of each post should just be the model number "Marklin 88889" for instance. and each post should stand alone. I hate sticky threads that go on for pages with comments. So if Chris and I both rate "Marklin 88889" we do so separately. That way if someone searches Marklin 88889 they will see it rated twice and can decide for themselves. Anywhoo, just an idea.

It would be really useful to have such a database available. It's a shame there is not a files section on this forum where we could keep a single freely editable document that users can add to whenever they want. I wonder if we could have such a file in one of the file sharing services? (I wonder if we could agree on a file format that would suit PC, MAC and Linux users?)

Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be nice to have some sort of way to know what to expect with one of the Marklin’s products. I was checking the reviews for EBay listings recently and concerning the 88941. The reviewer stated this loco “is not as powerful as one might hope” and this comment challenged my interest in this engine. I have since seen and noted your favorable comments on the pulling power of the newer version of this engine. Now this tank loco is back on my list, perhaps someday, but it is so expensive! The point here of course is, I would trust comment on this forum, before I would from others.

By the looks of it 88941 is internally identical to 88942 and 88943 and I am sure it will have the same excellent pulling power. I can't imagine what it was that prompted the ebay reviewer to make that comment. It is easily my most powerful steam loco and probably out-hauls the modern BR216/218 diesels.

Concerning the black wheel contacts, my Br64 has them and I have not noted any issues because they are colored. This is a great loco, but has less weight and pulling power compared to the Br74.

I have one of those as well - as you say a very attractive loco but very light with traction to match. I didn't realise this loco had black pick-up wipers as well and I've not experienced any trouble as a result, so I guess I can strike that off the list of possible problems with 88889!

Tell me what you want to pull and Chris or I could load it up! My layout has no vertical though.

Yes, very happy to run some tests. (What I can say, though is that the BR64 struggles to pull 3 small bogie coaches up my helix, whereas 88942/88943 will pull - from memory - 10 or 11.)

Have you tried a Br78. That is one heavy engine with great pulling power too despite fewer drive wheels.

That's an interesting and, to me, surprising observation. Certainly weight is hugely important. However I have found that (on steam locomotives) bogies have a significantly negative effect. Those little gold-coloured springs cause quite a bit of downward pressure from the bogie wheels and a corresponding reduction in the amount of weight over the driving wheels. My 88889 weighs 33g and struggles with four bogie coaches up my helix. 88942/88942 has the same ten driving wheels but will pull 2-3 times more up the same section of track. A third factor I have noticed is the effect of centre of gravity, It's unusual for a steam loco to have the same haulage in both directions - on an incline, a least!

Who would have thought that playing with trains would get so scientific?

Take care everyone

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Zme  
#33 Posted : 08 September 2020 06:52:21(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hey Chris

What can you tell me about the Class 96. 88294 or an equal. I would expect that to be a real beast on hills with many cars behind.

Thanks for your input. I watch and wish for that one too. The king of the tanks.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#34 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:08:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hey Chris

What can you tell me about the Class 96. 88294 or an equal. I would expect that to be a real beast on hills with many cars behind.

Thanks for your input. I watch and wish for that one too. The king of the tanks.

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Actually, very little, I'm afraid. I have heard that they are smooth runners and have good traction, but I don't have one myself, so I have no personal experience.

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#35 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:52:22(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Well, I'm not Chris, so i have no hilly terrain, but I do have an 88294. I can't remember who I got it from probably fleabay. I saw it and had to have it. A mallet! Mine is new and runs well. It is a very impressive loco! So as for running it runs well in either direction but it does not like to run very slowly. I think there is a lot of drag in the gearing so it sort of lurches along at a crawl. I put it on my 195r track and loaded it up with 14 cars, 3 4 axle the rest 2 axle. It's pulling or pushing them well, stopped and spun on a turnout after a minute so I went one step faster and it is fine now at 120 out of 200 on my Marklin Mini club throttle. So i think it is a 5 pole motor but everything else looks like a new modern motor Marklin. The lights are very bright, whiteish, and change with direction of travel. Note that the picture of the Marklin 88294 shows it with bright silver running gear but mine has a darker finish like blackened wheels, it looks terrific. There is no issue with the sand pipes dragging like I have with some of the small steam engines that have them. (Bubikopf, grrr)
Here is a nice link if you haven't seen it:
http://ztrainsweekly.com...allet-locos-88290-88294/
Offline husafreak  
#36 Posted : 08 September 2020 20:57:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
CEDB7773-7958-4087-8140-0F86640959F5.jpeg
Zme
Offline Zme  
#37 Posted : 08 September 2020 22:54:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi That is a beauty!

I have heard it makes wide turns and cannot be used with catenary because the wheels stick out so far. I have been slow to pursue this one for this reason. Do you think this is true?

Thanks for sharing.

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#38 Posted : 09 September 2020 05:56:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
84862888-7C90-4830-87C9-B2B1BE4113F5.jpeg

I don’t think it hangs out around turns, but as you can see the red steps on either side of the engineer station protrude quite far. My tightest track is 195r. My layout is just test loops.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#39 Posted : 09 September 2020 19:48:06(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
By way of update on my 88889, I've heard back from Marklin and they've invited me to return my loco to them. I'm pretty happy about this and am fairly hopeful they'll be able to sort it out once and for all.

I give an update when it gets back!

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#40 Posted : 10 September 2020 03:06:13(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks
Offline parakiet  
#41 Posted : 20 September 2020 21:55:15(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I got a BR96 a few months ago however it refuses to work with my rokuhan controller. Perhaps it needs to much mah to start or there might be another problem.

I got it after my BR53 which I just LOVE! Seeing that monster whiz across my testtrack with a load of 6 axle cars :)

Should really start building my real testtrack with a loop, a grade and some turnouts to check rolling stock performance. Still missing an 0-10-0 to test against my whole range of other stuff. The GAS hit hard... dmnd!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#42 Posted : 20 September 2020 22:45:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
I got a BR96 a few months ago however it refuses to work with my rokuhan controller. Perhaps it needs to much mah to start or there might be another problem.

Do you know what type of motor it has? The old 3-pole motor has a lower armature resistance than the 5 pole and consequently draws more current and runs hotter. Other people have commented that Rokuhan controllers can current limit with Marklin motors, especially if everything isn't running freely. There is a thread all about it here somewhere. I believe the new coreless motors draw less current still, though I have yet to measure for myself.

Quote:
Should really start building my real testtrack with a loop, a grade and some turnouts to check rolling stock performance.

I have a test track of a simple oval which I prop up to create a grade, although the straight section isn't really long enough to do real comparisons. On my real layout, I find trains do not behave identically on all turnouts. Needless to say, the most troublesome one is also the least accessible!

Quote:
Still missing an 0-10-0 to test against my whole range of other stuff.

Alpha Model's still had one in stock the last time I looked!

All the best

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#43 Posted : 21 September 2020 02:06:18(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The Rokuhan controllers are very nice but ultimately I stopped using them due to their finicky nature with my 5 pole Marklin’s. On mine the LED light turns off When they auto shut down due to current protection so it is pretty obvious. They really shine on a test loop though! You loco needs to be running well to “pass the test”. But for a layout it’s kind of annoying. The newer can motors usually draw much less current, never a problem.
Offline parakiet  
#44 Posted : 21 September 2020 12:54:40(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Over the years I acquired a substantial amount of loco's. 2/3 runs fine on the rokuhan controller. 1/3 has HOS or puts the controller in "safety shut off"
those who run fine are a mix of 3pole, 5pole and the bell shape kind. Rokuhans have those bell shaped motors too.

For the time being I keep those 1/3 "faulty" as they are. Not planning to force them. Planning to thinker with them. Swap parts or install 3th party bell shaped motor.

I was planning to blow some hobby money on model railroad expo's/conventions but corona scuttled that plan. Back to eBay :D a 0-10-0 is on the list. The 2-10-2 88885 has just been acquired BigGrin
Offline husafreak  
#45 Posted : 21 September 2020 15:26:38(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
If you have Rokuhan locos then their controller is really great as that combination will turn the locos lights on and off without it moving, a great DC feature (but with the side effect of causing some Marklin can motor locos to move with the throttle off!), Congrats on the 88885 score. At this point I wish I had gotten one of those now that the 88889 appears flawed. I imagine Marklin will come through for this though.
Offline parakiet  
#46 Posted : 21 September 2020 19:42:30(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
If you have Rokuhan locos then their controller is really great as that combination will turn the locos lights on and off without it moving, a great DC feature (but with the side effect of causing some Marklin can motor locos to move with the throttle off!), Congrats on the 88885 score. At this point I wish I had gotten one of those now that the 88889 appears flawed. I imagine Marklin will come through for this though.

The Rokuhan I import from Japan. With taxes the diesels are about 90-100 euros if bought at the right time (sales). Can't complain. DD51 (3) and DE10 (2). I should stop buying them.. but each time I see em popping up really cheap..

Planning to run them together with a series 54 (NOHAB) and a BR 212.

About that 88885: I haven't tested it yet. It hasn't arrived.. guess it's 50-50 chance working/DOA, eBay! :)

Offline husafreak  
#47 Posted : 22 September 2020 03:54:42(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I only have the Rokuhan BR181 but I love it. Great loco. And I use their track.
Offline parakiet  
#48 Posted : 24 September 2020 17:53:57(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Lot of work with this corona crisis. And due lock down less possibilities for MX5 club road trips.. less fuel, more mini-club BigGrin BigGrin
Offline husafreak  
#49 Posted : 25 September 2020 07:49:13(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
And I still enjoy driving my 97 MX5!
Jay
Offline parakiet  
#50 Posted : 25 September 2020 08:24:16(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
And I still enjoy driving my 97 MX5!

Here A 2007 NC PRHT. Daily car and fun car.

Between March and September we normally do at least two +350 mile day trips each month. With friends or the club: between 5 and 50 miata's whizzing through the landscape!However.. Fuel, food, drinks.. it all adds up Glare

Two trips I organised:
https://www.mx5-for-fun....os-zeeland-rit-glenn-ve/
https://www.mx5-for-fun....8-06-10-fotos-luxemburg/

So instead this season I got a collection of corona-locs Blushing BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
little update.. No 88885 in the mail so far

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Jay