Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ari1982  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2020 08:15:38(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
I have a marklin 37577 (DB BR103) that I got a few years ago.mostly used as display and ran a few times only. worked fine. today when I tried to run it I noticed that it was running a bit slow and making a subtle friction noise. I lubricated it to no avail. I have other loco's such as the SBB Re 6/6 or DB-BR110 they all seem to run faster...like 4 bars of speed on this one is equal to 2 bars of speed on the others. I don't recall noticing this when I got it....

what to do ?

thanks

Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2020 09:12:42(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Just a question, what controller do you have? If you have a modern controller like ESU Ecos or Marklin Central station you should be able to edit that loco & reset parameters. The friction noise is a worry & you need to establish where that is coming from first up. Looking forward to your reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elro8UHnN1Y

Around the 1:25 point you will get what I am suggesting.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2020 11:37:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Like Dave writes, if there are no issues with the lubrication, brushes, then it is a matter of adjusting the max speed parameter on your MFX loco.
Using a controller such as a CS2 it is on a screen like this one below. See the V Max parameter.
Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138.png
The manual is here https://static.maerklin....2745b9401e1434542570.pdf
On page 22 you have the list of CVs (configuration variables)
You may:
- reset the loco to factory setting by writing 08 on CV8
- set the max speed by writing the speed (1 to 255) into CV5
I hope this helps
Jean
Offline ari1982  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2020 17:30:13(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
I have mobile station 2 does not have any of these advanced features I believe. I have deleted and added the loco, made no difference... what is there to reset and how do you do it ?

Thanks
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2020 17:37:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ari1982 Go to Quoted Post
I have mobile station 2 does not have any of these advanced features I believe.
The low level features like Acc, Dec, VMax, and Reset are there. I think they are all under the "Modify loco" (or sumpin' to that effect) menu entry.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2020 17:59:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

I have a marklin 37577 (DB BR103) that I got a few years ago.mostly used as display and ran a few times only. worked fine. today when I tried to run it I noticed that it was running a bit slow and making a subtle friction noise. I lubricated it to no avail.

Funny, of course you can change your speed settings, even with a MS 2. But does it solve your problem - the subtle friction noise? Could you find any reason for this noise? It sounds some mechanical friction is diminishing your speed. This will not be solved by increasing the parameters for speed in the decoder.
Offline ari1982  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2020 05:35:27(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I have a marklin 37577 (DB BR103) that I got a few years ago.mostly used as display and ran a few times only. worked fine. today when I tried to run it I noticed that it was running a bit slow and making a subtle friction noise. I lubricated it to no avail.

Funny, of course you can change your speed settings, even with a MS 2. But does it solve your problem - the subtle friction noise? Could you find any reason for this noise? It sounds some mechanical friction is diminishing your speed. This will not be solved by increasing the parameters for speed in the decoder.

at max set speed the loco is still too slow. I thought it could be the wheels an axles but I lubricated them and seem to run smoothly. I think it's the motor inside. I guess the next step is to open it up and inspect anything obvious....

Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 05 August 2020 06:26:14(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Yes I guess that is the next step. From my side use Marklin oil #7149 only & never put any oil in the vicinity of the brushes. Take the motor apart carefully & clean it with the correct solvents if necessary & depending on how much use its had you may want to replace the two brushes. Only put a minuscule drop of oil in the gear region. Visually inspect the armature for any signs of wear or in your case somewhere it may be catching on something namely because you mentioned a "Friction sound". Keep us posted on your progress please.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline ari1982  
#9 Posted : 07 August 2020 09:08:17(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
Ok reset the loco several times , no change

opened up the shell, the motor looks good, nothing obvious at least. this locomotive has been run less than 10 hours since I bought it. you can see the pics below

this video shows how slow it is compared to the SBB Re6/6

and loco running by itself, notice how slow it runs even with speed set to almost 50% range

is this normal or is it bad?
Offline ari1982  
#10 Posted : 07 August 2020 09:11:40(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
is it possible that the DB BR103 needs more current than the SBB RE6/6 ? when I run my DB with three DSG cars there is also loss of power. according to MS2 the current draw is about 0.5A and then it suddenly stops making strange noises. the loco by itself doesn't do this but it runs slow. one of the passenger cars is old (made in west Germany haha) and I had added old incandescent lighting to it. maybe it's causing a short?

Offline ari1982  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2020 09:06:42(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
OK I think I finally found where the problem is

the wheels are slipping on the track! does that mean I have to replace the traction rubbers?

Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2020 10:02:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You wrote above that the locomotive have 10 minutes running time,there is no way to need traction tyres.Maybe the problem is to much oil on tracks.
Offline Dave Banks  
#13 Posted : 13 August 2020 00:34:05(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
If the loco has been running on oily tracks & then stored for a time the traction tyres expand & or snap. So first off clean those tracks thoroughly & revise your methods of oiling the locos. It only needs a pin head drop on the gears when it squeals. If the traction tyres are loose & slip then you must replace them. Use only Marklin oil #7149 & very sparingly at that. Its about $800.00 per litre.
D.A.Banks
Offline ari1982  
#14 Posted : 13 August 2020 09:53:34(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
You wrote above that the locomotive have 10 minutes running time,there is no way to need traction tyres.Maybe the problem is to much oil on tracks.

But doesn't the rubber degrade with time? the loco is from 2014 so 6 years old now although it hasn't been run much....
Offline ari1982  
#15 Posted : 13 August 2020 09:57:57(UTC)
ari1982

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
If the loco has been running on oily tracks & then stored for a time the traction tyres expand & or snap. So first off clean those tracks thoroughly & revise your methods of oiling the locos. It only needs a pin head drop on the gears when it squeals. If the traction tyres are loose & slip then you must replace them. Use only Marklin oil #7149 & very sparingly at that. Its about $800.00 per litre.

yup that's what I use and I put just a 1-2 drops directly on the gears for the power axles. tracks weren't greasy, just wiped them with a paper towel no residue. I guess the rubber is worn, I am going to replace it and see if that helps. as I add more cars it literally cannot even take off.
Offline foumaro  
#16 Posted : 13 August 2020 15:22:33(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post

But doesn't the rubber degrade with time? the loco is from 2014 so 6 years old now although it hasn't been run much....

I have the same locomotive and i am running her for 4 years without any problem and i have not change the tyres.Many other of my locomotives running without problems and with the same tyres for 10 or 15 years.Only direct sunlight,bad conditions of storage or very bad usage of the owner can damage the tyres with 10 minutes running.