Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oranda  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2020 13:06:20(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Hi

I operate a MS2 based digital layout with 4 loks. 2 are definitely mfx with cards.

I came to use my layout a few days ago and nothing would respond, no power going to the handset no lights no m83 or m84's blinking. I checked the transformer and connections nothing!

24 hours later power came back and by using the cards I was able to get the MFX loks, lighting, points m84 and m83's working. However the two non MFX loks are failing to respond.

Ive tried using the FIND function on the MS2 hand set, which goes through the mfx stage to DCC and gives me a dcc-0 (10) lok which doesn't respond to up down of accelerator.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get these two loks to come cack online?

Thanks for any help you can give

https://orandaadnaroblog.wordpress.com
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2020 17:39:27(UTC)
Goofy

Did you tried to reset MS2?
Maybe your MS2 did stuck something.
What version do you have now in the MS2?
When i did used MS2 i did use only two protocols to control my trains and it was mfx and DCC.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2020 18:09:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
Ive tried using the FIND function on the MS2 hand set, which goes through the mfx stage to DCC and gives me a dcc-0 (10) lok which doesn't respond to up down of accelerator.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get these two loks to come back (corrected) online?

Do not understand why you are using loco cards for mfx locos, but not for the non-mfx locos. How did you run the non-mfx locos before, by MM, fx or DCC? Only mfx provides a feedback signal for registration and searching. All others are not able to give a feedback signal. You have to register these non-mfx locos again, if they were lost and no loco cards available.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2020 18:32:25(UTC)
H0

"DCC-0" indicates that no valid loco was found.
"Find loco" on the MS2 is not reliable. It can work only if there is just one loco on the track. So if you tried "Find loco" with two or more locos on the track, try again with just one loco.

Maybe you can reactivate one of your locos by adding a DCC loco with address 3 manually.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline oranda  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:02:08(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

What am I doing wrong and how can I get these two loks to come back (corrected) online?

Do not understand why you are using loco cards for mfx locos, but not for the non-mfx locos. How did you run the non-mfx locos before, by MM, fx or DCC? Only mfx provides a feedback signal for registration and searching. All others are not able to give a feedback signal. You have to register these non-mfx locos again, if they were lost and no loco cards available.

The two new mfx loks came in starter sets and the cards were supplied with them

The two second hand non-mfx were given to me without cards, and came already configured. I think I must have used FIND to get them running, but it was some time ago, I can't really remember.
Offline oranda  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:06:34(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
When i did used MS2 i did use only two protocols to control my trains and it was mfx and DCC.

If I reset the MS2 do I lose all my points as well as the loks?

Sw: V 1.83
HW: v 2.0
ldb V 013 (2013/3)

I'm planning to order the Central Station plus in the next couple of weeks.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:33:19(UTC)
H0

The two new mfx loks came in starter sets and the cards were supplied with them
I've seen several non-mfx locos in starter sets with loco cards. I don't think I ever saw a Märklin mfx loco coming with loco card.
But it does not really matter as those two locos work for you.

More information about the non-working locos and their retrofit decoders (if applicable) could be helpful.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 03 August 2020 22:30:22(UTC)
TEEWolf

ldb V 013 (2013/3)

Indeed, if you reset your MS 2 you will loose everything of points (?) you have programmed or registered in the MS 2. Do not really know what points shall be. Unfortunately you do not give very much information, so we all can only guess. @H0 is right and the software version 1.83 was standard in the years about 2012 to 2014. So I guess you have no mfx loco. All your locos have probably fx decoders. If they are Maerklin locos it is not bad, especially if you plan to buy a CS 3+. First you can update your MS 2 to the actual SW vers 3.112. Second, the CS 3 has a database for most non-mfx locos inside since round about 2003 or so. With this database you can register your fx locos almost as easy as it is done with mfx. You only have to select them out of the database. I would propose, buy the CS 3+ quicker and solve your registering and software problems smartly.

You always shall your software kept updated with the latest version. With these updates are also coming data for the new offered locos.

BTW, I do have a CS 3+ and 2 MS 2. I still use the MS 2 pretty often, because Maerklin offers more and more mfx decoders in wagons to toggle interior lights, sounds, tail lights in the cab forward wagon, etc. For this mfx wagon decoders I use the MS 2 connected to the CS 3+. In the controllers these wagon mfx decoders are handled like a normal loco. The locos I run with my CS 3+.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 07 August 2020 07:42:50(UTC)
Goofy

ldb V 013 (2013/3)

Good idea to get a CS3!
I have this one and it works nice.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline oranda  
#10 Posted : 14 August 2020 22:00:25(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
My cs3 plus was delivered yesterday so I in the mean time I have tried adding my locomotives.

29182 - Henschel DHG 700
29108 - V60
fails to run despite adding manually details - these were fine with my MS2 controllers.

36321 BR 81 006
29240 BR 24
came with cards in their boxed sets - these work fine these I thought wrongly were max - they appear to be mm

Im now wondering if the two that aren't responding may have either incorrect id numbers or they are hardwired.

I place the locomotive on the programming track and change the number using the edit mode, then I click on the tick. Is that all there is to programming the locomotive and its details. I just query this, as when I did this on the MS2 before, there was a noticeable delay and flashing of lights during the update process. On this new CS3 there is hardly a blink of its lights.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 14 August 2020 22:57:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
My cs3 plus was delivered yesterday so I in the mean time I have tried adding my locomotives.

29182 - Henschel DHG 700
29108 - V60
fails to run despite adding manually details - these were fine with my MS2 controllers.

If the addresses were changed then the cs3 will not see them. You should be able to find out what address they are set to by putting them on the programming track one at a time and asking the cs3 to find them. This will then tell you what address they are set to, and you can change it to the default. They may both have the same default address though, so you may need to leave them at the changed address, and change the address for the cs3 entry for them.

36321 BR 81 006
29240 BR 24
came with cards in their boxed sets - these work fine these I thought wrongly were max - they appear to be mm

The Marklin page for 29240 does not mention mfx, so that is why it is supplied with a card.

The Marklin page for 36321 also does not mention mfx, so will also have an fx decoder, hence the card.