Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mikemasey  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2020 00:41:21(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
G-day all,

can anyone tell me how easy it would be to convert a HAMO to a Marklin AC.
Can I just fit a new pick-up shoe and move the pick up wires from one side and go through a rectifier to the DC moter.
I know that this will only give me one direction but that is fine.
I have done this with a old Triang loco and a Lima loco and it is all good.

Thanks.

Mike.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2020 09:13:59(UTC)
H0

It is that simple. With some locos you only get current from one rail.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rugauger  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2020 14:43:54(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
HAMO locos have insulated wheels. You'll only get rail pickup from one side. It might affect how smoothly the loco will run. I have used conductive paint in the past to "bridge" the wheel insulators and thus get pickup from both rails.

Other than that, it really is that simple. If you want to add reversing later, Uhlenbrock have (or used to) a cheap electronic reversing unit.
Richard
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2020 15:02:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
HAMO locos have insulated wheels. You'll only get rail pickup from one side.
That depends on the loco. With two-truck locos and such there are good chances that at least some wheels will pick up current from the other side without re-wiring.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline scraigen  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2020 20:07:21(UTC)
scraigen

Connect the rail pickups together if there are two sets otherwise join the one wheel pickup to a part of the metal chassis and you will have ground from both rails, then you just need the pickup slider.
Must build something
Offline mikemasey  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2020 11:19:45(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Hi all,
thanks for that.

I have converted a couple of Lima's and an old triang and it seems prety same same so thats good.

Thanks again.

mike.
Offline midwestbls  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2020 23:51:55(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
A HAMO 2-rail lok will have pickups on both sides. You simply need to wore the two wheel pickups together to the ground. Might only have pickups on one truck.
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 26 July 2020 05:50:40(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: midwestbls Go to Quoted Post
A HAMO 2-rail lok will have pickups on both sides. You simply need to wore the two wheel pickups together to the ground. Might only have pickups on one truck.

Not the ones I've seen.

One side has insulated wheels, that side will have pickups, the other side are not insulated so electrical conductivity is through the axle & chassis.

That's not to say that certain models may not have pickups on both side, and those with traction tyres present added challenges but I suspect that may be model-specific.

The couple I did were real easy and I just accepted that there 'may' be some limitations such as circuit tracks etc for block-control, level crossings etc - but nothing that can't be worked around BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline mikemasey  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2020 11:28:04(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Many thanks,

As long as I have the wheels with or with out pick ups joined(electrically) and a separate feed for the (pick up shoe)ground then Ill be fine.

Mike.
Offline midwestbls  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2020 00:35:48(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: midwestbls Go to Quoted Post

Not the ones I've seen.

One side has insulated wheels, that side will have pickups, the other side are not insulated so electrical conductivity is through the axle & chassis.

That's not to say that certain models may not have pickups on both side, and those with traction tyres present added challenges but I suspect that may be model-specific.

The couple I did were real easy and I just accepted that there 'may' be some limitations such as circuit tracks etc for block-control, level crossings etc - but nothing that can't be worked around BigGrin

I've never opened one up to do a conversion (have several Trix RE460s waiting) ... but any DC, 2-rail locomotive MUST have pickups on both sides in some fashion as one rail is + and the other the - . How the "other side" transfers its + or - to the motor is immaterial, there IS a wired connection from both sides, both rails. That was my point.

Converting to AC, 3-rail, wiring the two sides together as - ("brown" in M lingo) and adding a pick up shoe for center-studs + is my understanding of the basics.

ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline mikemasey  
#11 Posted : 02 August 2020 02:19:50(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Hi midwestbls,

yes I knew what you meant, haven't converted any Hamo yet but have plenty practice with others, Joeuf, Lima and even a Triang.
All work well if only in one direction.

Mike.