Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2020 15:34:34(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
I'm going nuts building my layout, and am finding that building the town and villages is as much fun as laying out the tracks and trains.

I will soon have about 50 buildings and numerous streets.

What's the best way to install lighting?

I bought at the Pullman store in Paris 5 little LED bulbs, each I think with two wires. The guy looked at me in disbelief when I asked how to wire them.

Can you help? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to Marklin wiring. I plan to buy more when I figure out how this works. I want street lights, building lights, the works.

I have 2 little 7211 control boxes and one 7210. How do you collect all those wires and then run them into the control boxes? Then how do the control boxes attach to a transformer?

Is there a limit has to how many lights can be run out of one transformer?

Can someone show me a diagram how how the wiring should work with so many lights? A REALLY simple diagram?

With many thanks

Peter

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2020 16:09:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I use Faller bulbs which fit their buildings and run the cables back to a Faller transformer. You will need to extend the cables but can join together the wires from houses together in a street. Veissmann and Brawa also do a good range of lights some you can fit over the doors of buildings. Make sure all buildings have the paper inserts to stop the light coming through the walls and roofs.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2020 16:58:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Led lights is the way to go, they don't get as hot as ordinary bulbs, they use less wattage and can be brighter if needed., the last longer., any light bulb needs to wires a plus and a minus and this is most the time displayed on a coulor scheme, brown and red. or brown and yellow.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline pclancy  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2020 19:39:12(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Thanks John and David. But what I don't understand is how one joins all the wires together. I mean, 50 lights with two wires each? How does that work? Sorry to sound dumb, but how do you join the wires? And how does it all connect to a Marklin 7211? One single wire at the very end?

Do you solder the wires or just strip them and twist the wires?

Can you show me a diagram? Or show me a photo?

Thanks AGAIN.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2020 20:54:34(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
start here:

http://]https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2017/04/led-lighting-circuits.html

It answers some fundamentals about the wiring, and explains how many you can connect at a time, as well as providing some simple diagrams.

LEDs have to wired with correct polarity.

Twisting wires will just give you frustration, you should solder them.

To help reading the link, your Märklin transformer produces 16V AC.
You may also want to buy a cheap DC power supply for all your LED lights. Look for 12V DC power supplies on Amazon.

I also have a section on building lighting at: https://cabin-layout.mix...ilding-plastic-kits.html

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline pclancy  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2020 04:55:32(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
I've looked at your cabin layout blog and am blown away by your skill and knowledge. Wow! You really, really know your stuff. I especially appreciated the article on mistakes made in designing and building an HO layout. And the review of the Faller bridge was just amazing. I'll be reading your stuff much more now.

Anyway, thank you.

Surely there must be a "plug and play" solution to LED wiring. I still get confused when trying to order the various parts. Is there not a company who can sell me a complete kit including DC power supply, some sort of HUB, perhaps with a dimmer and 50 or so LED wires and lights such that I can just plug them in once I have installed them in the buildings (with the necessary shielding inside the buildings to prevent light leakage). Can you recommend a kit, perhaps one I could buy on Amazon.fr?

Thanks

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2020 11:18:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Unfortunately not to my knowledge, you may can buy certain components in 1 shop but not as a kit where all the components are offered at the same time., what you will find the moment you get used to it its like ABC afterwards. with leds its like people standing together in a row and holding hands, 1 hand is negative and the other positive., some basic soldering skills, maybe resistors to drop down the voltage and some suppliers supply led's with resistors., with led's as mentioned before you have to take notice of the polarity but this again is child's play, as one wire rod is longer than the other and all you have to remember which is which.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2020 12:02:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
If your are looking for a plug and play system, Woodland Scenics in your neck of the wood could be recommended. It will be more expensive than doing it your self though.

https://woodlandscenics....y/JustPlugLightingSystem

Have fun!

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:01:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Have a look at Marklin 72090. Get two and also a supply of their plugs. Put a plug on each light. One Yellow and one brown. You can then plug ten buildings into the 72090. Then you take a wire from the 72090 to a transformer. You can continue with more 72090 and join them together thus only taking two wires to the transformer. That is a very easy way to start and you cant really go wrong. As I said before use Faller bulbs with their kits as the kits are mainly ready with a place to accept their bulb.
I always say take it slow and the easy way first then you can experiment later. IF you do the above and still get stuck then PM me and I will help.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:07:45(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Thanks Danlake! More expensive perhaps but a lot less likely to mess it up, or crosswire, short, over-/under-resistor, or any other electrical dysfunction by trying myself. I always seem to let the "magic smoke" slip out...LOL Looks like my kind of Easy!BigGrin
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:51:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Danlake! More expensive perhaps but a lot less likely to mess it up, or crosswire, short, over-/under-resistor, or any other electrical dysfunction by trying myself. I always seem to let the "magic smoke" slip out...LOL Looks like my kind of Easy!BigGrin

Attach a photo of one of the LEDs you already have, and that will help us give correct advice on what you already have.

Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 06 July 2020 15:35:23(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
You may want to check the Woodland Scenic's items:

https://woodlandscenics....s8QO5OmZx4caAgbuEALw_wcB
Offline rogergags  
#13 Posted : 20 July 2020 02:37:24(UTC)
rogergags

Australia   
Nowadays there are a lot of very good, inexpensive LED streetlights, etc on EBay. They are from China (I know) and run on 3 volts, so you need a separate power supply, or use a step down transformer from 12v to 3v, also available on Ebay. One trick that I have found is brilliant to light bigger models such as stations and platforms are the LED copper wire strip lights, they use the super thin wire and the LED's are incorporated into the wire. You can run the wire wherever you want, it's easy to hide. You simply disconnect the battery holder (or use it if you like) and connect the lights to a power supply.
Offline alehrfeld  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2022 19:39:34(UTC)
alehrfeld

United States   
Hello, I am having a great deal of trouble trying to install the 72811 lights on my layout. The instructions look like I should drill 6mm wide holes into my baseboard, however this is significantly too narrow and not even close to the diameter needed by the light base. If I drill a hole wide enough to fit, then I have trouble getting the light to stand perfectly straight. Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you in advance for any and all help!
Offline rogergags  
#15 Posted : 22 March 2022 21:52:40(UTC)
rogergags

Australia   
The Marklin lights are very expensive and to me look somewhat out of scale. The less expensive lights on eBay are very simple to install, far more affordable and look to scale. To get your light to stand straight, you will most probably have to use a construction adhesive....just put the wires into the hole first, then a dab of the adhesive and push the post in. Brace it until the glue sets.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 23 March 2022 17:18:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Using those inexpensive white LEDs for Chritsmas, cotton swabs and enameled copper wire (e.g.: from a disposed Switch motor) I did rural lamp posts
It looks like this (not great but not too bad for less than 1 Euro apiece
RuralLampPosts.png
They are powered by 12 VDC with 2 lamps in series
Cheers
Jean
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rogergags  
#17 Posted : 23 March 2022 21:30:32(UTC)
rogergags

Australia   
It's great what you can achieve with a bit of lateral thinking....this is a very expensive hobby so if you can do something well and inexpensively, that's very satisfying.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rogergags
Offline Toosmall  
#18 Posted : 23 March 2022 23:32:24(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I got a pile of Z gauge lights from Netherlands delivered to Australia, cheap freight & in a few weeks, unlike items I am still waiting for from USA ordered last year.

They have more types in HO. The Z ones are copper, have a cool coloured LED temperature, are well made.

DSC_0568_092137.jpg

HO lighting:

https://www.modeltreinsh...-schaal-187/verlichting/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline rogergags  
#19 Posted : 23 March 2022 23:43:52(UTC)
rogergags

Australia   
the HO ones are also very good. I bought a 12V to 3V mini transformer on eBay, I simply hook it up to the blue Marklin lighting transformer and it works a treat. Another very inexpensive option are the LED Christmas lights, you can string them along a tunnel and they give off a soft glow, looks really realistic.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rogergags