Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeterF7  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2020 14:36:22(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
Hi All,

I've been tinkering with AnyRail after reading a book: "Guide to Freight Yards" by Andy Sperandeo and finding jpgs of a full freight yard online. Using his insights & the jpgs, I came up with a "full freight yard" plan for a 12 x 14 foot room in HO scale. The plan has two red rectangles in the lower right hand corner that represent the swing areas of a bedroom door and a closet door. The rest is the area in which we can build a layout. This may be too much yard but we can reduce its size (or even expand it).

I put a bit of work into this and I don't want to see it go to waste; especially if it is helpful to someone else. The connections are solid and there is a list of track that goes with it. "Everything" is labeled but I don't have any signals placed yet.

The Roundhouse is a rectangular building but it could be changed to a turn Roundhouse configuration.

Now for the question: Besides here, where would a good place be to make this available?

(any suggestions from you all would be appreciated.)

Peter
YardLadder12b.zip (37kb) downloaded 17 time(s).YardLadder12b.jpg YardLadder12bTrackList.pdf (27kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeterF7
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2020 09:57:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Peter,

That is a good design with all the necessary elements in my opinion.
Particularly the switch lead around the loco depot, a feature for which most layouts have no space.
And the double ladder.

I have 1 suggestion.
You could reverse the crossover at the bottom end of the yard between the two runaround tracks.
(As in left to right going north, rather than right to left)
This will give you one long space on the inner track and a shorter space on the outer.
That might become useful when breaking up or making up trains in a specific order.

Oh dear, all that shunting activity sounds like hard work. Blink

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline PeterF7  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2020 18:01:03(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,

That is a good design with all the necessary elements in my opinion.
Particularly the switch lead around the loco depot, a feature for which most layouts have no space.
And the double ladder.

I have 1 suggestion.
You could reverse the crossover at the bottom end of the yard between the two runaround tracks.
(As in left to right going north, rather than right to left)
This will give you one long space on the inner track and a shorter space on the outer.
That might become useful when breaking up or making up trains in a specific order.

Oh dear, all that shunting activity sounds like hard work. Blink

Kimball

I really like you suggestion!! If an engine with cars pulls onto the inner track of the runaround, the engine can escape to the right on the outer track. Yard engines are typically not that long and this would give some extra space on the inner track. In taking your suggestion, I replaced the 24611 turnouts with 24612 turnouts and moved a couple of pieces of track. Very simple. Just to be sure, is this what you had in mind?

YardLadder13b.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeterF7
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2020 02:41:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PeterF7 Go to Quoted Post

.......I really like you suggestion!! If an engine with cars pulls onto the inner track of the runaround, the engine can escape to the right on the outer track. Yard engines are typically not that long and this would give some extra space on the inner track. In taking your suggestion, I replaced the 24611 turnouts with 24612 turnouts and moved a couple of pieces of track. Very simple. Just to be sure, is this what you had in mind?

Hi Peter,
That is it exactly.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline PeterF7  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2020 11:32:21(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
Hello Kimball,

I swapped places between the original Roundhouse area and the other area that had the Clean Out, Repair in Place, and Diesel Servicing tracks. I was able to fit a 6 bay traditional roundhouse in the new area. The old Roundhouse area is a little tight for all the 3 servicing types so I may have to construct just one of each. This is a snippet of what I did:

RhouseMove.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeterF7