Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Twinrover1965  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2019 14:44:06(UTC)
Twinrover1965

United Kingdom   
I have purchased some 1950s VB track which I saw on ebay recently and is in good condition. I am well aware of its association with Marklin M Track. However, I have got the second version which has a brass third rail but was mounted on quite an attractive silver coloured metal bedding, and no, it isn't Primark. Another rail and it would make quite decent London Underground tube track but that is wishful thinking! The first type, released in 1950, was a sandy colour, and the third kind abandoned the third rail altogether and had studs [pukos] instead. Does anybody know the years in which this, second, silver grey version was available? From my own estimation, it could have only been a few years in the latter part of the 1950s that it was advertised. I think by the time Triang swallowed up VB in 1960 the stud system was already in use.

I would also like to know what electrical system should be deployed as ostensibly it seems AC loks and electrics should be used. However, I have seen reference to VB trains and track being 12volt DC, similar to Hornby Dublo. To avoid damage to my loks and possible summoning of the emergency services, could anyone clarify, please? Any recommendation for a controller? The feeder track, by the way, has three terminals.

I would also appreciate any technical tips/insights regarding using this track. I have frequently read that all the VB items were well made and respected for good quality in France and even in the UK until Triang came along and smashed it to pieces, spitting it out a year later. in 1961. It is worth noting that their modern day counterpart, Hornby is doing exactly the same thing to Electrotren, Jouef and Rivarossi. Let's hope they don't get hold of Marklin!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Twinrover1965
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2019 04:30:57(UTC)