Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ajayrav  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2020 18:00:59(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Hello,

I have a Z scale Marklin 88167 Schienenbus (diesel railbus) where I would like to touch up the red paint. I've gathered that the color to use is RAL 3004 purple red, but I'm not sure what finish provides the best match to the Marklin factory paint- gloss, semi-gloss, satin, matte or flat. From my observation it seems like a matte finish is the closest, I'm thinking of using a can of spray-paint from LVP, which is plastic compatible.

Thanks,
Ajay
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2020 18:57:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ajay
In HO, I use semi gloss paint to obtain close-to-factory aspect
Here is an old G800 (1952) Märklin Loco where the black paint was renewed 10 years ago.
UserPostedImage
Cheers
Jean
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2020 16:00:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi Ajay,

First tip- spray a test strip and compare. DRG/DB may have used RAL3004, but Marklin likely did not. I ran into this exact problem with the same color code just 2 weeks ago, on HO scale.

Moving on, satin or semigloss both work. Or paint flat and varnish/clear coast with semi, which is what I'd in order to preserve the paint anyhow. (hobby paint is not designed for the level of handling trains get, vs a model car which will not be touched.)
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Jay
Offline ajayrav  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2020 20:06:39(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ajay
In HO, I use semi gloss paint to obtain close-to-factory aspect
Here is an old G800 (1952) Märklin Loco where the black paint was renewed 10 years ago.
UserPostedImage
Cheers
Jean

Your repaint looks great, thanks for the advice! I do believe that a flatter finish is used on the modern Z scale locomotives that have plastic bodies...

Cheers,
Ajay
Offline ajayrav  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2020 20:10:05(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ajay,

First tip- spray a test strip and compare. DRG/DB may have used RAL3004, but Marklin likely did not. I ran into this exact problem with the same color code just 2 weeks ago, on HO scale.

Moving on, satin or semigloss both work. Or paint flat and varnish/clear coast with semi, which is what I'd in order to preserve the paint anyhow. (hobby paint is not designed for the level of handling trains get, vs a model car which will not be touched.)

Thanks! I think I will email Marklin and ask what color and texture they recommend as a match.

Cheers,
Ajay

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2020 22:05:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have some pictures of the Humbrol colour charts for DB paint colours that I photographed at a model shop (with the owner's permission) some years ago. The shop owner has since retired so the shop is now gone.

Anyway, for Purple Red (Purpurrot) the chart says to use Humbrol #20, with an overcoat of Humbrol #135 (which I believe is a satin clear coat varnish).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ajayrav  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2020 16:39:09(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Marklin got back to me. They use RAL 3004 (purple red) in a semi-gloss finish for my railbus. Thanks for all the advice!

Ajay
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ajayrav
Offline Br502362  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2020 18:33:57(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: ajayrav Go to Quoted Post
Marklin got back to me. They use RAL 3004 (purple red) in a semi-gloss finish for my railbus. Thanks for all the advice!

Ajay

Great!ThumpUp

I asked Märklin for green paint code to my CE800 locomotive.

The answer was that they don't have one at the office so they can't check it.
I am red/green color blind so I can't compare different RAL colors to match my loco Sad

I read somewhere that RAL 6020 could be right. Has anybody knowledge which RAL codes DB used in the 50-60's?

Cheers

Åke

Offline Tom Jessop  
#9 Posted : 04 May 2020 03:41:52(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
This link for TTN repairs may be of some value . https://ttn-shop.com/?fb..._nL0bJXvstyXRd5AMUS0fHOQ

Gives RAL & a color sample .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Br502362  
#10 Posted : 04 May 2020 06:33:03(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
^

Thanks Tom!

That is a very useful website ThumpUp

Cheers

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2020 17:40:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Just notice this post.

I just wanted to add this.

One thing about the railbus is that they seem to come in a variety of colors and conditions. The red is the most common of course. When watching videos of the railbus there is usually many which are strongly bleached out because they have not be restored yet. When restored, the color is strong and polished. I have noticed a difference even with the z railbus. There are variations in the appearance. I have the Railbus 88311 set and I have noted this one has a strong more purple shade of red when compared to the others. My point is that it is not a serious issue if the color is a bit off when compared side by side. This is actually prototypical.

I long time back I actually purchased spare body shells and wanted the truly worn ones so I would have some contrast from the others. The seller reminded me how worn they were, but I didn’t care. Since then, I have actually added more weathering to enhance the wear. If you noticed, the roofs of the real ones are usually stained with the black exhaust. The silver roof was one place I added the black color of weathering. I used the Tamika weathering master kit usually used with war modeling and I like the look.

Have you located the rub-one which add advertising to your railbus? A great custom appearance. Search the web for these.

Best wishes with your railbus. They must be one of my favorites.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2020 01:37:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
I asked Märklin for green paint code to my CE800 locomotive.

I'm guessing it is Chromoxydgrun (Chromium Oxide Green). The worst you could do is mix some up and compare it.

DB_PaintColours_#1.jpg
Offline Br502362  
#13 Posted : 20 May 2020 06:52:09(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
^

Thanks David ThumpUp

I had seen that photo somewhere but didn't find it. Humbrol 195 should be just that RAL6020.
I will try that and mix some up also.

Cheers

Åke
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2020 07:35:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes I have posted them before, but sometimes it is easier to repost rather than try to find them.

Here's the other two pages.

DB_PaintColours_#2.jpg

DB_PaintColours_Measurements.jpg
Offline ajayrav  
#15 Posted : 21 May 2020 19:14:31(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Just notice this post.

I just wanted to add this.

One thing about the railbus is that they seem to come in a variety of colors and conditions. The red is the most common of course. When watching videos of the railbus there is usually many which are strongly bleached out because they have not be restored yet. When restored, the color is strong and polished. I have noticed a difference even with the z railbus. There are variations in the appearance. I have the Railbus 88311 set and I have noted this one has a strong more purple shade of red when compared to the others. My point is that it is not a serious issue if the color is a bit off when compared side by side. This is actually prototypical.

I long time back I actually purchased spare body shells and wanted the truly worn ones so I would have some contrast from the others. The seller reminded me how worn they were, but I didn’t care. Since then, I have actually added more weathering to enhance the wear. If you noticed, the roofs of the real ones are usually stained with the black exhaust. The silver roof was one place I added the black color of weathering. I used the Tamika weathering master kit usually used with war modeling and I like the look.

Have you located the rub-one which add advertising to your railbus? A great custom appearance. Search the web for these.

Best wishes with your railbus. They must be one of my favorites.

I love my railbus. Mine actually has been digitized and has pick-up from the trailer car as well, so it crawls beautifully. The interior is just crying for some passengers, so that will happen sometime, along with the couplers being removed and the front filled in. The only problem is it cannot do MT or Rokuhan turnouts... the wheels of the driving car just spin. Other than that, I love it! And yes, the roof needs weathering....

Ajay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ajayrav
Zme
Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 22 May 2020 06:10:38(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

I have not had issues with my railbuses like you mention, but I am using Marklin track. I have noticed sometimes after cleaning, no matter how careful I am, the switch point gets lifted a bit higher than normal. Perhaps this happens on your switches. I can see where taking a video can help in figuring this out. It would be a shame to not have this sorted out.

I noticed my 88311 is manufactured in China. Perhaps the location of manufacture makes a difference on the color of the shell. I don’t think this is a big issue however.

I have seen custom railbus shells for sale on EBay, but they are few and far between.

I checked the source for the customer advertising banners and I found out they are not offering them anymore. The source was Zcustomizer.de. Perhaps someone else will pickup this and let’s us know.

Never realized how many different colors and advertising was added to these railbuses. If you have not seen them, here is a good image search.

https://www.google.nl/se...HqwKHZ59Cc8QuIIBegQIABAt

Best wishes. That is a long link, hope it works.

Offline Br502362  
#17 Posted : 18 August 2020 11:19:10(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

Now I have my old CE800 finally repainted.

Old paint was peeling off and it looked quite sad.
IMG_20200416_074033.jpg

I then dismantled it and carefully stored all loose parts.
IMG_20200803_142557~3.jpg

I used AK Interactive paint stripper which worked well but it took more than recommended 5 minutes before paint was coming off.
IMG_20200818_114408.jpg

Then I scrubbed the body with coarse sponge and washed it carefully with soap and water.
After it had dried I sprayed two thin layers of plastic primer. After an hour I painted the roof with Humbrol 27001 matt aluminium paint.
Waited 12 hours and painted the lower part with Humbrol 195 dark green satin which was the right shade. Vallejo 71.019 RAL 6007 was too grey.
Finally I sprayed the whole body with Humbrol 135 satin varnish.
IMG_20200818_104915~2.jpg

Now the loco looks like this.
IMG_20200818_104823.jpg

Many thanks for your advice ThumpUp

Cheers
Åke
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2020 11:07:56(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The housing of the CE800 is plastic?

Anyway, excellent result!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Br502362  
#19 Posted : 20 August 2020 11:13:31(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
The housing of the CE800 is plastic?

Anyway, excellent result!

Yes it is plastic and quite soft.

Thanks Smile

Åke