Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2020 18:51:48(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear friends,
For reason I can't understand in my new Märklin Gauge 1 Diorama 2 of my K83 Decoder (6083) are burnt on their yellow socket. Do you have, please, any tip for restoring them? Is it available, or, in your experience, I've to consider them totally dead?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Best regards
Stefano
Offline mrmarklin  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2020 16:28:02(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Dear friends,
For reason I can't understand in my new Märklin Gauge 1 Diorama 2 of my K83 Decoder (6083) are burnt on their yellow socket. Do you have, please, any tip for restoring them? Is it available, or, in your experience, I've to consider them totally dead?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Best regards
Stefano

This is reparable as the transistors have likely burnt out. They can be repaired with more robust replacements. But it’s way beyond my pay grade. A friend of mine who was an electrical engineer did mine. Cool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2020 16:47:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Stefano
Here is the inside of the 6083
6083 IMG_2380.JPG
If the unit is totally dead then I recommend you change it.
If this is only one output which is dead then replace the bipolar transistor (careful to solder it in the proper position as not all transistors are soldered in the same orientation)
They are BD 680. Here is a side view of the 6083
M83.png

Look here https://fr.farnell.com/stmicroel...;CMP=KNC-GFR-GEN-SKU-MDC
I recommend you not to use more powerful transistors as it will burn elsewhere
Hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Rocca  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2020 19:21:24(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear Jean and dear MrMärklin, Thank you s so much for your help and I'll try to fix the issue on my own or with the help of a very good friend of mine who is very good in soldering. And, especially thank you so much for the link, Jean! is it the BD680, the one I need for fixing? Very pleased for your help! Have a good evening! Thank you so much! Best regards
Stefano
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2020 15:11:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Yes Stefano. I repaired one of my 6083 buying a few of these transistors (You better buy a few of them since shipment may be the key cost here
Jean
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2020 12:47:12(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Yes Stefano. I repaired one of my 6083 buying a few of these transistors (You better buy a few of them since shipment may be the key cost here
Jean

Thanks very much Jeanjean and Stephano for your posts,

I have had two 6083 units become unservicable in the last few years (after only at least 21 years of service !), each with one or two of the four output section terminals failing accompanied by that "BBQ'd component" smell. I replaced them with stock of 6083's I had gradually accumulated from eBay for future projects.

Neverthless I kept the unservicable 6083's in that special drawer-for-the-future.Sneaky

What glee to now learn from your postings that I can replace the bipolar transistors ( I never thought to look) with the BD 680's which I find I can source from Sydney at A$1.22 per component !!ThumpUp

What a great and useful forum this is !!BigGrin

Regards,

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Rocca  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2020 16:24:35(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear Johnjean,
Good afternoon! I need your help again, please! The BD680 are arrived few days ago and today I wanted to fix the decoder. But my 6083 seems totally different from yours. I attach here some pics and maybe you can suggest me what to do.
IMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

Best regards
Stefano

Hi Stefano
Here is the inside of the 6083

If the unit is totally dead then I recommend you change it.
If this is only one output which is dead then replace the bipolar transistor (careful to solder it in the proper position as not all transistors are soldered in the same orientation)
They are BD 680. Here is a side view of the 6083

Look here https://fr.farnell.com/stmicroel...;CMP=KNC-GFR-GEN-SKU-MDC
I recommend you not to use more powerful transistors as it will burn elsewhere
Hope this helps
Jean
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2020 19:17:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Sefano

You have a much later 6083 version than what I have. Yours have surface mounted devices (SMD) likely to be made in late 1990's.

Yes it is probably repairable but (IMO):
- you need to identify and procure the power SMD to replace (one of those 8 pins chips near the connecting plugs.
- you need to have a professional soldering station for replacing SMD.

SMD soldering / un-soldering must be made at the very exact temperature (too low you will tear some conducting tracks- too high: you will damage the PCB-printed circuit board)

I don't have such an equipment (motorised vaccum pump, hot air, chip-specific blades, etc) and personally I wouldn't spend too much on these 6083 devices because -I said this already- they must receive a switch OFF order to disconnect the solenoids (If they don't then both the 6083 AND the solenoid item will be destroyed ). With newer units 60832, if an ON order has been received, the 60832 will locally turn it OFF hence limiting the danger of burning one switch or signal.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Rocca  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2020 20:05:07(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   

Hi Jean,
I supposed this was the problem :-(. I purchased such 6083 on E-bay and probably it is just my fault, because I didn't ever wonder similar troublshouting. Anyway, I suppose I need to replace them with the new ones. Thank you so much for your help. Repairing them seems out of my technical range...lol
Best regards
Stefano

Hi Sefano

You have a much later 6083 version than what I have. Yours have surface mounted devices (SMD) likely to be made in late 1990's.

Yes it is probably repairable but (IMO):
- you need to identify and procure the power SMD to replace (one of those 8 pins chips near the connecting plugs.
- you need to have a professional soldering station for replacing SMD.

SMD soldering / un-soldering must be made at the very exact temperature (too low you will tear some conducting tracks- too high: you will damage the PCB-printed circuit board)

I don't have such an equipment (motorised vaccum pump, hot air, chip-specific blades, etc) and personally I wouldn't spend too much on these 6083 devices because -I said this already- they must receive a switch OFF order to disconnect the solenoids (If they don't then both the 6083 AND the solenoid item will be destroyed ). With newer units 60832, if an ON order has been received, the 60832 will locally turn it OFF hence limiting the danger of burning one switch or signal.
Cheers
Jean