Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhNOR  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2019 23:35:13(UTC)
rhNOR

Hi,
I see that Märklin my world is coming out with a building block set for elevated railroads. https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/72221/
As I understand it the my world tracks have the same dimensions and size as the regular C-track so I assume that it should fit, but will the grades be to steep for regular trains?

I'm only setting up on my living room floor and this set looks ideal to add some dimension to the layouts, and looks like it won't take a lot of storage space.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rhNOR
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2019 18:54:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Looks like a “Lego brick” system allowing for creating individual pillar heights and flexible distances between pillars. Therefore, the inclination - too steep or not - is up to you.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline rhNOR  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2019 20:41:18(UTC)
rhNOR

Well that's a good point. Smile
But since this is only pillars the track has to support the weight between the pillars, so I'm thinking the pillars should be placed on the track joints.
Looking at the pictures it seems like it needs 5 bricks to reach the height you need for it to pass over other tracks. So if I use the 24188 track I would need 5 tracks with the total length of 94cm.

I haven't found any info on how tall the different "lego bricks" are but it just seems to me that it would be alot steeper than what is suggested in the catalog for the more regular bridges Märklin have.
It doesn't look to expensive so I might get a set when it comes out, but my concern is that I might damage the locomotives if it is to steep.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhNOR
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2019 23:30:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Faller do an up and over set. More expensive but it looks better and locos will go over it without any bother. I don't have the part number to hand but it is in their catalogue.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2019 14:48:52(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Hornby sells track incline sets R909 and R658:

https://www.newrailwaymo....uk/Scenery/inclines.htm

I used some “related” R659 elevated piers on my layout “Hi-Land”.
Foto am 18.10.18 um 09.46.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2019 14:51:36(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Double entry
Offline rhNOR  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2020 09:34:59(UTC)
rhNOR

Hi

Don't mean to bump an old thread but thought I'd give an update to what I ended up doing.

It was mentioned in the thread that it looked similar to lego bricks and that gave me the idea, why not just use Lego?
So that's what I did. I went to a store where I could pick the lego bricks i wanted and buy them by the kilo.

Result ended up like this:
20200307_112642_2.jpg

Personally I feel this is a better solution than the building blocks I was first considering since I have more flexibility in height increments.

Thanks for all your input :)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rhNOR
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2020 12:25:05(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
And you could choose the colors that you want, instead of what is supplied ThumpUp

and you can build a whole LEGO city to go with:

UserPostedImage
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline rrf  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2020 12:52:58(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Nice!

I'll have to experiment with this on the kids' layouts. Have you figured out a good ratio of Lego blocks to track length (for example: 1 x standard brick per 360 mm of track)?

Thanks,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline rhNOR  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2020 11:22:54(UTC)
rhNOR

Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Nice!

Have you figured out a good ratio of Lego blocks to track length (for example: 1 x standard brick per 360 mm of track)?

Thanks,

No I haven't. This is the highest point and if I had to guess I'd say that it took me about 1,5m to get there.
It uses a lot more bricks than i first thought so I had to go back the the store a couple of times. It is also possible to add those 1/3 pieces to adjust the height even more. I try to place the "pillars" for every piece of track but I also make sure that the track is always resting on the lego even when a train is not on the tracks. So it takes some adjustments to get there but I'm quite happy with the result.

Not exactly very prototypical but I'll survive. :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhNOR
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2020 12:14:33(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
rfNOR said:
"Not exactly very prototypical but I'll survive. :)"

I feel a "There's a prototype for everything" challenge coming on LOL

I will get started on the search (I have my Indiana Jones hat on and away I go...)
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 02 April 2020 13:10:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Nice!

I'll have to experiment with this on the kids' layouts. Have you figured out a good ratio of Lego blocks to track length (for example: 1 x standard brick per 360 mm of track)?

Thanks,

I had and still have the same ideas as @rhNor had, even with the one with the Lego stones. But I have not yet made up my mind.

If you are using MyWorld for your kids, than it makes sense to use this "Hochbahn" (is it high rise tracks?). Starting set is article #29307, then #23302, then #72221 and the bridge #72218. But only 72221 and 72218 has no plastic tracks inside. These tracks are for electric MRR useless and you can throw them away. Not, if you use MyWorld for kids anyway. The construction by these stones are very easy, because the asent and descent is always only one stone after another up to a maximum high of 4 stones. Then your underpass by other trains is possibe. The crosspiece is perfectly fitting for all C-tracks as well, because this MyWorld can be used with every C-track as well. But the other way around is impossible. MyWorld is a battery operating (therefore more or less a non electrical) toy.

And indeed these packages 72221 and 72218 are not expensive and not bad for any carpet railroader like myself.BigGrin

See more pictures for your information in the MyWorld catalogue (major pages are 19 and 20)

MyWorld catalogues
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf