Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2020 17:20:46(UTC)
obb_taurus

I have a 1st gen ECOS and the tab on one of the rotary controls that is responsible for changing directions gave way and I've been trying for quite a few months to find out if I can get a new one. I've tried contacting ESU directly with no luck as they apparently won't answer anyone who lives in North America, I then tried going through a couple authorized resellers with no better luck. Is ESU really that bad with customer support? Can anyone tell me how to get in contact with them to order replacement parts?

Thanks

Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2020 19:51:40(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Did you try the US office at:

support(at)loksound.com or
sales(at)loksound.com

Hope you find a solution.

Harold.
Offline obb_taurus  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2020 20:44:59(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Did you try the US office at:

support(at)loksound.com or
sales(at)loksound.com

Hope you find a solution.

Harold.

I had not previously seen these email addresses, will give them a try.

Thanks Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by obb_taurus
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2020 22:52:26(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Don’t expect an answer!

I’ve tried several times contacting them via mail and their forum. No nothing! I do like their products, but customer support stinks!

Peder
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2020 04:13:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
You may get a quicker answer when you ask the question in the forum section and choose the English version, I could be wrong but getting parts for the first generation EcoS may be difficult.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2020 03:36:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I bought an ESU loco from MSL and when I found it was too expensive to send it back to Germany for service I tried to buy the parts I needed directly from ESU. They never even bothered to answer me to blow me off! Later I was told that they do not sell repair parts directly to customers, at least not in North America. They have a great service rep for their decoders in the US and he was really nice in answering my questions, but he told me that since the locos are not officially sold here, even he could not get me repair parts, at least for their locos.

Unfortunately that ended my experiment with ESU locos, even though my ESU V 200 is beautiful and loaded with cool features. But if I can't buy the parts I need to keep it running it is just a matter of time until it becomes a very pretty door stop and I have no interest in that. I hope that you can find a source for the parts for your ECOS, but I do not believe that it will be easy.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline sjbartels  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2020 05:24:39(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I bought an ESU loco from MSL and when I found it was too expensive to send it back to Germany for service I tried to buy the parts I needed directly from ESU. They never even bothered to answer me to blow me off! Later I was told that they do not sell repair parts directly to customers, at least not in North America. They have a great service rep for their decoders in the US and he was really nice in answering my questions, but he told me that since the locos are not officially sold here, even he could not get me repair parts, at least for their locos.

Unfortunately that ended my experiment with ESU locos, even though my ESU V 200 is beautiful and loaded with cool features. But if I can't buy the parts I need to keep it running it is just a matter of time until it becomes a very pretty door stop and I have no interest in that. I hope that you can find a source for the parts for your ECOS, but I do not believe that it will be easy.

I wanted some AC wheels for my pullman tank cars (ESU) that I nought. Those I was able to order through my dealer here in the US with no problem
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2020 16:52:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
I wanted some AC wheels for my pullman tank cars (ESU) that I nought. Those I was able to order through my dealer here in the US with no problem

Thanks - that is good to know.

Because I bought my loco from MSL I didn't try getting parts from my normal go to dealer, AJCKids. They are super helpful in getting obscure Märklin parts so I should see if they can get me brushes for the motor and a PCB for the end lights, one of which is out. I have never done the fine work to replace a SMT LED, which I fear is beyond my skill set!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2020 19:14:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- ESU north america I find to be very good actually. Call them. I always get help/a fast response, frankly much better than markling and a few others, which has earned my loyalty to ESU decoders.

One caveat I guess- the past 2-3 weeks I have been trying to reach them, and to no avail. I suspect everyone is stuck at home so they are converting locomotives!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mmervine  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2020 02:32:54(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
They have posted on the web site that the USA office is closed per order of the state of PA.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2020 15:50:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Tell me the spare part number and I'll tell you if its available from ESU

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 06 April 2020 16:27:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks John.

My ESU loco is #31089. The motor failure was related to one of the replaceable brushes, and my parts diagram does not call out a part number for them, just the motor. The motor is working fine right now so I am ignoring that. One of the leds on the end lights does not work and my manual lists "Front Licht Platine V200" PN 35080.SP.24.

I have not has this loco out in a while and I am reminded once again of just how beautiful it is!

Stay well everyone!
Regards,
Jim

Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2020 17:20:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Thanks John.

My ESU loco is #31089. The motor failure was related to one of the replaceable brushes, and my parts diagram does not call out a part number for them, just the motor. The motor is working fine right now so I am ignoring that. One of the leds on the end lights does not work and my manual lists "Front Licht Platine V200" PN 35080.SP.24.

I have not has this loco out in a while and I am reminded once again of just how beautiful it is!

Stay well everyone!

this part is no longer available, the only thing I could do, send me the led board and I'll try to fix the led

John

Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2020 18:59:24(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
this part is no longer available, the only thing I could do, send me the led board and I'll try to fix the led

Thanks John - that is very generous of you!

I will check to see if I can get that done locally and let you know once the world has returned to being somewhat normal again. For now my primitive DCM powered Märklin V200 is filling that slot in my roster, and I don't think Märklin gets enough credit for their long term product support compared to other makers.

Regards,
Jim

Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2020 06:18:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
All in all you're right, Märklin may have more spare parts from the older locos than the newer ones.