Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarcelV  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2020 03:13:17(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
I oiled one of my locks tonight for the first time. I just tried to run it and all functions work well. The only problem I have is that I lost all traction power on the loc. I think I got oil on the traction tires? How can I fix this? Will it require a new set of traction tires or is there a good way to get rid of the grease. The loc works fine if it runs by itself. But as soon as I add rolling stock, it seems to slip constantly and irregular. Any thoughts?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2020 04:15:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: MarcelV Go to Quoted Post
I oiled one of my locks tonight for the first time. I just tried to run it and all functions work well. The only problem I have is that I lost all traction power on the loc. I think I got oil on the traction tires? How can I fix this? Will it require a new set of traction tires or is there a good way to get rid of the grease. The loc works fine if it runs by itself. But as soon as I add rolling stock, it seems to slip constantly and irregular. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately you've oiled the rubber tyres as well and this means new tyres., by ascertain whether it is the tyres, use a flat screwdriver and if the rubber tyres can freely move its time tho change to new ones.

John

Edited by user 13 November 2020 14:44:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2020 04:27:39(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you could try removing the tires and cleaning the oil off with some hand cleaner. Dry them well and try them again.

Oil needs to be applied very carefully - a drop on each axle and one on each motor bearing.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline MarcelV  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2020 04:37:57(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Thanks John and Dale for the fast response. I removed the traction tires and cleaned them with dish soap. It’s a little better but not by much. Afraid I have to order new ones. Can I add more traction tires to the lok so I will have covered the other wheels as well? Asking because I clearly added too much oil in general. Next time I will be a little more careful! At least I learned something today with this exercise... :)
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2020 07:48:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks John and Dale for the fast response. I removed the traction tires and cleaned them with dish soap. It’s a little better but not by much. Afraid I have to order new ones. Can I add more traction tires to the lok so I will have covered the other wheels as well? Asking because I clearly added too much oil in general. Next time I will be a little more careful! At least I learned something today with this exercise... :)

Very easily done and M. don't really make it that that easy with their applicator. The older style with the metal applicator is easier than the newer nozzle but both still allow too much oil to be applied.

But I realise that there is a safety aspect to them as well.

Next time you visit your Doctor, Nurse or Dentist, ask them for a syringe with the needle. You'll need to explain why of course but I just finished a project with a friend where I had to lubricate maybe 200 Locos and rolling stock.

I can tell you that using a syringe not only gave me far more precise control of where I was putting the oil, especially getting right onto the loco wheel axles, but it also means I applied only the smallest drop.

DISCLAIMER

Of course, it goes without saying - you cannot be careful enough using these. These are EXTREMELY SHARP and will pierce skin without you even feeling it.

If you have a tendency towards clumsiness, this may not be a tip for you. Scared

Syringe1.JPG

Syringe2.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Gregor  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2020 09:35:58(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Can I add more traction tires to the lok so I will have covered the other wheels as well?

No you cannot... the wheels that are meant to have a tyre have a recession machined in them to receive the tyre, the other don't. The tyres will fall off if you fit them on those wheels.

Some wheels need to be without rubber anyway for power pickup.

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2020 11:56:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

If you remove the tyres, and clean them with either IPA (Iso-Propyl Alcohol), or some other mild solvent (Methylated Spirits etc) you should be able to remove the oil and get them back to how they were but if they were already quite old then the oil may have been the last straw. But cleaning should buy you a little time to get replacements :-)

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline MarcelV  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2020 15:50:58(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Thanks everyone for your advise. I will order a new set of tires. I did clean them with isopropyl alcohol and that improved it a little bit as well. But it’s not back to the way it pulled before. Especially when cars are being pulled through the R1 turns, it’s noticeable. So, next step is putting in an order for those.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2020 17:42:55(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
of course cleaning the oil of the wheels is just as critical...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2020 19:09:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Also important to clean the tracks, because a lot of the oil will have found itself onto them.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2020 21:59:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Also important to clean the tracks, because a lot of the oil will have found itself onto them.

Yes, very good point. I also wonder, whether or not you may have over-oiled the motor bearings and now have oil on the motor brushes? - that will definitely impede performance that no amount of tyre changing will fix.

Run it with the body off, if you notice a lot of sparking or smell burning then you may need to remove the motor housing and clean it and the armature and clean or replace the brushes.

Over-oiling means can be as much trouble as too little.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline MarcelV  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2020 22:41:35(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Will do that. I think I am ok because other locs don’t seem to slip. But will go through this exercise, just in case...

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Yes, very good point. I also wonder, whether or not you may have over-oiled the motor bearings and now have oil on the motor brushes? - that will definitely impede performance that no amount of tyre changing will fix.

Hope not. But will check it. Will be a first to completely disassemble a motor, so little nervous about doing that. Don’t want to mess up a locomotive. But sooner or later have to go through that exercise not matter what, so might as well do it now.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and direction how to undo my novice actions!