Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:35:28(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Marklin has updated the 74461 decoders and made them DCC enabled. If you have a MFX contoller it will seek out the factory set MFX address and that will override the dip switch setting. The boxes are clearly labeled "DCC" and when you bring up the attachments setting the switch is labeled with a "m". 2.jfif (63kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2020 21:18:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has updated the 74461 decoders and made them DCC enabled. If you have a MFX contoller it will seek out the factory set MFX address and that will override the dip switch setting. The boxes are clearly labeled "DCC" and when you bring up the attachments setting the switch is labeled with a "m". 2.jfif (63kb) downloaded 48 time(s).

Thanks for your hint. Was not aware yet, Maerklin offers since 2019 (see last Maerklin Catalogue 2019/2020) actually another new mounting decoder for C-tracks, a third one.

74460 with MM (fx) format - no longer build
74461 with MM (fx), DCC format - no longer build
74462 with MM (fx), DCC, mfx format
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2020 00:37:38(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
You are correct. I grabbed an older box which had slid on top of the new ones which are 74462 and have a mfx in front of the DCC.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2020 06:29:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has updated the 74461 decoders and made them DCC enabled. If you have a MFX contoller it will seek out the factory set MFX address and that will override the dip switch setting. The boxes are clearly labeled "DCC" and when you bring up the attachments setting the switch is labeled with a "m".

The 74461 has been DCC capable from the getgo.

Maybe you were meant to say "Marklin has updated the 74461 decoders with a 74462"
(A similar statement can be made about the 74465 being updated to the 74466)

This concept is the same catch up as from the m83 (60831->60832) and the m84 (60841->60842)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the mfx reference is for confiuration management only .
There is no such thing for these units as an operational mfx address.
You MAY (see below) use the mfx protocol to configure the MM/DCC address. But when set is is USED/CONTROLLED by MM or DCC.

HOWEVER. While you can set the address with the mfx configuration protocol, you cannot set the MM/DCC mode - this still requires you to know which one you want and to physically set DIP switch position 10 applicably.

As to the comment
"If you have a MFX controller it will seek out the factory set MFX address and that will override the dip switch setting."

Unlike a Locomotive, the discovery of these decoders is initiated by the User and does not have to be done this way at all
Also, and this may depend on the controller, the discovery MAY retain the discovered (MM/DCC) address OR locate an unused one and assign that.

Personally I would always
- decide on the address I wish to use
- set the dip switches to match (so they are in agreement with the soft programing) - exception being if address is above 511
- only use the mFX configuration tool for the NON address CV changes.

P.S. may I suggest amending the thread title with a reference to "C-Track, under roadbed turnout decoder" rather than just the number.
A reference to it being for single switch turnouts as distinguished from the 74465/6 decoder for 3-Way points may help readers.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2020 06:31:01(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your hint. Was not aware yet, Maerklin offers since 2019 (see last Maerklin Catalogue 2019/2020) actually another new mounting decoder for C-tracks, a third one.

74460 with MM (fx) format - no longer build
74461 with MM (fx), DCC format - no longer build
74462 with MM (fx), DCC, mfx format

As I note that you used the term "mounting decoders for C-Track", may I suggest you include a reference to the 74465/74466

And may I suggest adding a reference to what its actual function is in English!!
- That being "C-Track, under roadbed decoder for turnouts" rather than just the product number.
- A reference to it being for single switch turnouts as distinguished from the 74465/6 decoder for 3-Way turnouts may help readers.
Peter