Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James1192  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2020 21:20:01(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Does anyone know a reason why a quality Brawa 3 rail locomotive wouldn’t work with a simple Marklin Train Set IR digital control?
I ask because I have a Brawa AC loco bit no marklin Digital equipment to test it on. I would be quite happy to buy
00748 + 66201 to run it but I guess there is little point in spending $20 if it is not going to work!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2020 00:00:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: James1192 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know a reason why a quality Brawa 3 rail locomotive wouldn’t work with a simple Marklin Train Set IR digital control?
I ask because I have a Brawa AC loco bit no marklin Digital equipment to test it on. I would be quite happy to buy
00748 + 66201 to run it but I guess there is little point in spending $20 if it is not going to work!

The IR controller only has 4 addresses that it can select. your loco is probably set to some other address.

Check the IR control operating instructions to find out how to change the address. Make sure there is only one loco on the track when you do otherwise all locos will be set to the same address.

Offline James1192  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2020 07:51:06(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
I believe the Loco I have will be factory set to ‘3’ - so in essence you are saying it should work with one of these simple controls
Thank You
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2020 08:49:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I believe the Loco I have will be factory set to ‘3

'3' is normally the default address for a loco using DCC. The Marklin IR controller will only work with the Marklin Motorola protocol, and is limited to 4 of those addresses

Position 1 = MM-Address 78

Position 2 = MM-Address 72

Position 3 = MM-Address 60

Position 4 = MM-Address 24

You need to set your Brawa loco to one of the four above MM addresses.
Offline James1192  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2020 09:27:06(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
And I can do this with 00748 + 66201?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2020 09:36:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
66201 is a power pack so has no bearing on this discussion. 00748 is the IR controller, apparently you can program addresses with it but I have no idea how. Check the manual.
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2020 09:47:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
apparently you can program addresses with it but I have no idea how.

Yes, you can program the address of your loco, using the infrared set to give the loco one of the 4 addresses;
but I don't think it will work for a loco decoder set up for DCC.

If your loco is set up for MM, you can use the infrared set to change the decoder to one of the 4 above mentioned MM-addresses.

From the manual:

Changing an Address:
If you have 2 locomotives with the same address, you can
change the address for one locomotive as follows:
Unplug the transformer. Set the address switches (9*) to the
desired address. Press the button „Change Direction“ (7*). Hold
this button pressed down while the lens (8*) on the IR-Control
shows to the receiver, and plug the transformer back into the
wall outlet.
Release the button as soon the light comes on. The programming
procedure is displayed when the light comes or blinks. As soon
as the light goes out, the programming is turned off. The locomotive
can now be run with the new address.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline James1192  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2020 10:03:36(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Well this is getting a bit off course for me
The Locomotive is a Brawa AC Loco - straight from the box as produced - would it be programmed to work on simple Maerklin digital control?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2020 10:06:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Check the loco's manual to see if it has a default MM address. If so, then proceed as above. If not you might need to find someone or a dealer with a MS2 or CSx who can change the loco address for you.
Offline James1192  
#10 Posted : 18 January 2020 11:09:01(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Looking closer Hinweise says

Digitalbetrieb: Fahrbetrieb Vorwaerts-Stopp-Rueckwaerts

ADRESSE:”03” (DCC and Maerklin Motorola)

So I guess it does have a MM address of 03 and so could be changed to 78 / 72 / 60 / 24

Thank you Big Biker aus Neuseeland and Mr Purrelum fuer die Erklaerung
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2020 15:36:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well this is getting a bit off course for me
The Locomotive is a Brawa AC Loco - straight from the box as produced - would it be programmed to work on simple Maerklin digital control?

but what is the catalogue number? That may help identify the manufacturer of the decoder.
Offline James1192  
#12 Posted : 18 January 2020 22:21:16(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
40635. I have had some unhappy experiences with Brawa’s 3 rail version of this locomotive. It has the oddest ‘skater’ which although is nice and small and hides behind all the wheels (Great!) it can easily become dislodged. I returned one to Brawa previously and they sent it back to me with a Skater attached that just looked like Maerklin 3087 i.e. Chunky and on full display in front of the wheels.
A second sale price locomotive came with the identical problem with skater. It worked perfectly, though and I sort of accepted it as it was, but at the turn of the year I decided to replace it with a DCC Model 46098 (BBOe Schwarz) to use alongside my Fleischmann 4098 and beautiful Fleischmann coaches. The AC loco was sold on ebay but then the buyer asked for a return because “the skater was broken”
So I have this locomotive back at home - and she is really pretty, and I would happily use it alongside 3087 as a ‘Spielzeugeisenbahnlok’ but I no longer have a decent AC controller!
Offline James1192  
#13 Posted : 29 January 2020 23:57:19(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
I got rid of it, I don’t need the expense of trying to do something about it!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2020 16:21:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I got rid of it, I don’t need the expense of trying to do something about it!

Did you even try changing the address with the IR control? Just getting rid seems somewhat drastic if you didn't.

Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 30 January 2020 17:15:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It sounds like James' heart wasn't really in it. It's a shame as Brawa locos are at least as good as Marklin. I have two in my collection and in both cases I've changed the addresses with my MS2.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline James1192  
#16 Posted : 30 January 2020 18:55:47(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like James' heart wasn't really in it. It's a shame as Brawa locos are at least as good as Marklin. I have two in my collection and in both cases I've changed the addresses with my MS2.

I have the beautiful locomotive as a DCC Model ‘BBeO’ Black with identical side tanks and with no issues, so the 3rail version was just becoming a ‘headache’ really. I know I might be vilified on here for saying this,but, life is neat and a lot sweeter without sliders!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by James1192
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2020 20:24:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

I have the beautiful locomotive as a DCC Model ‘BBeO’ Black with identical side tanks and with no issues, so the 3rail version was just becoming a ‘headache’ really. I know I might be vilified on here for saying this,but, life is neat and a lot sweeter without sliders!

To each his own!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2020 22:41:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Well I have to try tasting one of my sliders, if it is really sour.Laugh

Before see this little video:

Important: press down the bar for changing the direction as long as you stick the power supply into the track current feeder box (base station).

This video is without words, only subtitles. For reading in English see the link to this manual from Märklin start-up 29184 (I do have this set by my own) and read point 7.3 "Changing an adress".

https://static.maerklin....ee29b90d811553158290.pdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline James1192  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2020 08:25:19(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Well I have to try tasting one of my sliders, if it is really sour.Laugh

Before see this little video:

Important: press down the bar for changing the direction as long as you stick the power supply into the track current feeder box (base station).

This video is without words, only subtitles. For reading in English see the link to this manual from Märklin start-up 29184 (I do have this set by my own) and read point 7.3 "Changing an adress".

https://static.maerklin....ee29b90d811553158290.pdf

OK OK! Maerklin Start Up IS neat - and I do actually like the control function here. It is a delightful way in getting people interested in operating and owning Model Trains! Maerklin are very good at what they do.. The idea of running some Start Up Engines simultaneously is great. I know the rationale of offering the Lego and Jim Knopf variants recently, but it does seem a shame that they seem to have skipped the option of a cheaper starter set with a regular Steam Tank Engine with Sound Function. I thought one would have naturally followed the DHG 700 example - but hey, Maerklin know better than me at what is going to sell!

This aside, however, when I pay a lot of money for an intricate locomotive with Digital operation - aesthetically - I do not like a slider poking out under what, these days, can be almost perfection. But that’s just me!